Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-20-2011, 10:18 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Choosing a flash for Pentax ME Super

Hi all.
Need help choosing a flash for Pentax ME Super. I want to choose is not very expensive, a optimal genuine flash. What will advise?
Thanks.

12-20-2011, 10:56 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kindakaa Quote
Hi all.
Need help choosing a flash for Pentax ME Super. I want to choose is not very expensive, a optimal genuine flash. What will advise?
Thanks.
You can use any Pentax non-ttl flash, like the AF16 or AF160. For a higher guide number you can try the Autorobo or AF260SA.

Phil.
12-21-2011, 02:56 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Vivitar 550 fd MPO version...communicates with the camera, and offers TTL for the Super Program. Quite modern, exposes well, recharges fast, has two auto settings, and is nice and compact. Usually so cheap its free+postage.
12-24-2011, 05:42 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My MESuper was packed as a kit in 1984 with an AF200s (and an M50/1.4)

11-18-2014, 05:13 AM   #5

I also need helping finding a flash for my ME super, and I'm currently looking at the Pentax AF130P Flash Unit. Does anyone know if this is compatible?
11-18-2014, 07:08 AM   #6
Veteran Member

You want one that is dedicated for Pentax so you can use TTL.
SunPak Auto 422D works well - make sure it has the Pentax foot STD-1A
11-18-2014, 08:29 AM - 1 Like   #7

The ME Super does not support TTL flash, or the earlier Program flash. So stay away from anything with "SA" on the end of the name and anything which can't be switched out of TTL mode.

Personally I'd go for an AF200T or AF280T. Both have two auto flash modes and variable manual power output (AF200T has four manual power levels, AF280T has two), they'll also trigger the camera to switch to its flash sync speed and illuminate the little icon in the viewfinder when the flash is charged. Just don't try to use their TTL mode as it won't work!

The original flash would have been the AF160 or the AF200S, the former is a bit underpowered but the latter is a very acceptable piece of kit given how cheaply you can find them. I'd still stick with the AF200T due to the greater manual control though.

11-18-2014, 09:21 AM - 1 Like   #8
Veteran Member

I've successfully used the AF160SA in manual mode on my ME Super, they're very cheap and compatible with later program flash cameras too (also, low voltage so they won't fry your circuits if you use them with something newer - I've also used mine on my MZ-50 and Q10).

A question for the knowledgeable: if the ME Super doesn't support TTL flash, what is the extra contact on the hot shoe for? If it's something really obvious please forgive my ignorance.

Last edited by edmundrt; 11-18-2014 at 09:28 AM.
11-18-2014, 09:25 AM - 1 Like   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by edmundrt Quote
I've successfully used the AF160SA in manual mode on my ME Super, they're very cheap and compatible with later program flash cameras too (also, low voltage so they won't fry your circuits if you use them with something newer - I've also used mine on my MZ-50 and Q10).

A question for the knowledgeable: if the ME Super doesn't support TTL flash, what is the extra contact on the hot shoe for? If it's something really obvious please forgive my ignorance.
The extra contact is used by a compatible flash to tell the ME Super flash is ready and sets the ME Super to sync speed - 1/125.
11-18-2014, 09:27 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LesDMess Quote
The extra contact is used by a compatible flash to tell the ME Super flash is ready and sets the ME Super to sync speed - 1/125.
Thanks! I knew someone would be able to tell me.
11-18-2014, 10:25 AM   #11

I think everything since the AF160 has had a safe trigger voltage for the DSLRs. I know the only Pentax flash I've tested (and I put a multimeter over all of them before using them) which had too high a voltage was a "Super-Lite II" from the early '70s. Check it yourself before you risk it though, just in case the flash you've bought is some rogue model with a faulty circuit.
11-18-2014, 03:06 PM   #12
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by edmundrt Quote
Thanks! I knew someone would be able to tell me.
The most utility with your camera is with flashes having an on-board sensor (aka auto-thyristor). For the Pentax line that information is hard to ferret out since it is not obvious from the model name. The descriptions and feature matrices on the Dimitrov site are helpful in that regard. The key term on the tables there is "Auto Flash Settings (ISO 100/m)" which lists the apertures compatible with the sensor.

Pentax Flashes and Flash Accessories

As noted above, a dedicated flash for your camera will do two things and two things only, show flash ready in the viewfinder and automatically set the camera to the X sync mode. Now, if you are not willing to fiddle with vintage flashes, the good news is that there are a number of safe units available new on the current market that have features such as bounce and variable power, have the auto-thyristor function and are inexpensive to boot.

Steve

---------- Post added 11-18-14 at 02:13 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Dangermouse Quote
Personally I'd go for an AF200T or AF280T
Agreed. I have an AF280T that I use with my Super Program and with the K-3. The amazing thing is how much automation is supported by the K-3. I like the combo better than P-TTL.

Steve