Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-07-2011, 02:26 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Try BW400CN too. In my vast experience (I've shot 1 roll of it ) I really really liked the results, more so than Tri-X (again, 1 whole roll!), and best of all it's super cheap to get processed.

I liked your photos, particularly the portraits. I think B&W film is awesome for portraits, made for it.

12-07-2011, 02:36 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
Try BW400CN too. In my vast experience (I've shot 1 roll of it ) I really really liked the results
That's all I shoot with now for film - only down side is it is quite expensive (here in the states anyways)...
12-07-2011, 02:42 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by joe.penn Quote
That's all I shoot with now for film - only down side is it is quite expensive (here in the states anyways)...
Film is way cheaper in the states than Australia, at my local camera shop its $12 (Tri-X) to $18 (Portra) a roll. Be thankful!! This is why I've just bought a bunch of film from B&H, way cheaper to do that and ship here than buy local. B&W develop + low res scan is $28 for Tri-X a roll, or B&W dev+low-res scan+print is $38 (+ $12 for the roll). So $50 a roll for B&W........insane

So the cheapest way, without developing myself, is import C-41 film from B&H, C41 dev only ($4) from a cheap lab, and scan myself.

Last edited by twitch; 12-07-2011 at 02:47 PM.
12-07-2011, 05:46 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by womble Quote
second the use of Kodak BW400CN. Excellent all round film that means I can use old cameras like my FED2 without worrying too much about dodgy shutter speeds etc. I only wish they still made it in 120 size.
they did make it in 120 size, they have discontinued that line due to lacking demand. I still have several 220 bricks of it in my freezer It is an excellent film to use in a pentax 67II because of the high shutter speeds you get as a result of using an ISO 400 film you won't have a problem hand holding it.

12-07-2011, 10:15 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by womble Quote
Personally, the lab I use returns perfectly good dust-spot free scans and I'd rather pay them £5 for those than spend an age with my film scanner for lots of images. I, therefore, get the lo-res ones done by the lab (perfectly good enough for posting on fora, Flickr and to the PPG) and only do the high-res scans myself when I have an image I want to submit for a competition or print large (although in the latter case I prefer to get someone to do me a old-fashioned silver gelatin print).
K.
Yep I do the same.

Phil.
12-08-2011, 04:16 PM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by crrumford Quote
Twitch- I'll be interested in hearing your opinion of the PlusTek.
I like it Software is difificult to navigate though, about as un-intuitive as any I've used

Here's my almost willing model, one scan is from the cheap lab (Target equivalent), the other scan is from the Plustek. You can make up your own mind, although at this size is hard to see there is a lot more detail in the plustek scan (as there should be, I did it at max resolution vs 2MP from lab) ....

EDIT: scrapped the examples as exposure & WB between the two are too differenet...

Last edited by twitch; 12-08-2011 at 04:58 PM.
12-08-2011, 04:18 PM   #22

Original Poster
Nice. Quite a difference there. I'll have to bump it up the list of photography equipment to purchase.