Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-19-2011, 07:13 AM   #46
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Buy all of them! but from what I've learned. for daylight shooting overexpose or underexpose, use cheapest film you can buy (including expired film)and fog the lens with vaseline.

11-19-2011, 08:39 AM   #47
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The Super Program is my favorite film camera. Unfortunately it finally broke after many years of service. The back won't stay latched, I suppose it could be fixed but I haven't shot film in 3 or 4 years so haven't taken it in for repair.
11-19-2011, 09:13 AM   #48
Veteran Member

If I were to buy a Pentax 35mm SLR, my preferences would be:

1) LX
2) MX
3) K1000 or Spotmatic

I've owned these film SLRs in the past:

Pentax K1000 (3 of these, one was an "SE" model)
Canon AE-1 Program
Olympus OM-2s Program
Minolta X-370n
Minolta SRT-101
Minolta SR-1s
Praktica MTL-3
Nikon F2s
Nikomat FT-2

(I might be forgetting a couple.)

My top faves of the bunch:

1) Nikon F2s (An unkillable tank & the king of 35mm SLRs, IMO.)
2) Nikomat FT-2 (If a Nikon F2 & Pentax K1000 had a baby it would grow up to be this camera.)
3) Olympus OM2s Program (A fantastic body with the best meter I've encountered on any camera until the circuit board went belly-up and was unreplaceable. I wouldn't buy another just for this reason.)
4) Pentax K1000 (Great, dependable little workhorse that takes great pictures. The only thing I never cared for on this camera was that the meter has no switch. Batteries seemed to last ok, though.)
11-19-2011, 10:40 AM   #49
Pentaxian

The meter of the K1000 does have a switch, it is the lenscap. When it is on, it doesn't use any power (I know it is weird, but it works)

11-19-2011, 11:27 AM   #50
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Macario Quote
The meter of the K1000 does have a switch, it is the lenscap. When it is on, it doesn't use any power (I know it is weird, but it works)
This is true. I guess I should have said a hardware switch. - Bob :-)
11-22-2011, 08:17 AM - 1 Like   #51
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Timichango Quote
First shot in the series you linked (XA & Super Program back-to-back) cracked me up a bit—I just got a Super Program yesterday, and had staged that exact scene on my kitchen counter earlier today.
Indeed! The Super Program is small by SLR standards, but it dwarfs the XA.

Steve

BTW...I replaced the light seals in my XA a couple of days ago. Even with Jon Goodman's kit, it is an involved process that requires partial dis-assembly of the camera. Jon is such a good guy...he even includes a shutter release button in the kit knowing that you might as well replace it while you are in there.
11-23-2011, 02:34 AM   #52
Forum Member

While I was travelling in Thailand in 2004 I opened up an XA—using dubious tools and a low-res copy of the service manual that I had managed to locate and download over a crappy internet cafe connection—in order to attempt to fix a metering issue. I was joyous when I managed to get it back together in one piece, in the same condition as when I opened it up.

I was even happier when it was stolen a few weeks later, and I replaced it with a fully functioning copy (with metric focal distance markings to boot—my first one was marked in imperial) That was the first camera I had ever opened up, and hadn't anticipated the awesome miniaturization and complexity at all.

I've since been inside of a few other cameras (the Auto S3 in particular, as well as a Nikon FM2n and a few SMC-A lenses) for tinkering and repair purposes, and I've always been generally comfortable with pulling things apart, but I've definitely got a huge amount of respect for just how considered and compact everything is inside of an XA. Good on ya for pulling one apart and getting it back together without incident

And thanks for the heads-up on Jon Goodman's seal kits—I'll definitely be ordering a few for some of the cameras in my stable that could use a bit of love in that department.