Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-07-2011, 06:59 AM   #1

Pentax SV images partly black -- what exactly is going on?

Hi everyone,

I recently bought a Pentax SV and am very happy with it. I have noticed, though, that it seems to have trouble at its fastest shutter speeds: At 1/500 and 1/1000s, the image is partly black, e.g.:

I have shot a film since then and the problem only reappeared when I shot at 1/500, so I think I can live with it.
What I'd love to know, though, is what exactly is going on here; is the mirror too slow at getting out of the way, perhaps? And, more importantly, does this signal a greater problem or will the camera be fine at slower shutter speeds?

Thank you very much,
Best regards,
Martin

12-07-2011, 07:18 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Shutter capping. The front and rear curtains don't move in the coordinated fashion they ought to, so the gap disappears. On my cameras, this starts to happen in the cold or at high shutter speeds. CLA is the fix, though if you google you ought to find some instructions on cleaning and lubricating the bottom rollers yourself.

If this was a flash shot, the culprit would be a shutter speed faster than the max sync speed
12-07-2011, 08:28 AM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks for the quick answer! It was pretty cold that day, and there was no flash involved. Not confident I can carry out a manual repair and CLA seem to be a bit hard to come across in Germany.
I think I'll just stick to max. 1/250 and hope for the best!
12-07-2011, 09:50 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by noctilux Quote
Thanks for the quick answer! It was pretty cold that day, and there was no flash involved. Not confident I can carry out a manual repair and CLA seem to be a bit hard to come across in Germany.
I think I'll just stick to max. 1/250 and hope for the best!
If you are willing to ship to the US Eric at the Link below does good work inexpensively. lot's of people here use him

Home

12-07-2011, 09:58 AM   #5
Banned

^^ if you plan to use the camera enough to justify the cost, then I concur, because you will likely not find a more skilled technician to get that SV back to 100%, nor will you likely find anyone to do it as cheaply or efficiently. he is by and large the best there is. I understand shipping can be cost prohibitive, but for a camera that will see enough use, I think the reward of being able to fully utilize the camera and not have any fears of other issues cropping up later is worth the money spent.
12-07-2011, 11:22 AM   #6
Veteran Member

On the other hand, a mechanical shutter clean-lube is meat and potatos to a repair person. If you can find any repair shop near you they're likely to be able to do so.

Here's some advice I got:
http://forum.mflenses.com/the-10-sp-1000-t44492,start,15.html
12-07-2011, 12:10 PM   #7
Zav
Pentaxian

In you want to stay in Europe, Harrow Technical does a great job. But I don't think it is worth looking outside of your country to fix it.
12-07-2011, 02:13 PM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Zav Quote
In you want to stay in Europe, Harrow Technical does a great job. But I don't think it is worth looking outside of your country to fix it.
Since I am studying in the UK, this sounds ideal! The price is more than I paid for the SV at £76.50, but I think I'll invest.
Then again, for just 20 euros more or so I could get a Pentax KX with a 50/1.8, though there's no telling, I suppose, whether its shutter is any better. Also, I rather like the SV's utterly uncluttered viewfinder. I think I'll stick with the SV.

Last edited by noctilux; 12-07-2011 at 02:19 PM.
12-07-2011, 02:21 PM   #9
Banned

Also, I rather like the SV's utterly uncluttered viewfinder. I think I'll stick with the SV.
wise choice, and don't let anyone convince you otherwise.
12-07-2011, 02:31 PM   #10
Zav
Pentaxian

Since I am studying in the UK, this sounds ideal! The price is more than I paid for the SV at £76.50, but I think I'll invest.
Then again, for just 20 euros more or so I could get a Pentax KX with a 50/1.8, though there's no telling, I suppose, whether its shutter is any better. Also, I rather like the SV's utterly uncluttered viewfinder. I think I'll stick with the SV.
Oh and if you are a member of the forum pentaxuser.co.uk you have a discount at Harrow technical. To be honnest, I paid the same kind of cash to clean my MX but I'd rather have a camera which is checked and functioning properly than a fancier faulty one.
12-09-2011, 08:42 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
wise choice, and don't let anyone convince you otherwise.
I concur. The SV is one of the nicest cameras in use of any I have had my hands on.

Steve
12-09-2011, 08:52 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Good choice, Almost any old camera you buy will need a CLA to work properly most of them have been sitting around unused for ages and seals at minimum will need replacing
Definitely worth it on an SV, (or a Kx an MX an LX) not all of them are worth it IMO but many are.
12-09-2011, 04:11 PM   #13
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I concur. The SV is one of the nicest cameras in use of any I have had my hands on.

Steve
considering that Asahi Optical held pretty tightly to what they knew was a winning formula in terms of basic camera design, its easy really to say that a great number of their cameras are extremely nice. but there is something really great about the near perfect mix of 'classic' design and modern engineering of the SV in comparison to the earlier models and the distinct lack of at least to some degree 'unnecessary' implementations and somewhat more utilitarian design of the later spotmatic. and since the SV is I think by far the most mentioned pre-spotmatic camera here on the forums, that lends itself nicely to the idea of its sheer brilliance. the only camera I have resolved to never part with, and I think thats a justified choice.

Last edited by séamuis; 12-09-2011 at 04:26 PM.