Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-25-2007, 11:55 AM   #1

MZ-M

I came across a package deal MZ-M, FA 35-80mm & Pentax FAj75-300mm. Going to pick it up tomorrow or Thurs. Any ideas on the body. Any good. I am getting it mainly for the glass.

12-25-2007, 12:35 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nothing wrong with the body at all. It is a model with no autoexposure modes. M for manual.
12-25-2007, 02:45 PM   #3
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
Nothing wrong with the body at all. It is a model with no autoexposure modes. M for manual.
No, it has program, aperture priority and shutter priority exposure modes. M is for manual focus, not manual exposure.

It is an inexpensive body intended for the "entry level" user. It has a plastic lens mount as I recall, but a very low price when new. Further info here:

MZ-M / ZX-M

The lenses mentioned by the O.P. are also entry level quality in both construction and image quality. Nothing to get excited about, but they should be servicable fo non-demanding applications.
12-25-2007, 04:15 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by GaryML Quote
No, it has program, aperture priority and shutter priority exposure modes. M is for manual focus, not manual exposure.
Oops! Thanks for the correction.

12-26-2007, 11:22 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Great little camera. I use it all the time and haven't had a single issue with it. The plastic lens mount has NEVER failed me, although it does give the (misguided) perception of poor quality. Best of all, it has a non-crippled K-mount, unlike most of its MZ- brethren, so it is fully compatible with ALL K-mount lenses.
12-27-2007, 08:31 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Mz-m/zx-m

From a collectability standpoint, the MZ-M/ZX-M may have some value, at least in the future. It was one of the last film cameras that Pentax made.

When they ceased film camera production a year or so ago, they had three models in production, the MZ-M/ZX-M, the MZ-60/ZX-60 (autofocus) and the *ist film version.

For that reason, I'm keeping my eyes open on eBay for a good deal on one to add to my small collection of Pentax SLR's.

BTW, I assume that you are aware that you can download a user manual for that and just about any Pentax camera from their website: Pentax Imaging - Home

Paul Noble
12-27-2007, 02:17 PM   #7
Pentaxian

I love my MZ-M.

The body is small, light and comfortable. The controls are the same as the MZ-5, which is to say "retro" in a good way. A big knob for setting shutter speeds quickly, plus a handy exposure compensation knob. Lens compatibility is great. I often put my FAJ 18-35 on it for a true wide-angle.

The best part of the camera (to me) is the focussing screen. Having a real split-focus screen is a treat on a new, modern camera.

If you want to keep the camera small and stealthy (it's the size of a point-and-shoot) then use the lithium batteries. But if you want to improve the ergonomics and save the expense of 2 x $15 lithium batteries, then get yourself the battery grip.

Henry's has a used battery grip for $15, and you just have to add cheap AA batteries. It makes the camera feel very solid and comforable, especially with heavier lenses. With specialized batteries getting rarer and more expensive, I think the battery grip is a wise investment.

12-27-2007, 09:36 PM   #8

Original Poster
Went and picked up the MZ-M kit. Found it on the List. I was mainly interested in the 75-300.

12-28-2007, 07:34 AM   #9

It will be good to you.

Great basic camera that had everything I needed prior to recently moving into digital photography. The best of my shots have so far been taken on this model, which has travelled around Europe, New Zealand and Australia with no problems.

The only disadvantage with the MZ-M is the fact that it isn't digital and, quite frankly, I think Pentax would do well to release a digital version of the MZ-M, allowing for a basic manual DSLR without all the extra bells and whistles. I'm happy with the K10D, but if a "D-MZM" had been available, that's what I would have bought.
12-28-2007, 08:52 AM   #10
Pentaxian

I second that idea.

No current DSLR offers a photography student or artist the minimalist photographic controls the way the MZ-M does.

Perhaps Pentax could make a digital MZ-M by sacrificing the big LCD on the back, and go with just the new as-yet-unseen "in the viewfinder" review capability?
12-28-2007, 01:11 PM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by filmamigo Quote
I love my MZ-M.

Henry's has a used battery grip for $15, and you just have to add cheap AA batteries. It makes the camera feel very solid and comforable, especially with heavier lenses. With specialized batteries getting rarer and more expensive, I think the battery grip is a wise investment.
Witch Henrys ? The outlet ? I want it.
12-28-2007, 01:39 PM   #12

QuoteOriginally posted by filmamigo Quote
I second that idea.

No current DSLR offers a photography student or artist the minimalist photographic controls the way the MZ-M does.

Perhaps Pentax could make a digital MZ-M by sacrificing the big LCD on the back, and go with just the new as-yet-unseen "in the viewfinder" review capability?
Hi filmamigo,

Actually, if we're imagining peeling back the features of the K10D to make a basic manual camera, I think I'd like to see the LCD screen stay, but eliminate the various auto settings, bringing it back to a simple choice between aperture/shutter-priority and full manual (no full-auto). Or even take away the aperture/shutter priority, and just keep it fully manual with the auto-bracketing function that the MZ-M already has (Nothing wrong with taking a few quick shots to get that perfect exposure, and then deleting the ones you don't need).

Personally, I could also do without auto-focus (I hardly ever use it on the K10D when doing creative shots) and the inbuilt flash.

Although I think a minimum of 10.2 megapixels should stay.

Perhaps we could open up a new thread with the goal to come up with the ideal D-MZM concept, based on what most people want from a basic SLR? Maybe Pentax will pick up the idea and run with it!
12-28-2007, 08:28 PM   #13
Pentaxian

I like it -- you go first with the thread!