Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-11-2012, 12:52 AM - 1 Like   #1

First roll of film - Newbie Question

So it's time to dive into the world of film. I bought a K1000SE and a roll of Kodak Ektar 100. My question to you folks is, how do I know that my camera is properly set to shoot with this film? Any necessary adjustments I should make? ISO? ASA? Please help.

Thank you all in advance.

01-11-2012, 01:33 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
ISO = ASA, which in this case, is 100, so set it as such. Other than that, make sure you remember to wind the film to cock the shutter
happy shooting!
01-11-2012, 01:53 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
If you decide to use the film in a digital camera remember to set the ISO at 150 to allow for the crop factor.
01-11-2012, 02:15 AM   #4

Lol, very amusing :-)

01-11-2012, 02:23 AM   #5

Good luck with your first roll. Fortunately your camera was set up for film, so you should be ok. In terms of practical advice using film - expose for the shadows do you get maximum detail. With digital you expose for the highlights. But at any rate, as your using color film you'll have lots of latitude (up to 4 stops under or over exposed I've read) with your photos. So just enjoy using film and a fine camera would be my advice. Patty some shots!
01-11-2012, 02:54 AM   #6

Original Poster
Thank you all for the advice. I'll be sure to post some pictures.

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash:
If you decide to use the film in a digital camera remember to set the ISO at 150 to allow for the crop factor.
I'm not that much of a newbie, but thanks for trying.
01-11-2012, 06:53 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Here is a link to the K1000 manual. The password is: Pentax

http://www.pentax-manuals.com/manuals/mf/pentax_k1000_manual_s.pdf

Good luck with your first roll and post the results!

Phil.

01-20-2012, 11:35 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by J. Stanz Quote
... how do I know that my camera is properly set to shoot with this film? Any necessary adjustments I should make? ISO? ASA? Please help.
Just set your ISO dial to whatever the number on the box says, as others mentioned, & my tip is to make sure the film rewind lever on the left is rotating when you cock the shutter. Since I always try to squeeze an extra frame or 2 out of a roll on my K1000, sometimes I don't stick the end of the film far enough into the sprocket wheel & it doesn't engage! Sometimes it takes a few frames for the lever to start turning if the film was loose in the can (sometimes I turn the winder on the can back a bit to take up slack), but if it's not going around by the time you've advanced 3 or 4 times you might want to check that the film was properly started.
Sorry if that's a dumb obvious thing... it's just that I've done it now & then & usually when I was in a hurry to get some great shot...!