Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-14-2011, 08:25 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax LX meter won't shut off?

I just got a new-to-me Pentax LX. It's in nice clean shape, but was sold "as is".

The biggest problem I can see is that the light meter doesn't shut off. So long as the batteries are in, the meter is on and working.

Any suggestions?

12-14-2011, 08:45 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Lens Cap

I would suspect that fixing it would require a trip to a service tech like Eric Hendrickson, at least for me. But I wonder if just ensuring that you keep a lens cap in place when you aren't using the camera won't be a useful work around. If there is no light to meter then the meter should not be using any battery current. I know it sounds a bit low-tech but this is how I keep the meter from draining my battery in my K1000 so it may work on the LX.
12-14-2011, 09:10 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Well, that definitely works for my Spotmatic F too! :-)

But on the LX, there isn't a match-needle. The meter lights up an LED, and it doesn't go away even with a lens cap on.

I'd like to send the camera to Eric, but would be happy if I can solve this issue myself. Seems like there must be a switch somewhere that has gotten sticky....
12-14-2011, 09:52 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Have you tried a hammer? ;-)

12-14-2011, 10:26 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by filmamigo Quote
...on the LX, there isn't a match-needle. The meter lights up an LED, and it doesn't go away even with a lens cap on.
Locking the shutter doesn't work? My son has my LX right now so I can't test it but I seem to recall that rotating the collar around the shutter to the left locked the shutter and shuts the metering off as well.
12-15-2011, 12:38 AM   #6
Veteran Member

In my LX's, the light meter is switched off automatically. I don't recall how long it takes but it definitely shuts down after a while.
A lens cap would not help because the LED's are still working (even in the dark).
The problem lies somewhere around the release button, there the contact is made to switch on the light meter and when that one is a little off, it will continue to close that contact and have the light meter working permanently.
In the more recent made body's (third version), there is a second switch in the unlock button of the prism finder release, so the problem might be in there too.
I think it is a matter of carefully adjusting, but, the LX is a sealed body and it takes the tools, knowledge and the right sealing product to open and close (and seal) the body.
I had that problem once (first version body), it drains the batteries very fast, and having it repairing was certainly not for free, but a good LX is always worth it...

Have your LX CLA'd by a good craftsmen, and you will be happy ever after!

PS. Bossa, be careful not to hurt that pore hammer...
12-15-2011, 09:04 AM   #7
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for the tips.

I will excercise that finder-release button a little bit, but if it doesn't clear up it will have to go to Eric.

I shouldn't complain, the camera is in very nice condition, and the as-is price was $50.
12-15-2011, 10:12 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Thanks for the tips.

I will excercise that finder-release button a little bit, but if it doesn't clear up it will have to go to Eric.

I shouldn't complain, the camera is in very nice condition, and the as-is price was $50.
$50???? That's for free!
The LX dedicated waist level view finder itself is at least twice that price, if not more!

12-15-2011, 05:09 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter

If the light meter is the only problem you got a steal. You can send it to Eric, pay him to fix it, and still be way ahead cost-wise. If you decide you don't like it you will have no problem getting your investment back.

Enjoy the Holidays and enjoy your new camera.