Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-23-2006, 02:41 AM   #1

HELP! shooting film for a wedding

Tomorrow, I have my cousins wedding.

In addition to my K100D i will be bringing my MZ-50, mainly to use with the 18-35mm for wide angle group shots. Question is, what film should I load it with thats best for the occasion?

- ISO: 400 or 800 or higher?

- White balance : what is best for interior of a church, will it be lit by tungsten? (I'm not religous so i have hardly been inside a church all my life)

- Color or B&W? B&W will give a classic look, plus it will be independent of the color balance....

What are some product recommendations?

12-23-2006, 03:48 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Wedding shots are all about being quick on the spot at the right moment.

In my film days, I often missed good shots because good films take time to saturate the colour while people at the wedding do not really freeze their expression for you.

For C41, I would go for Fuji Reala 100 (good with flash) or Fuji Superior 400 (without flash). I love Konica impressa 50 or 100 but hard to find nowadays. There is this Fuji 400 Mirage which has a rich colour like slide film provia but only available in Japan.

For E6, go for Fuji Sensia III or Provia III - gentler on the skin and more neutral look. Hard to go wrong with them

For B&W, I try to avoid it unless you are hard core about that since the choices are a bit limited these days. T-max 400 or Ilford alpha-400 are great in terms of contrast. Fuji neopan 400 has nice milky details. If you can get Ilford alpha 400, I would use that.

If you have not done much wedding with films, stick to C-41 first. Use commercial films like fuji superior 400, hard to go wrong. You would be surprised about its colour can be richer than digital shots

Good luck
12-23-2006, 05:52 AM   #3

Original Poster
thx for the tips. I think the Fuji 400 is probably the way to go then, esp since its relatively easy to get from retail shops and i could always use Photoshop to turn anything into B&W as a last resort
03-25-2010, 05:31 PM   #4
Forum Member

White balance

I nearly always set a custom white balance for inside digital work. It only takes a few seconds, and I shoot in JPEG so I don't want to be fooling with too much post processing due to the losses involved.
If I use film for some reason, it is usually the cheap $2 Fuji 400 print film from Wal-Mart. The prints look great. For church shots without flash, I use my Pentax MX and 50MM 1.4 lens with Kodak Portra 800.