Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-14-2011, 08:36 PM   #1
Site Supporter

drank the Pentax kool-aid ... may be doomed.

so, for some strange reason, I have purchased a K20d re-furb. Being a Nikon guy, this may be interesting. Already getting an urge to buy Limited lenses. May also need some advice on how to get the best out of this thing.

12-14-2011, 08:39 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Lots of stuff on sale right now in the Marketplace with some pretty appealing prices (if i were in a position to happen to need one of the Limiteds...)!
12-14-2011, 09:49 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Original Poster
it joins my pile older Pentax film cameras. Not a lot of glass though. I remember when the 43/1.9 first came out and one of the British photo mags stated it had overtaken the Contax 50/1.4 as king of the standard hill .. have lusted since then.
12-14-2011, 10:45 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Hey Harvey, if you make it to the Queen city ever, drop me a PM before you come. We can hook up for donuts and coffee and you can get a look at the full LTD set (I have them all).

12-14-2011, 10:55 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I'm in the S.E. interior of BC, if your ever heading through Revelstoke and want to try out that 43 Ltd just drop me a line.
12-15-2011, 06:09 AM   #6
Site Supporter

Original Poster
actually, it all started with a couple of cheap PZ-1s (I actually bought one when it first came out, loved the 24/f2 but hated the batteries) and purchasing M42 black bodies.
a few M42 lenses, nothing fancy. a couple of cheap Ks (the things I have had and sold like the 2 LXs', drives, wicked Pentax glass way back when - coupled with my desire for the 250-600 but always went back to the dark side). And all this in the past year. My home is now a suppository of gear that may never see the light of day.
Anyway, just got back from a 6 week trip where my primary cameras were a D700/D3x combo. Man, I am getting old. That stuff is getting heavy if you have to actually carry it. No wonder I haven't been on a plane in 20 years and drive a 1/2 ton truck. So, time for smaller and while things like the D7000 are small, the K5 is even smaller. I have to start somewhere. I like the concept of built-in IS, but not being able to see it bugs me. Anyway, I may be posted this on the wrong forum and to keep it right, thinking about heading down to my new second home(except its in a motel) around Yellowstone after Christmas and trying out the new/old K2/K2DMD bodies but I have to find a 645/K-mount adapter because that's where my big glass is. Beer is cheap, food can be good, need some more Bequet caramels, the Yellowstone animals can't run away. Also one of the reason's to get the original Limited line, although way back when I remember the reviewers of the day saying that the 31 was the weak link in the chain, is to put them on my film bodies ( did I mention the 2 PZ1s' which cost $5 each?) I think the seller had evil in their eyes.
12-15-2011, 10:54 PM   #7
Veteran Member

The 31 being the weak link in the Trio?? WOW.. shots I've seen from it would lead me to believe that having the full trio should make all the other glass in your collection melt with envy.
12-15-2011, 10:58 PM   #8
Site Supporter

Original Poster
my glass collection would scare a lot of people ...

12-16-2011, 10:16 AM   #9
Pentaxian

I remember processing your stuff when I worked at Kroma Kolor. I recall that you had a lot of glass back then. I can only imagine now...
12-16-2011, 09:45 PM   #10
Site Supporter

Original Poster
its a good thing I'm single with no kids. Just paid for the 43/1.9 and there's a box with a 20-35/f4 sitting in Estevan ... I wouldn't mind having my old LX set-up from 15 -odd years ago. Had a pair of PZ-1s' with the 80-200/2.8 and the 300/2.8 with converters as well. But the dark side has its tendrils into me big-time. I need to downsize again but I'm getting too lazy to do so. So what if my satellite TV is down to just the Weather Channel - what else do you really need? And my dog passed away this summer so there are several bags of surplus dog food and with enough beer, anything is edible ...
12-25-2011, 04:33 AM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by hsteeves Quote
. Also one of the reason's to get the original Limited line, although way back when I remember the reviewers of the day saying that the 31 was the weak link in the chain, is to put them on my film bodies ( did I mention the 2 PZ1s' which cost $5 each?) I think the seller had evil in their eyes.
No way is it a weak link, the FA31 is simply stunning, its the best lens I own and I own some nice ones.