Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-23-2011, 07:48 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Which Screwmount?

I'm starting to stack up the Takumars, so I'd like to try my hand with a film SLR. I really never used a film SLR before, but I always shoot purely manual with my DSLR anyway (f stop, exposure, focus. etc..) so I think I wouldn't have any real problems.

I've been looking at the Spotmatics, and there are many. I'd really like to have a compact SLR and have even considered the Sears KS-2, but it isn't a screwmount.

So what is the best compact fully manual screwmount out there? I'd like to have a light meter, so I'm considering one of the spotmatic lines, but there are many to choose from. Right now I'm kind of leaning towards the Spotmatic F

Thanks for the help!

12-23-2011, 08:06 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

The spotmatic f is good at open-aperture metering, so I'd go with that as well.
12-23-2011, 08:10 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Just as a reference for size. You can use the K/M series with adapter in stop down mode.

Link to larger version -> http://www.fototime.com/4C05C144E840B0F/orig.jpg
12-23-2011, 08:57 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LesDMess Quote
Just as a reference for size. You can use the K/M series with adapter in stop down mode.

Link to larger version -> http://www.fototime.com/4C05C144E840B0F/orig.jpg
Very cool comparison, thanks for the link!

12-23-2011, 08:59 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Personally, I like the greater compatibility I get with the regular stop-down Spotmatics, so I've not (yet) gone for a F.

For a compact M42 mount camera, a Fuji 605 / 605n is hard to beat - extremely cheap, takes batteries that are still available, and the stop down is a button under your right hand fingers - you squeeze it in to stop down and meter. I think there are other Fujis of similar dimensions, but I tend to get lost in the various numbers... I think the ones ending with 5 are later than the ones ending in 1.
12-23-2011, 09:32 AM   #6
Pentaxian

It is very convenient to use the Taks on an aperture priority camera. Just focus, stop down and fire. Easily my favorite setup and probably the smallest fisheye setup.

12-23-2011, 09:33 AM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
For a compact M42 mount camera, a Fuji 605 / 605n is hard to beat
...or, if you can find one...the Voigtlander Bessaflex TM. Modern camera with a legacy mount.

Steve

12-23-2011, 10:43 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Don't do it - its a trap!

My old Spotmatic II that I acquired in 1970 is wonderful. It is bare bones, but the viewfinder is large, bright and the split screen for focusing is addictive. It is also surprisingly small and compact. Your "new" dslr will feel bloated in comparison.

I think that any of the suggestions would perform very well. Its just a matter of finding the particular brand/model that you decide upon.

12-23-2011, 10:45 AM   #9
Banned

It is very convenient to use the Taks on an aperture priority camera. Just focus, stop down and fire. Easily my favorite setup and probably the smallest fisheye setup.
while I would almost universally recommend a proper screwmount body such as a spotmatic (the desire for a light meter kills my recommendation for the greatest pentax ever made) LesDMess, makes a good point here. if you will be using this camera soley with screwmount lenses, you can buy a pentax kmount adapter, lock it into place and forget about it. this gives you the convenience of not only a light meter, but Av style AE, a more compact body, a bigger brighter viewfinder, improved metering and other benefits over an older screwmount body. an MESuper like shown above or maybe a SuperProgram, would make excellent choices for a dedicated screwmount body.

(although he's wrong on the last part as that would be an MX with the even smaller 18mm fish-eye-takumar )
12-23-2011, 11:09 AM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
(although he's wrong on the last part as that would be an MX with the even smaller 18mm fish-eye-takumar )
How about smallest aperture priority configuration then . . .

Along with being smallest, the MX does have the largest VF too!

12-23-2011, 11:17 AM   #11
Banned

oh you're good! did you just take that photo? smallest Av configuration indeed. I will succeed to you though, because that old 18mm is pretty bad compared to the 17/4. and the larger viewfinder of the MX doesn't matter much with the 18mm anyway since it has no focus ring. not a whole lot gained by going the smallest.

your kit makes me regret selling my ME F (exactly why I hate this place sometimes). I bet thats a real joy to use!
12-23-2011, 11:27 AM   #12
Veteran Member

I wouldn't really call the MX aperture priority. Looks like a sweet combo though.

The SP-F is a great camera, hard to go wrong with one. I liked the build quality and fit and finish on mine better than my SPII. The open aperture metering is very handy, though I wish it had a proper meter switch.
Here's my vote for the "Best" M42 Pentax
Once you get used to no built in meter, the SV is a pure joy to use.
12-23-2011, 11:33 AM   #13
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Swift1 Quote
I wouldn't really call the MX aperture priority. Looks like a sweet combo though.

The SP-F is a great camera, hard to go wrong with one. I liked the build quality and fit and finish on mine better than my SPII. The open aperture metering is very handy, though I wish it had a proper meter switch.
Here's my vote for the "Best" M42 Pentax
Once you get used to no built in meter, the SV is a pure joy to use.
he was referring to the MESuper.

see now thats not fair! he said he wanted a camera with a built in meter, ao I didn't recommend the SV, and now you come in here and slip in a huge recommendation for the SV, right underneath me.

you should totally chose the SV. greatest camera Pentax ever designed.
12-23-2011, 11:49 AM   #14
Veteran Member

he was referring to the MESuper.
Ah, I see it now. Sorry for my misunderstanding.

see now thats not fair! he said he wanted a camera with a built in meter, ao I didn't recommend the SV, and now you come in here and slip in a huge recommendation for the SV, right underneath me.

you should totally chose the SV. greatest camera Pentax ever designed.
I did recommend the SP-F as well.
Over the past year of using nearly 30 different cameras, I've come to agree with you. The SV is near perfection. Superb build, simple but gorgeous design, perfect size, and oh so smooth.
12-23-2011, 11:54 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
While I love the SV, I'd recommend the Spotmatic or Spotmatic II. Still simple and rugged, but the meter is convenient, and they made so many you can find nice ones at good prices. They are just slightly taller body (to the deck) than the SV, and feel great to handle. I've recently built a couple from a collection of "parts" bodies, and have really enjoyed testing them out.