Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-19-2012, 11:16 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
PZ-70 date back battery

I just picked up a nice PZ-70 for the lens (F 35-70 3.5-4.5) and thought I'd try out the body. I'm picking up a 2CR5 tomorrow, have loads of film in the fridge, and have one more mystery battery slot: the date back. Right above the Panorama/Full Frame selection slider is a coin battery tray that slides out of the date back. Doesn't have any markings as to what battery it takes, can't find anything about this back online (tried butkus, dimitrov, etc)... Anyone have any idea what battery this takes?

Love the lens on my k2000, by the way... autofocus is fast, the macro mode is nice, and the zoom range is great for portraits.

01-20-2012, 05:46 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Not sure if this helps, but my Data Back Fg (which I use with a MZ-7) takes a CR 2025 or equivalent. Here's a link to the manual for yours, assuming it's the Fe? If so, it also takes the CR 2025.

http://c758710.r10.cf2.rackcdn.com/files/support/manual/191_1314744936-686858181_manual.pdf

Last edited by JohnX; 01-20-2012 at 07:00 AM.
01-20-2012, 10:29 AM   #3

Original Poster
JohnX, thanks! Looks like exactly what I needed. I'll post again to verify once I've got a cr2025.
01-20-2012, 11:36 PM   #4

Original Poster
Bummer; that was the correct battery and I was also able to find a 2CR5, but after the first shot the mirror stuck in the up position. I was able to coaxe it down and then cycled it a few times (helping the mirror down each time) but it has given up completely. Stuck up. I read about plastic motor gears on some pentax models and think this gear has lost its ability to wind/reset the shutter. If anyone wants the camera body (or just the date back) please let me know. I'll just stick to my reliable old ME Super when I shoot film.

And the 35-70 on my dslr shot some fantastic family portraits at the Cliffhouse today... This was definitely a good buy even though the camera body turned out to be a dud.

01-20-2012, 11:57 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rsBayArea Quote
Bummer; that was the correct battery and I was also able to find a 2CR5, but after the first shot the mirror stuck in the up position. I was able to coaxe it down and then cycled it a few times (helping the mirror down each time) but it has given up completely. Stuck up. I read about plastic motor gears on some pentax models and think this gear has lost its ability to wind/reset the shutter. If anyone wants the camera body (or just the date back) please let me know. I'll just stick to my reliable old ME Super when I shoot film.

And the 35-70 on my dslr shot some fantastic family portraits at the Cliffhouse today... This was definitely a good buy even though the camera body turned out to be a dud.
Oh, well, that lens, if it's the F, at least, is supposed to be quite nice for a zoom, image-quality wise: the field-of-view range isn't so popular on a DSLR, but you can be happy there. I'm pretty sure the PZ-70 isn't something a lot of people want, but it may share parts with more-wanted models of the series, or possibly be quick-fixable for someone who knows what they're doing, (I'd offer to try, but can't right now. ) I don't know about the databack, (Those had an annoying tendency to be not-useful for most cameras, ...some nice ones would print data on the negative margins rather than the image itself, which is more useful to most: I don't know about the pz series, honestly. ) I presume that you hadn't had a working camera before powering up that databack? (Can't see how that could make it go wrong anyway... )

Anyway, maybe someone'll want the parts.

(Also, if anyone's just dying for an MZ/ZX-series databack, and can't find one, I do have one that I presume would function, that's on my MZ-5. It's not bothering anything, but if someone had a desire for one, a trade wouldn't put me out. They seem pretty common, though. )