Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-07-2011, 04:27 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Some great suggestions above. For build quality you can't beat an LX, and it has a great viewfinder. But in your position I'd take the attitude that it's worthwhile buying 2 or 3 different things so you can decide your own favorite. Prices are very low on the Pentax film bodies (at least compared to the Leica you are dreaming of).

Don't laugh - I'd first pick up a dirt-cheap P30n or P30t. Better viewfinders than in most of the later (esp. autofocus) bodies, fairly rugged, nicely laid out and simple controls. They have a few limitations but are great shooters. Then get something older, and something newer. Of course the risk is that you might get hooked, and own a couple dozen different bodies before you realize you've been collecting. I speak from experience.

Be sure to look at the film camera review section on this site.

12-08-2011, 05:20 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Fully agreed with Sluggo.
A p30t is a great learning tool plus is fully compatible with new lenses that have electronic contats and allows for P/Av mode.
A super Program or Program plus is a close second

QuoteOriginally posted by Sluggo Quote
Don't laugh - I'd first pick up a dirt-cheap P30n or P30t. Better viewfinders than in most of the later (esp. autofocus) bodies, fairly rugged, nicely laid out and simple controls. They have a few limitations but are great shooters. Then get something older, and something newer. Of course the risk is that you might get hooked, and own a couple dozen different bodies before you realize you've been collecting. I speak from experience.

Be sure to look at the film camera review section on this site.
12-09-2011, 08:40 AM   #18
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
Hunt up a Bessa TM and some Takumars.
Yep...sometimes the best Pentax body is not a Pentax.

I could recommend a Ricoh XR-2/XR-2s or XR7 based on my personal experience with both cameras.

As for film rangefinder cams...Zeiss Ikon for the best value

Based on the wish list and keeping it in Pentaxland, I would have suggested the Super Program, except that while sturdy, my impression is that it is not particularly robust.

LX or MX?

Steve
12-10-2011, 05:39 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I too have used Leica M and Pentax SLR's since the late 60's.
You really need both an SLR of some kind (Pentax is great) and a Leica M. I will always have a Leica. I use Pentax because all the legacy lenses can be used on film or digital bodies.

For Pentax, I would go with an LX body and whatever Pentax-A lenses you may want. Personally I use a KX and a K2 body, but you do say you want smaller bodies.

I have used Leica M2, M3, M4-P, M6 and CL and CLE (Minolta). Don't get a CL or CLE or any other non-Leica rangefinder camera. Too many reasons to list here why not. You can't go wrong with any of the Leica M bodies, even an M3 or M2 over 50 years old. You can get a very nice clean M2 or M3 for around $600 if you take your time looking. Get a 35 Summicron first. The 1st version 35 Summicron with 8 elements is still one of the finest lenses ever made. Then get a 50 and a 90. Add a good hand-held light meter such as a Pentax Spot or a Gossen Luna Pro and you might not ever need anything else and never have to buy another camera again. Shoot film and scan the negatives for digital images and printing.

12-11-2011, 04:56 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jeverettfine Quote
..... and you might not ever need anything else and never have to buy another camera again.
HAAAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!
That's a good one!!
12-11-2011, 06:22 PM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jeverettfine Quote
Add a good hand-held light meter such as a Pentax Spot or a Gossen Luna Pro and you might not ever need anything else and never have to buy another camera again. Shoot film and scan the negatives for digital images and printing.
I agree: with a Leica M and a Pentax SLR you would never "need" another camera. At least until film becomes unavailable. I have also used M2, M3, M4, M5, M6, and M9 (digital) - and CL. I still own all but an M2. 90% of my shots use 35, 50 & 90 lenses on an M body. The rest are 21mm and 75mm. (OK, sometimes I'll do an entire trip with my CL and 40mm. I really like the CL - but it's not an "M") When I got the M9 I never bought any new Leica lenses - just used my 40+ yr-old Leica lenses. (Of course, after buying an M9 I couldn't afford any Leica lenses...) The 21 and 75 were "cheap" Voigtlander.
Nice thing about the M9 is that I can use it exactly like a film M; so switching either way is easy.

Of course "need" seldom affects camera purchases.

For SLR the LX was the last one I bought - until the K-5. I like the LX better, and usually prefer to use an MX.
BTW, Pentax-A lenses aren't needed on the LX. Pentax-M work just as well, and usually are better built.