Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-14-2011, 02:26 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Good Lens?

I just found this in a thrift shop. It's clean and bright. Snappy aperture function.

11-14-2011, 02:30 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It doesn't look like something I would put on my camera, but being a 50mm, it will probably take good photos

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

11-14-2011, 02:42 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Does it have an A/M switch? If not it will only shoot wide open till you modify the pin. I'm pretty sure that it's auto only.

Can't find much info on the Oreston (it was used as a kit lens by Exacta but not in M42) but at least it's not a Domiplan.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/71718-meyer-op...lens-ever.html

Last edited by boriscleto; 11-14-2011 at 02:51 PM.
11-14-2011, 02:56 PM   #4
Pentaxian

My first SLR lens was a Meyer-Optik Oreston 50mm / f 2.8 on a fully manual Praktica body.

While it wouldn't be as good as an SMC 50 or 55mm, that lens was 'workable' and had few glaring defects. It worked for me for many years. The f 1.8 was reportedly better, but I could not afford it at the time.

The A / M switch can be seen on the right edge of the right pic. That lens won't be the best 50 out there, but it is decent and usable. If it is cheap, give it a shot. Boris' link above gives you an idea of what can be done with it.

11-14-2011, 03:06 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
It has the switch. At 5 bucks I had to grab it!
11-14-2011, 03:40 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
At five bucks it certainly conforms to RioRico's rules on lens buying
11-14-2011, 03:53 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Yes, that is most likely from a Praktica and certainly worth $5 -- if in good shape worth at least $50...
11-14-2011, 05:56 PM   #8
Veteran Member

The M42 Meyer Oreston 50/1.8 is a superior cheap lens, much loved for decent optics and close focusing. CFD is about 33cm, where most other Fifties only go to 45-50cm. Its later version is the M42 Pentacon Electric 50/1.8. I have one of each, and I won't tell you how much I over-spent on the Oreston (I was young and rich then), but US$5 is a GREAT deal!!

I never got the little switch on my Oreston to work. I glued down the pin so it functions as M-only. I left the pin alone on my Pentacon so I can use that on M42-auto bodies.

The 50/2.8 mentioned above would be the much maligned M42 Meyer Domiplan, but even the Domi has interesting rendering. I sold one and kept one. My other members of the Meyer-Pentacon 50 family are the M42 Meyer Primotar-E 50/3.5, extremely nice, and the Pentacon-bayonet-mount Prakticar 50/2.4, which I'm still trying to figure how to adapt to Pentax. Those 3 M42 Meyers turned me into a Meyer junkie. Moar! Moar!

11-15-2011, 04:04 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Definitely a lens with 'character'!!

and for 5 bucks can't go wrong!!!

It is a Cook Triplet, so you'll have very special pics with it, I believe for portraits will be quite interesting

http://www.praktica-users.com/lens/mlenses/mdom2.8_50.html
QuoteQuote:
Description - The new low-cost standard lens of Cooke triplet design, with normal coating. Two main versions exists, with bright fluting on both focussing and aperture rings, and a later one in all black finish. Several labelling versions also exist.
11-15-2011, 06:33 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
The 50/2.8 mentioned above would be the much maligned M42 Meyer Domiplan, but even the Domi has interesting rendering. I sold one and kept one. My other members of the Meyer-Pentacon 50 family are the M42 Meyer Primotar-E 50/3.5, extremely nice, and the Pentacon-bayonet-mount Prakticar 50/2.4, which I'm still trying to figure how to adapt to Pentax. Those 3 M42 Meyers turned me into a Meyer junkie. Moar! Moar!
The only Meyer lenses I've found over the years were apparently used for door stops or something. I've had no luck in finding a decent clean one. That 50/3.5 sounds interesting. I bet wide open shots have a nice soft transition from sharp to out-of-focus to them. I'd definitely give the lenses mentioned here a try.
11-15-2011, 10:44 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by B Grace Quote
The only Meyer lenses I've found over the years were apparently used for door stops or something. I've had no luck in finding a decent clean one. That 50/3.5 sounds interesting. I bet wide open shots have a nice soft transition from sharp to out-of-focus to them. I'd definitely give the lenses mentioned here a try.
Yes, the Primotar-E is good there. So are my other short Meyers: The Primagon 35/4.5 is a wonder, as is the tiny pancake Helioplan 40/4.5 (although focus on min is a bit sticky). My other superior Meyers, pretty reasonable when I bought them, are: Trioplan 100/2.8 and Telemegor 180/5.5. The Trioplan is just ass-stompingly great and is now expensive. I have another 'version' of it in 100/4.5, front and rear pieces meant to mount on a medium-format shutter, that I'll probably sell unless I can find the right tube. And the Telemegor only weighs 250g, my lightest longer lens (135mm+).
11-15-2011, 10:42 PM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
The Trioplan is just ass-stompingly great and is now expensive.
I'm not sure I have any lenses that are capable of stomping asses -- I'll have to find one of those. Even my best lenses are a bit on the wimpy side, with their buttery bokeh and all. I have a Helios with a slightly bad attitude, but I may just be projecting that because of the Russian accent...