Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-20-2007, 05:44 AM   #1
Inactive Account

SuperA/Begginer Help

Hey guys,

I'm new to the forum and photography in general (except a rather vaige college course) so be gentle ^.^

Basically i want to start taking photography a bit more seriously and figured i need some new lenses and gear to really get me crackin'

I was wondering what you guys would recomend to a newbie photographer with a Pentax SuperA 35mm SLR in the way of lenses, techniques...anything! =D

Any help would be great =D

12-20-2007, 06:41 AM   #2
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I little hard to answer the question without knowing what you'd like to try and shoot. Also the budget you had in mind. There are a number of factors to consider here. This is a great old camera but some day you might switch to a digital if nothing else but for the much lower cost vs film and processing. So when choosing a lens do you want to just start off cheap and see how you do or buy the better lenses that will give auto focus if/when the digital conversion comes.

My first recommendation would be to get a 50mm f1.4 (or 1.7) or the 43mm limited. The 43mm would be the best choice in my opinion. A wonderful piece of glass and considered the true normal lens on a film camera. Added bonus is that it is AF for a future body upgrade. But the 50mm's even though they are manual focus (there is an AF version but the focus ring will drive you nuts on an MF camera) they are great lenses that can be had for around $100 here. And just learn either lens and the camera first. I think it is a mistake to buy 4+ lenses before knowing whether this is for you. If you want more right now I'd look for a SMC Pentax 70-210 zoom either the manual focus or auto focus versions. Again the AF version will be a little harder to work with as the focus ring is not as smooth as the MF designed version. Both are reasonably priced but only found on the used market (Ebay camera shops etc). Last lens I might suggest is a wide angle. A good 28mm f2.8 would do the trick here. Any of the Manual focus lenses will work on a digital just fine if you ever go that route. When selecting a lens, try to look for the ones that have the "A" setting (button) on the aperture ring. This allows the camera more auto exposure functions.

For a little light reading I would highly recommend go buy the books 1)Photography and the Art of Seeing (2004) By Freeman Patterson and 2) Understanding Exposure: Bryan Peterson (2004)

Both are excellent books and although they cover some similar ground, well worth the read. If you get these and read/practice with them and still love photography then it's time to look at other lenses.

For some instant information these 2 sites are excellent:
The Radiant Vista
The Luminous Landscape

You'll learn a lot here without spending any money. Also cruise through the forums older threads and you'll find lots here.

Welcome to both the forums and the world of Pentax!

Last edited by Peter Zack; 12-20-2007 at 06:52 AM.
12-20-2007, 07:00 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I am looking into getting a DSLR soon, but want to get my eye in before i do

I dont want to spend the world, so it will be second hand stuff i'll be getting off fleabay or something.

Thanks for the advice with the lenses, any particular makes i should be looking for?

I'll be doing portraits mainly and probably some action shots with skateboarding and things.

Also, how do i know if a lense will fit?
12-20-2007, 08:26 AM   #4
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Well for fast action you really need the fastest lenses tou can afford. So in a zoom that means about f2.8 and in a prime (fixed length) f1.4 or so. if you're unsure about the mount, then stick to Pentax brand lenses but there are many others with a Pk Pentax K mount. With your camera any K mount will fit fine that I'm aware of. You could look for a 135mm f2.8 for something longer and faster. The 50mm is still a good choice. For portrait work the 77mm Limited would be very nice and offers AF but decent manual focus.

There are lots of older lenses out there and if you come across something that looks good. You might want to post the description and then see what others recommend.
Also check the lens review database here. Pentax Lens Review Database - Main Index
and the marketplace here.
The Photographer's Marketplace - PentaxForums.com

Here's a few that could fit the bill to start:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/photographer-s-marketplace/16647-fs-pair-...m-f-1-7-a.html

and there might be some stuff here worth considering:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/photographer-s-marketplace/16357-closet-c...re-lenses.html

12-20-2007, 04:48 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
What lens do you already have - probably a 50mm A lens? That's a good one to learn with.

There are a lot of cheap zooms out there - make sure they are K - "A" mount so your super A can use its full automation. I've been happy with such, they aren't the best but aren't the worst either, I mean you can take good photos with one.

Primes - a 35 or 28 will open up wide angles for you. Again, the A lenses aren't that common but there are plenty to be had, especially if you go past the name Pentax...

The nice thing about the A lenses is that they are the most compatible with dSLRs, in that you can use full program and the other modes.