Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-11-2012, 06:13 PM   #16

Zeiss-Ikon Super Ikonta C. Or similar 6x6 and 6x4.5 models. Or, similar rangefinderless (or Mess Ikonta uncoupled rangefinder) models if you need to save cash. What you'll find with many folders, though, is that they lack strap lugs for a neck strap. How important is it to you that you carry the thing neckwise? To do that with a lugless camera you'd have to go to either some solution with screwing a strap into the tripod mount, or using an ever-ready case. As you'll read all over the Internet: DO NOT, repeat DO NOT, rely on the original neck strap of an ever-ready case that is 40 to 70 years old! First have it very seriously inspected for soundness by a saddlery, or just replace the strap proactively.
--Dave

01-12-2012, 09:58 PM   #17
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Argenticien Quote
DO NOT, repeat DO NOT, rely on the original neck strap of an ever-ready case that is 40 to 70 years old! First have it very seriously inspected for soundness by a saddlery, or just replace the strap proactively.
...almost lost my Kiev 4A to a rotten strap...never again!

Steve
01-13-2012, 05:50 AM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
Like other SLRs the Bronica ETRS will likely not fulfill your requirements numbers 1 and 2.

Chris
I disagree with that Chris.I have an ETRSI and with a good strap it's easily carryable for the day. Mind you I tend to go with a bag and all the lenses and 3 backs spare film..... not as easy.
A Tripod is useful with any camera if you're shooting landscapes etc. but the Bronnie can be hand held with comfort (it was after all a very popular wedding camera when it was current.)
But I will say I would get more use out of the fuji or bronica RF models (and this thread actually has me looking at Fuji 690 there are som VG ones from japan on Ebay right now. I may even sell of the etrsi for one.
01-13-2012, 06:09 AM   #19
Banned

get a long, wide heavy duty strap and wear it across like you wear a satchel. this is what I do with my 6x7, and it will allow you to take the weight much better. it won't slow you down any in use because well, its a media format camera. I agree with eddie here, in all reality any medium format camera can be used without a tripod. I use my 6x7 without one, all of my favourite 6x7 photographers use one without a tripod. people use hasselblads without a tripod. if you have a steady hand, I don't see why you couldn't utilize a bronica without a tripod.

there is an older gentlemen here in Savannah that I see quite often during parades and other social events in the downtown area that uses two hasselblads without tripods, and he has to be in his mid to late 70's. I'm pretty sure you can handle a bronica if he can handle his hassey's even at that age.

01-13-2012, 07:15 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Unfortunately this drool-worthy item is too dear:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/photographic-equipment-sale/168969-sale-p...kina-67-a.html

However, it does remind me of another avenue: a press rangefinder. The Koni-Omegas are cheap and the lenses are excellent. Although, the totablilty may be in Pentax 67 territory...
http://photoethnography.com/ClassicCameras/KoniOmegaRapidM.html
http://www.flickr.com/groups/65927769@N00/
http://www.mir.com.my/michaeliu/michaeliu/medformat/konireview.html

Last edited by Nesster; 01-13-2012 at 07:20 AM.
01-13-2012, 12:51 PM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
Unfortunately this drool-worthy item is too dear:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/photographic-equipment-sale/168969-sale-p...kina-67-a.html

However, it does remind me of another avenue: a press rangefinder. The Koni-Omegas are cheap and the lenses are excellent. Although, the totablilty may be in Pentax 67 territory...
Koni Omega Rapid M - Photoethnography.com's Classic Camera DB
Flickr: Koni Omega Rangefinders
http://www.mir.com.my/michaeliu/michaeliu/medformat/konireview.html
Saw that here and on RFF I am still drooling Sweet camera.
01-15-2012, 07:22 PM   #22

QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
I agree with eddie here, in all reality any medium format camera can be used without a tripod. I use my 6x7 without one, all of my favourite 6x7 photographers use one without a tripod. people use hasselblads without a tripod. if you have a steady hand, I don't see why you couldn't utilize a bronica without a tripod.
+1. I occasionally carry my Bronica S2, even with the 50/3.5 lens, and shoot it handheld. It is -- how shall we say -- non-small apparatus. Admittedly, that does eventually get wearying to carry on a neck strap, but that's because I have a narrow (~1 cm wide) strap, so that's a mild form of strangling. That camera has those idiosyncratic post mounts, and the 1 cm-wide strap is the only one I have with the right clip-ends, and they're riveted on permanently.
--Dave
01-15-2012, 08:00 PM   #23
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I do use my RB67 with the strap, and find that its not an issue so long as lighting is not an issue.
IMO, weight and size of it isn't as much as its made out to be.; it carries well in a backback and isn't that heavy with RB67; 180/4.5 or 90/3.5
My K5, 3 lenses and spare batteries probably weighs near the same weight.
The advantage of the RB67 bellows focusing is that it allows much closer focus with a need for the lens to be a 'macro' lens.

But as said, avaliable lighting is the issue with using it handheld.
Ektar or Porta 160 and stopping down to f5.6, f8 or higher just makes it hard to get decent hand holdable shutter speeds ( I aim for 1/125 min).

For my use, TLRs while smaller and lighter, usually have long minimum focus distances, which makes them less useful for smaller subjects.

My few cents.

01-24-2012, 10:06 AM   #24

Original Poster
Hi everyone,
I'd like to ask for your help again -- I've been pretty unlucky in my quest to buy an ETRS, you see!
Here's what happened: First, I managed to snag an ETRS quite cheaply off ebay. The lens broke at the seller's last-minute check.
Next, I found essentially the same deal at an online shop. But by the time I'd transferred the money to my English account to pay for it, it had been bought by someone else!
I'm a little impatient now (I'd like to start shooting!), but there's only one offer I can see at the moment, and I'm not sure about it:
It's the Mamiya 645E with a speed grip and 80mm lens for £300. The 645E is Mamiya's budget model, so it's plasticky, but I actually think the diopter correction might be very useful, and I suppose Mamiya's lenses are good.
Have any of you seen one of these Mamiyas?

Thanks in advance,
Martin
01-24-2012, 03:04 PM   #25

Original Poster
It's OK -- I managed to find another Bronica! :-)
01-25-2012, 12:05 PM   #26
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by noctilux Quote
Hi everyone,

It's the Mamiya 645E with a speed grip and 80mm lens for £300. The 645E is Mamiya's budget model, so it's plasticky, but I actually think the diopter correction might be very useful, and I suppose Mamiya's lenses are good.
Have any of you seen one of these Mamiyas?

Thanks in advance,
Martin
They're OK if they work, they tend to be fragile/failure-prone for the money, but I use Mamiya. (Actually, the older style Mamiya 645s ...the ones without interchangeable backs, are quite small and light, at least if you have the smaller unmetered finders on there, (With the waist level, it's really not heavy at all. Though it's a pain to shoot verticals that way. )

The Bronicas are of similar utility, tend to run a bit heavier, a lot of the differences are down to preference.

(Also, Vendee, with your Yashicamat, do you have the pressure plate set for the film you're using, (120 vs 220? )

As straps go, by the way, Op/Tech makes clips for Bronica/Hassie and Mamiya/whoever type posts (I forget which combination is which at the moment, but they make both types... and you can use those with what they make for straps, I like to use the 'boomerangs' as I call them. ('Pro Strap' I think they're just called. ) that'll make one of these cameras about as comfy as you like, (the weight may vary ) depending how much stuff you put on there.
01-25-2012, 01:59 PM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
(Also, Vendee, with your Yashicamat, do you have the pressure plate set for the film you're using, (120 vs 220? )
Its a Yashica 24 and the pressure plate itself isn't adjustable but I do have 4 slivers of paper stuck on to reduce the presure for 120 film and compensate for the backing paper.

QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote

As straps go, by the way, Op/Tech makes clips for Bronica/Hassie and Mamiya/whoever type posts (I forget which combination is which at the moment, but they make both types... and you can use those with what they make for straps, I like to use the 'boomerangs' as I call them. ('Pro Strap' I think they're just called. ) that'll make one of these cameras about as comfy as you like, (the weight may vary ) depending how much stuff you put on there.
I've got a couple of Op-tech pro straps for my heavyish EOS 7D and EOS 3. They are really comfortable.
01-25-2012, 02:52 PM   #28

Another vote for the Yashica Mat124 TLR. Not too heavy, sharp 80mm lens, 12 or 24 exposures.

Best regards,

/Clay