Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-12-2011, 11:35 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Spotmatic and M42 lenses

Talked my my uncle recently, and he's giving me his old Spotmatic and a few M42 screw lenses. I believe it's an original Spotmatic, he bought it new in the 60's. I won't get it for a while as I live in Europe and he's in the states, but I'm looking forward to adding it to my Pentax collection and trying out those M42 lenses on my K-5. I don't know if the body still works, will be interesting. I do have a working ME Super and a few Pentax-M lenses that I've had for some time.

12-12-2011, 03:37 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Spotmatic bodies are very solid. Rarely the meter cells go bad, but generally a good CLA will respore them to new-like operation. You should see if he can send it to Eric for CLA on the way over!
I still prefer shooting with a Spotmatic to my K-5...
12-12-2011, 04:35 PM - 1 Like   #3

Congrats on the Spotmatic! M42 lenses can be really amazing. Even the early ones can have great optical properties, but the SMC Tak range also has excellent coatings - earlier versions can be subject to flare. Still, that is very controllable with a decent hood and some care in framing.

If your Spotmatic is an early version and is not functional, you might want to get an F model in decent shape, the model is quite superior to early Spotmatics, and it is cheap to find. Avoid ES models which can have metering issues.