Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-27-2012, 06:40 AM   #106

Photos: Albums
Very nice Jennifer! I think the last shot is my favorite as well!

Planning to get out this weekend to shoot a roll or two if the weather cooperates!

Cheers!

Griz

09-27-2012, 08:22 AM   #107

QuoteOriginally posted by SteveM Quote
I think I spelt it incorrectly....should be Doukhobors. They are descendants from a group that immigrated here from Russia (Georgia?) . They lived on collective farms and have a distinctive culture. From Wikipedia.....
Interesting, learn something new every day I'm not aware of any around here. These pictures were taken within 1/2 of my house; I just picked a direction and drove until something caught my eye.
09-27-2012, 08:43 AM   #108

QuoteOriginally posted by Griz57 Quote
Very nice Jennifer! I think the last shot is my favorite as well!

Planning to get out this weekend to shoot a roll or two if the weather cooperates!

Cheers!

Griz
Thanks Griz! Have fun with it
10-01-2012, 07:25 AM   #109

MX loading peculiarity

Well, the experience with the MX has been interesting so far, to say the least!

After Jennifer warned me about her loading issues, I was very careful with the loading process myself. It initially took three attempts to get the film to wind smoothly through the first few frames, and I thought everything was going fine. I am familiar with the "magic needles", as my primary camera is an ME Super.

So, I took the MX into the field last night, to try to capture some Harvest Moon photos. We arrived prior to moonrise, so I figured I'd do some test shooting beforehand. All went well through the first 10 frames, then the "fun" started. Winding became uneven, and did not appear to be advancing an entire frame through the stroke. End of the evenings experiment!

Today, I sacrificed an expired roll of Kodak Gold, and followed the winding process through the entire roll with the back open. First I tried it pushing the leader through the needles on the RIGHT side of the take up reel, as I do with my ME Super. Ten frames in, the leader left go of the spool completely. Then, I tried again, pushing the leader through the LEFT side of the take up reel. This "seems" to have fixed the problem. Apparently, this camera ONLY wants to be loaded from the left side of the spool!

I'm going to give it one more attempt, with a roll of HP5+, and hope for the best! If it fails on my next trip afield, I'm afraid I'll have to forward the camera on to the next shooter, as I can't afford to lose any more film.

Griz

10-01-2012, 10:26 AM   #110
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I'd like to step forward and offer to pitch in $20 to have the travelling MX sent to the doctor for a checkup (CLA). We might have to wait a little while until Eric is ready to start taking items again, but it's a great little camera and Eddie was very generous in offering the camera up for loan. Just a thought....
10-02-2012, 06:22 AM   #111

QuoteOriginally posted by SteveM Quote
I'd like to step forward and offer to pitch in $20 to have the travelling MX sent to the doctor for a checkup (CLA). We might have to wait a little while until Eric is ready to start taking items again, but it's a great little camera and Eddie was very generous in offering the camera up for loan. Just a thought....
That's an excellent thought Steve, and I agree that the MX is probably due for a good CLA. Being unemployed, I'm unable to kick in at the moment, but would be more than willing to set things up with Eric when he's ready, and forward the camera to him if there is enough interest.

Griz
10-02-2012, 01:55 PM   #112

Sounds good, I will kick in what I can.
10-07-2012, 10:14 PM   #113
Site Supporter

I'm in as well, I think it also needs new seals as I had a few light leak issues.

Phil.

10-08-2012, 06:32 AM   #114

I'm going to give it one more try this coming Saturday!

Here:
PA

And here:
PA

Both are within 30 minutes drive of my home and should have some good possibilities.

Cheers!

Griz
10-08-2012, 08:35 AM   #115

QuoteOriginally posted by Griz57 Quote
All went well through the first 10 frames, then the "fun" started
I had a similar problem, that's why I didn't post any pic's from my roll. I own a Super Program and an ME Super, they also have the same "Magic Needle" take up spool, while I find it a little "fiddley", the MX was certainly much worse. I attempted to load a roll of Efke IR820 in my changing bag, I've done this a hundred times with my Super Program, but it was impossible with the MX. So I loaded it outside the changing bag and advanced it about a dozen frames to get past any IR exposed frames. After shooting the roll I developed it, when I pulled it out of the developing tank, I was supprised to find almost the entire roll unexposed except for a 3 inch section in the middle of the roll that had about 6 frames worth of exposures crammed into it. After seeing it, I draped the film over a piece of equipment in my garage and walked away. As an afterthought, it might be a fun exercise to clean it up and scan it. I'll post them if I do.
10-08-2012, 08:47 AM   #116

QuoteOriginally posted by average-guy Quote
I had a similar problem, that's why I didn't post any pic's from my roll. I own a Super Program and an ME Super, they also have the same "Magic Needle" take up spool, while I find it a little "fiddley", the MX was certainly much worse. I attempted to load a roll of Efke IR820 in my changing bag, I've done this a hundred times with my Super Program, but it was impossible with the MX. So I loaded it outside the changing bag and advanced it about a dozen frames to get past any IR exposed frames. After shooting the roll I developed it, when I pulled it out of the developing tank, I was supprised to find almost the entire roll unexposed except for a 3 inch section in the middle of the roll that had about 6 frames worth of exposures crammed into it. After seeing it, I draped the film over a piece of equipment in my garage and walked away. As an afterthought, it might be a fun exercise to clean it up and scan it. I'll post them if I do.
Definitely time for a good CLA on the MX! I'm going to give it one more shot this weekend, but I'm taking backup bodies along just in case, so that the whole day isn't ruined if the MX fails again.

Your problems with the MX sound exactly like what I experienced. I didn't bother to get the roll developed, as it was Kodak Gold, and I don't do C41 at home. Couldn't afford to waste the $$ for processing when I have a pretty good idea of what the results will be. I have my fingers crossed that the HP5 will transport correctly this weekend...time will tell!

Griz
10-08-2012, 09:32 AM   #117
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I shot 3 rolls and it was only the first roll that I had problems with, losing the roll. Eddie...if you could PM me with your paypal addr....I'll send something to help get it fixed.
10-09-2012, 06:18 PM   #118
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Cool shots, Jennifer!

Sorry about the issues, guys. I initially had trouble with the magic needles too, but just thought that was how it was designed (the KX take-up slot is bullet proof by comparison). After a couple of slipped rolls, I ended up jamming the film lead all the way in and then out the opposite side. I'd advance a couple of empty frames, then rewind lightly to tension the film and test for slippage.

Also, thanks to all for the kind offers. However I currently don't have the funds to cover the rest of the CLA, and certainly would not feel right about anyone contributing more than lunch money. So hopefully without hurting anyone's feelings, I'd like to decline the generous offers. If there are no more folks after Griz, feel free to send it back to me. If I get the MX fixed up in the future I'll be sure to put it up for another tour.
10-09-2012, 07:28 PM   #119
Lens Buying Addict

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Jeez Eddie, we'd only need 6 people to do $10 and ship it to Eric. We did that for the Sightseeing Screwmount. That's less than a roll of film and Costco prints.

I'm in.
10-10-2012, 07:08 AM   #120

You were generous enough to lend out your MX to perfect strangers (some of us anyway), I'm in for $20. I know it's humbling to be in a financial pickle, let alone have to admit it to the world (I've been there). I'm happy to pitch in, using your MX helped me decide which all-mechanical k-mount SLR to purchase next (when the time is right), that alone has saved me from wasting money and time on an unnecessary purchase.