Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-15-2011, 03:50 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
What film camera

I own a K20D and would like to upgrade to a K5 (or whatever comes next), the only automatic function that I really "need is aperture priority". Other functions are just gravy, including autofocus. So, I am quite happy with my K2 and my KX bodies. While they are over 30 years old, the only thing either has ever needed has been new light seals. All my older manual focus lenses have and "A" setting so they can be used to their best advantage on digital and film. I also like the larger size of the K2 and KX over the MX, ME, Super A, etc

So here is my kit:
K20D
DA 16-45
DA 50-200
FA 20-35 f/4 (cross-over auto-focus)
K2 body
KX body
SMC-A 50 1.4
SMC-A 35 2.8
SMC-A 24 2.8
SMC-A 105 2.8
Sigma MF 90 2.8 macro
M 50 f/4 Macro (my only non-"A" lens)

11-15-2011, 04:58 PM   #17

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bob from Aus Quote
I think the choice might be based on whether you are going colour or black and white. I would use my old spotmatic f if I wanted to do B&W film. If I were doing colour film I would use my MZ-5n in preference as I preferred it in almost every way for colour. In any case identify the film you want to use before you decide on the camera. if you can't decide as yet on film type get an old spotmatic as you can pickup some fabulous gear for it.
I'm actually planing to buy vintage camera because I want to try Lomography, and instead of buying plastic cameras I decided to look for old modeled cameras. I want to have retro/vintage looking photo shots. What do you think I should get from my list of choice? Thanks
11-15-2011, 04:59 PM   #18

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
A lot depends on what you want in terms of size, weight, and automation. I own the Super Program. It is a fine camera in a compact and flexible package. That being said, I prefer either of my two K-mount Ricohs or my KX for my style of photography. I prefer the aperture priority mode for shooting and the other cameras provide better support for that way of working.

Have you considered the KM? Consider it to be sort of a K-mount Spotmatic with open-aperture metering. It is usually priced somewhat below the less-well-equiped K1000.

Steve

BTW: Welcome to the forum!
I can't find KM in the store that I've seen that sells vintage camera, that's why its not in the list
11-15-2011, 05:18 PM   #19
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ennaihl24 Quote
I'll try to look for that super program. I think its hard to find.
Got one right here for 30 bucks: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/photographic-equipment-sale/160936-sale-s...r-program.html

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-15-2011, 06:01 PM   #20
Veteran Member

I'm actually planing to buy vintage camera because I want to try Lomography, and instead of buying plastic cameras I decided to look for old modeled cameras. I want to have retro/vintage looking photo shots. What do you think I should get from my list of choice? Thanks
I think someone else has already said the the camera body does not particularly affect the "look" of the images. That is correct. The important factors are lens and film choices.

Pentax lenses in general will not take you very close to the plastic camera/vintage look as the quality is much too high.

There is a vast assortment of crappy M42screwmount lenses available. They are generally very cheap and can be used on any of the variations of the Spotmatic. You can also use them on K mount bodies with an adapter.

In terms of your original list, the Spotmatic F will give you the full vintage mechanical camera experience, while the Program A will be more versatile and give you the option of using K-mount lenses.

If the "vintage" look you are seeking is what you see on the "film shots" thread in this forum, much of that is due to lousy commercial scanning. Most labs don't even charge extra for it!
11-15-2011, 06:22 PM   #21

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by John Poirier Quote
I think someone else has already said the the camera body does not particularly affect the "look" of the images. That is correct. The important factors are lens and film choices.

Pentax lenses in general will not take you very close to the plastic camera/vintage look as the quality is much too high.

There is a vast assortment of crappy M42screwmount lenses available. They are generally very cheap and can be used on any of the variations of the Spotmatic. You can also use them on K mount bodies with an adapter.

In terms of your original list, the Spotmatic F will give you the full vintage mechanical camera experience, while the Program A will be more versatile and give you the option of using K-mount lenses.

If the "vintage" look you are seeking is what you see on the "film shots" thread in this forum, much of that is due to lousy commercial scanning. Most labs don't even charge extra for it!
Thanks for this, its actually my first time to use film camera, and I don't really have any idea on everything. Thanks for the good points you have provided me.
11-15-2011, 07:20 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
If you want the LOMO experience with 35mm film, then: a) any "focus free" point and shoot b) zone focus or even range finder or autofocus from the earlier auto exposure era will do you well. At this point brands aren't as key... there was a vogue for 'dual' focal length 'panoramic' cameras - they are cool and can produce fun results. Prices range from 99cents to under $15. Chasing more expensive cult cameras won't get you anything 'better', only less money for film. Chinon, Sakar, Vivitar, Konica, Minolta, and probably a couple of dozen brands I'm forgetting are all cheap & cheerful.

That still leaves money for the Pentax SLR, I'm honor bound to note.

11-15-2011, 07:29 PM   #23
Veteran Member

The KM is a great camera...

-
11-15-2011, 08:41 PM   #24
Pentaxian

If you have the opportunity handle a couple different models and the one that feels the best in your hands might be the best for you. My first camera was Spotmatic F brand new followed by a SF1n and then MX5n which is the only one I still have but have also used MX.ME P3 I think it was and a Super Program. For fully manual the MX or K series would be great but are older. The MZ or Z series are newer and can autofocus when you wish is another option. And most Pentax film cameras are so cheap you could try a couple for a year and then decide. I don;'t have high needs as my film needs are met by medium and large format cameras.
11-15-2011, 09:04 PM   #25
Veteran Member

I am going to spoil the fun party with a Ricoh (Pentax mother company) film camera that share the Pentax K mount. When you get one, you will look for the infamous Ricoh P pin lens like I do. I know all of you are the Pentax die-hard fan and I have been one of them. However, I sold all of my Pentax film gear as in PZ-1, SuperProgram, MX, ME-Super and MV and a few others. But I settle for one film body with Ricoh xr-p. I like its shutter, metering, diagonal split focusing screen, and the optical veiwfinder with aperture/shutter and various display information. You have to see or use it to believe it. Build is better with Pentax solid metal body though.

Recent Flickr Set
with Ricoh xr-p and Vivitar 24mm f/2.8 P/K-AR

Cheers,
Hin

Last edited by hinman; 11-18-2011 at 11:19 AM.
11-15-2011, 09:12 PM   #26

QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
If you want the LOMO experience with 35mm film, then: a) any "focus free" point and shoot b) zone focus or even range finder or autofocus from the earlier auto exposure era will do you well. At this point brands aren't as key... there was a vogue for 'dual' focal length 'panoramic' cameras - they are cool and can produce fun results. Prices range from 99cents to under $15. Chasing more expensive cult cameras won't get you anything 'better', only less money for film. Chinon, Sakar, Vivitar, Konica, Minolta, and probably a couple of dozen brands I'm forgetting are all cheap & cheerful.
I agree with Nester, if you want to go for the LOMO experience, I think that you want something that would be light, easy to hold and shoot. As Nester said maybe you want check out some compact RFs (Compact 35 Rangefinders) - especially the Olympus XA, you can find them all over and everyone seems very happy with it. Alternatively you may want to get check out something like the Minolta Hi-Matic HF (or HF2). This was a beautiful little camera with automatic zone focus...plus it also took filters. If you want to shoot from the hip, I think that the early "automatic" cameras are a good place to go. They took nice pictures and they're easy to whip out and shoot.

The only thing...don't discount plastic it's nice too. The pictures may not be sharp, but they're soft.
11-16-2011, 12:51 AM   #27
Banned

if you want 'vintage colored' photos, then use out of date film, or find some film that is made for a certain look. Lomography sells films that are designed just for this purpose. Films - Lomography Shop I think everyone here is over thinking this really. if the OP wants a certain look then certain films are going to be the most important part. if you want lens effects as well, then you may as well just buy a LOMO or a Diana or a Holga. if you want a 'real camera' then I suggest a simple scale focus camera or you could get yourself a simple SLR like a spotmatic or K1000. the problem is, that you state that you want find the best pentax film SLR, but having the best will do nothing to help you achieve the look you are after. at least no more than any other camera, so there isn't much need for debating over all these pentax (and ricoh) cameras and their individual merits, etc. much less spending a lot of money to buy the best there is. there also isn't much need to get overly complicated with the more modern pentax film SLRs. simplicity is the key to getting to where you seem to want to be going. a simple camera like a spotmatic or a K1000 will be more than enough to help achieve the look you are after. you should also look for a cheap lens, possibly even something thats not multi-coated. or something less corrected for astigmatism, such as the common russian Helios lenses. or you could be even more simple and get one of those toy lens adapters, such as this one: http://shop.holgadirect.com/products/holga-canon-camera-slr-lens-hl-c which could be mounted on a Pentax digital or film SLR.

Last edited by séamuis; 11-16-2011 at 02:09 AM.
11-16-2011, 09:46 AM   #28

if you want the lomo look i recommend buying LOMO 35mm film and a camera with electronic contacts on the mount, this means a Pentax SuperA (in the US its called Super Progam) or a newer model. Then buy the DA18-55 kit lens for it. The lens is not very sharp on 35mm, you have vignetting like with a Holga, strong distortion, but its also very practical since you can zoom. Its also a very cheap combo!

Here is an example using my pentax super A, dal 18-55 and Kodak film ( i guess the retro feel will be stronger with LOMO film)

11-16-2011, 01:06 PM   #29
Site Supporter

The K2 is my favorite manual focus k-mount body. A compatible it would be the SuperProgram. The ES II or Spot F would be a good choice for m42 bodies. Otherwise I would go all the way back to an SV body. This is strictly based on my personal preferences sand experience. As far as autofocus goes, I would have to say MZ-3 because it is the tough to beat for the overall features without going with the MZ-S. I would also consider the PZ-1p although it is relatively large.

The one camera I left out is the LX. It may be the best of the bunch, but it is manual focus.
11-16-2011, 02:59 PM   #30

what I'm looking for is a camera that will give me an old school photo (like vintage or retro looking color images).
It’s only a guess, but you never shot film and only interested in film as a hobby. For that reason I suggest, finding a nice point & shoot like the Pentax IQ Zoom. Its an easy camera to learn and your first roll of pictures will look great. Unlike the SLR where there is a learning phase. If you are serious about 'old vintage retro looking pictures consider one of the multitudes of old school Kodak’s.