Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-15-2012, 01:07 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
Film Recommendations

I'm very new to film SLR's, just bought a K1000 and was wondering if there was a type of film that you could recommend? Do most 35mm films work okay in this camera?
Thankyou in advance for your help

01-15-2012, 02:25 AM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

the only recommandation is about the iso/asa of the film. Just choose something that will be give you enought speed in every situation.

Personnaly i use 400 iso film for everyday shoot (when i want to shoot during some party in a bar or in a street or whatever.). And 100 iso film when shooting during day only (because i'm visiting some place for example.).

that's the only big thing that seems important to me.

Enjoy film it's a real drug
01-15-2012, 02:28 AM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter

Load' em Up!

Hi Tom, Welcome to the Pentax Forum!
As far as I know, any 35mm film made will work in the K1000. I seem to remember that the ASA/ISO dial only goes to 1600, so you wouldn't want any film faster than that- if they're even available anymore.
But Fujifilm, Kodak and Ilford were on my camera store's shelf last time I bought some. Kodak has cut back production quite a bit and has also filed for bankrupcy, but a couple of weeks ago I bought both TMax and Plus X.
Since I only shoot B + W film, I'll leave the color film/slide suggestions to those more qualified.
I like Ilford Delta 100 + 400, Kodak Plus-X for portraits and old, reliable Tri-X if you can find it. Lately all I can get is TMax 400, which isn't my favorite, but works for some subjects. The rendering seems a bit cold and metallic for my taste.
Good luck, you may find that your local film developer will scan the negatives onto a CD for you (at an additional cost) which make PP much faster and easier.
Ron
01-15-2012, 03:36 AM   #4

Original Poster
Thanks heaps for the help guys, i'm really new to this. I'm in Australia and none of the local camera shops have Kodak film, like Ron said they are cutting back production. I think I'm going to go with Fujifilm, this will be my first roll so i'm keen to see how things turn out.

01-15-2012, 05:42 AM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to film!
Keep in mind the different types of processing. Regular color negative film requires C41 processing which is the most common. At least in my area, slide film like E6 and true black and white are no longer processed and require to be mailed elsewhere for processing.
There are black and white films that use regular C41 process like Kodak BW400CN. That means you can take it to your regular processing center.

Thanks,
01-15-2012, 06:38 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rbefly Quote
As far as I know, any 35mm film made will work in the K1000. I seem to remember that the ASA/ISO dial only goes to 1600,
It actually goes to 3200 on the K1000 which is nice

Its the ME Super that only goes to 1600
01-15-2012, 07:19 AM   #7
Pentaxian

As a first film to try I would also recommend C41 as they generally have so much latitude that they can easily coverup poor metering skills and/or inaccurate meter - but make sure to err on the overexposure side. Below are a few examples that I have qualified.
Fuji 100 link to larger version -> http://www.fototime.com/5662A1CA253B2E0/original.jpg

Kodak BW400CN link to larger version -> http://www.fototime.com/0A2BFD8BCB1F695/orig.jpg

Kodak Portra 400 link to larger version -> http://www.fototime.com/B1379B2FE749C83/orig.jpg

The obvious use of course is that when shooting a high contrast scene, you can retain more shadow and/or highlight areas.

Full res version -> http://www.fototime.com/DCE615918D77901/orig.jpg

Full res version -> http://www.fototime.com/EEDE7E79B0493CF/orig.jpg

Another is when you need to use slower shutter speeds but you don't have an ND filter for your lens. In the example below, I wanted to smooth out the water some and needed 1/4 or 1/2 shutter speeds but the meter recommended 1/60 for proper exposure. However, knowing I can overexpose by that much and still have usable results allowed me to make these shots.

Link to larger version -> http://www.fototime.com/8A2F51510B5BD85/orig.jpg

Link to larger version -> http://www.fototime.com/C42790A3B5084DD/orig.jpg

Good luck, have fun and post some results when you get around to it!
01-15-2012, 09:24 AM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
In addition to the advice above, I can offer a few general bullet points:
  • With higher ISO comes more prominent grain
  • Color rendition varies between films
  • Minilab scans generally feature poor quality, spurring a strong desire to own your own scanner
  • Traditional B&W film photography can be very rewarding, spurring a need to learn home processing
Have fun!

Steve

01-15-2012, 03:56 PM - 1 Like   #9
Veteran Member

I pretty much use Ilford XP2-400 B&W film exclusively... Negs can be developed on a normal colour set-up which makes it very easy to get developed in-store...I really should learn to develop my own negs but the store scans them to DVD too as part of the price...
01-16-2012, 09:49 AM   #10

Any 35 mm film will work in you camera.

I enjoy shooting landscapes and rarely shoot people/indoors with my SLR.

For outdoor/landscapes, I love the high color saturation of Fuji Velvia 50 or 100, a slide film that I have to mail out for developing.

For color negative film, I usually grab whatever is available, usually Fujicolor 200.

Different films will have different characteristics--speed, colol quality, grain, etc. Pick up a basic photography book at the library. It will cover all of these topics and more.

Eric
Pentax SF1 and SF10
01-16-2012, 12:04 PM   #11
mer

For color I use velvia 50 / velvia 100 / provia 400 or E100VS , contrasty and high saturation films

Negative film I rarely use but when I do its probably some fuji reala . I dont really like ektar 100 its acts like a wannabe slide film

for b/w I use tri-x and sometimes neopan . I love tri-x pushed to 1600 , i just love the curves developed with microphen and the grain is lovely.

But that's just me and many people find what I like a bit excessive or over the top.

If I hadn't use film cameras before or If I wasnt very familiar with light meters I would choose a negative with high dynamic range ( well almost all of them have high dynamic range ) and I would expose for the shadows or a bw film . Slide films need accurate metering
01-17-2012, 03:29 AM   #12

Original Poster
Thanks for all the replies, i have a heap to learn haha. It sounds like everyone has their own preferences but i'll just test everything out and see what i like.
My first roll is being developed now so if i have done everything correctly i will post the results up for sure.
My B&W film is Ilford XP2-400 but i don't know if the fujifilm i bought was that good but i'll have to wait and see.
I tried to keep the light meter slightly more to the overexposure side so hopefully things went ok, i'm not expecting much as it is my first roll.
01-17-2012, 03:53 AM - 1 Like   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Tom.Hawthorne Quote
It sounds like everyone has their own preferences
Yes ! it's like women : try a lot to found out what you like most
01-17-2012, 03:59 AM   #14

Original Poster
hahaha very true!
01-17-2012, 08:52 AM   #15
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mer Quote
For color I use velvia 50 / velvia 100 / provia 400 or E100VS , contrasty and high saturation films

Negative film I rarely use but when I do its probably some fuji reala . I dont really like ektar 100 its acts like a wannabe slide film

for b/w I use tri-x and sometimes neopan . I love tri-x pushed to 1600 , i just love the curves developed with microphen and the grain is lovely.

But that's just me and many people find what I like a bit excessive or over the top.

If I hadn't use film cameras before or If I wasnt very familiar with light meters I would choose a negative with high dynamic range ( well almost all of them have high dynamic range ) and I would expose for the shadows or a bw film . Slide films need accurate metering
I’m with you on your film choices, I also mostly shoot slide film. Kodak E100G is also very good and the closest to Kodachrome. I also shoot b&w slide film and the only real choice is Fomapan R100.

Phil.