Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-23-2011, 12:09 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Thanks everyone! You guys are really making it hard for me now .

I'm actually kind of interested in that Fugi Fujita 605N and now the MX and ME Super.

Id really like a nice compact camera with metering and so far these 3 fit the bill.

12-23-2011, 12:10 PM   #17
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Swift1 Quote
Over the past year of using nearly 30 different cameras, I've come to agree with you. The SV is near perfection. Superb build, simple but gorgeous design, perfect size, and oh so smooth.
you mate, have excellent taste and clearly knows exactly what he's talking about. black or chrome? because I have a black now and I swear its the greatest thing you could ever hold in your hands. I miss my chrome (she's in good hands) but that black body.

^^ have to disagree. the Spotmatic just isn't on the same level as the SV. it has magic, and either you recognize that or you don't.
12-23-2011, 12:11 PM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Well if it is meterless you want then I have to recommend the original.

Who's your daddy . . .

Link to larger version -> http://www.fototime.com/6B741E87E8A950D/orig.jpg
12-23-2011, 12:13 PM   #19
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Colorado CJ Quote
Thanks everyone! You guys are really making it hard for me now .

I'm actually kind of interested in that Fugi Fujita 605N and now the MX and ME Super.

Id really like a nice compact camera with metering and so far these 3 fit the bill.
if you are considering between the MX and the MESuper, my best recommendation would be to handle both of them if you can. because while the MESuper has advantage with Av style AE, a lot of people just don't like the shutter speed 'buttons' and the mode dial, vs the standard dial on the MX. this can be a bigger issue than you might think in practice, thats why I bring it up. you can't really go wrong with either one though. I haven't ever used the Fujica, so I can't really comment.

QuoteOriginally posted by LesDMess Quote
Well if it is meterless you want then I have to recommend the original.

Who's your daddy . . .

Link to larger version -> http://www.fototime.com/6B741E87E8A950D/orig.jpg
ill recommend both. get both, you won't regret it.

we should stop, this surely isn't helping.

12-23-2011, 12:21 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I forgot I had a size comparison also...

12-23-2011, 12:36 PM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
you mate, have excellent taste and clearly knows exactly what he's talking about. black or chrome? because I have a black now and I swear its the greatest thing you could ever hold in your hands. I miss my chrome (she's in good hands) but that black body.

^^ have to disagree. the Spotmatic just isn't on the same level as the SV. it has magic, and either you recognize that or you don't.
I've had my eye out for a black one for awhile now but I haven't found one for a price I was happy with.
TBH, I actually prefer chrome than black. I do like black ( I have black SPII, KX, K2, and MX) but I love the look and feel of chrome. Plus the chrome finish definitely holds up better with age.

I agree with you about the Spotmatic. I have a gorgeous black, just CLA'd SPII, which is a relly nice camera, but the SV is in another league.
I actually don't own the SV in the photo I posted, as it really needed a new shutter and I didn't want to put the money into it. My current SV is even cleaner and works flawlessly and the shutter is so smooth, it is heard but not felt.
12-23-2011, 12:42 PM   #22
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Swift1 Quote
I've had my eye out for a black one for awhile now but I haven't found one for a price I was happy with.
you won't ever find one with a happy price, trust me. don't even ask what I paid for mine. what I like about the black though is that when it ages, it brasses up beautifully, but because its painted and not chromed, you can always have it stripped and repainted to look like new. you can't really do that with a chrome body without risking damage, so once that satin chrome does get worn and scratched and scuffed, its kind of stuck that way.

12-23-2011, 12:52 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Fugi Fujita 605N
I did a bit of research in the meanwhile on the Fujis - and the 605 / 605N is the sweet spot. The earlier ones use mercury batteries, and the fancier ones have the Fuji Bump on the lens - these make it so the lenses don't mount on e.g. M42 adapters, and cause complications when using the camera (e.g. ST 705) to meter non Fuji lenses: you have to push the stop down button AND then half depress the shutter button. With the 605 you don't need to do that.

I'm on my second one - I gave a beautiful one to one of my daughter's friends, and immediately wanted another. The first was a 605 and the second is a 605n, in very beat up condition - the bottom plate is barely on, the rewind release doesn't exist (I use a pen to push in the insides to release the film) and someone spent hours chipping off the focus ring on the Fuji 2.2 lens... but it works, damnit, and works well. I paid all of $3 for it:

This was the pretty one:

I do have a complaint in that with glasses it can be difficult to see the meter needle, especially in the dark. It is way over to the side.

Last edited by Nesster; 12-23-2011 at 12:59 PM.
12-23-2011, 01:03 PM   #24
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
we should stop, this surely isn't helping.
Nice!

QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
I forgot I had a size comparison also...
I don't have a Fujica yet so thanks for the heads up.

BTW, looking through the collection, I just remembered that the Mamiya 500 DTL is also M42 mount and it has spot metering!

12-23-2011, 01:48 PM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The Mamiya is a big, solid camera, and the lenses are also good. I was amazed in my tests that the 55 f1.4 outdid the S-T 50 1.4 when wide open. A couple of cautions: the older design meter switch contact (operated by pushing the wind lever inward) tends to fatigue and break at the battery holder, and the meter linkage uses a fine chain that is quite fragile. The viewfinders tend to be full of dust as the plastic optics are static prone. Otherwise a nice unit.
12-23-2011, 02:17 PM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
Don't do it - its a trap!

My old Spotmatic II that I acquired in 1970 is wonderful. It is bare bones, but the viewfinder is large, bright and the split screen for focusing is addictive. It is also surprisingly small and compact. Your "new" dslr will feel bloated in comparison.

I think that any of the suggestions would perform very well. Its just a matter of finding the particular brand/model that you decide upon.

+1 for SP11.....I've got a nice black one.
Also have a look at the ES11.....I have a nice one of them too.
But at the end of the day....it's your choice.
Cheers, Pickles.
12-23-2011, 02:19 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Well, I just bought a Fujica 605N For $11.90. Seems to be in good shape and seller stated everything works.

I'm going to be keeping my eye out for one of those Petax SV's though.

And I though LBA was bad
12-23-2011, 02:27 PM   #28
Banned

Well, I just bought a Fujica 605N For $11.90. Seems to be in good shape and seller stated everything works.

I'm going to be keeping my eye out for one of those Petax SV's though.

And I though LBA was bad
you won't know the true meaning of CBA until your hands touch an SV. you will understand all, when the time comes. you have been forewarned.
12-23-2011, 02:32 PM   #29
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

M42 mount and it has spot metering!
But heavy and large...Oh, so heavy and large! (I have the 1000 DTL)

Steve
12-23-2011, 02:42 PM   #30

Les: I had never thought of this before, but does the Judas window on the MX enable the aperture numbers on most Super Taks or SMC Taks to show in the viewfinder, or do only the numbers on K-mount lenses land in the right place to be "seen"? I have as yet no camera with a Judas window, but would like to get one as I find the idea of an aperture readout in the VF quite useful, and the little window elegantly accomplishes it with no pesky mechanical (or worse, electronic) linkages.

Colorado CJ: I researched all the Fuji models at one point and had drawn up a comparison spreadsheet. (Then I bought none of them! Go figure... ) A finding of key importance to me was that the 605N and 705W display the shutter speed in the VF. (As do the 801 and 901, if you are into electronic models.) The 605 non-N and 705 non-W, plus all other 6xx and 7xx screw-mount Fujis, do not show the shutter speed. I believe the 705W has the added "benefit" that you can bodge a heavy motor winder thingie onto it.

--Dave

How about smallest aperture priority configuration then . . .

Along with being smallest, the MX does have the largest VF too!