Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-22-2012, 12:09 AM   #1

Spotmatic F - SMC Takumar 55/1.8

Just found a black Spotmatic F with the 55mm. Both in almost unused condition, the camera seems to work well. The auto/manual button on the lens does not move - is there something I am missing? Now it shows the word auto and it just won't move. I also have the super-Takumar 55/2 with the metal focusing ring, also a 'open-aperture metering version' and the button on that one moves fine when on this camera.

More importantly: what a beautiful designed camera!

01-22-2012, 12:36 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Button moves off auto when on camera - there is a very small second button that is depressed by the body when the lens is mounted.

Can be found and manipulated by finger nail when off body.
01-22-2012, 01:15 AM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks, I had forgotten this little pin. So yes, now I can 'unlock' this switch on the lens when it is off camera.

However, the switch still won't move when the lens is on the camera, or let's say it moves once from the manual to the auto position and is then fixed. Same with my other lenses. Now I tend to believe one should not even want to switch back and forth with this switch when the lens is mounted?

Or, could something wrong with the camera's mount make that the small pin is not pushed in enough?

Probably this situation has been explained before, I will search for it . . .
01-22-2012, 02:39 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Can't say my Spotmatic F looks like new. It and the ES had a very hard and adventurous life. had them since new for about 40 years and they have done a fabulous job. Hope you enjoy yours. Mine have been on display for the most part of the part 20 years seeing the progressive evolution of technology. However i won't part with them.

01-22-2012, 04:33 AM   #5
Veteran Member

In short: it is supposed to work so.
In detail now: The auto/manual switch is there just for compatibility with older Pentax M42 bodies. The Spotmatic F and later ES/ESII have a different M42 mount, which communicates with the levers on the back of SMC Takumar lenses and are thus able to offer open aperture metering. As opposed to stop-down metering, one does not need to close the aperture of the lens to get a proper exposure reading; the camera simply "reads" the aperture from the lens and then subtracts from the exposure calculated wide open. Now comes the part of interest to you. On these open-aperture bodies, Pentax has also changed the mount so it has a groove in which that little pin falls. On previous bodies like the SP, the small pin is depressed and can be switched. On the SPF it cannot, it remains on Auto and for a good reason: if it were in Manual, the aperture would be closed, and the whole engineering system with the open aperture metering would fail (it would subtract from an aperture which it believes is wide open, so it underexposes).
Sorry for the long post, I just hope you fully understand the mechanics of the thing before you break anything

Also, enjoy shooting film with the camera and don't forget to share pictures with us!
01-22-2012, 05:19 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kcobain1992 Quote
In short: it is supposed to work so
What kcobain said. I just tested and that is the case for my lenses (same as your'n) and that is the reason. When I compare the internal edge of my ESII mount with the internal edge of my spotmatic mount they are differently machined and the little groove is clearly visible.
01-22-2012, 06:46 AM   #7

Original Poster
Thanks a lot for all your replies !!

Bob, ok it looks like new now and I like that because it means there's a better change of it working well. But ask me in a year: I never manage to keep cameras in their good looks I have an OM1 that looks like a tank went over it, my once mint LX is developing a brassy caracter . . .

Kcobain, "sorry for the long post" Are you crazy? Your explanation is wonderful and makes it all clear. I suspected it was like that, but now I know why. Makes life simple, we just leave it at auto and stop thinking.

I am going to shoot a film today, and hopefully develop it too . . .

Thanks again !
01-22-2012, 08:27 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Glad I could be helpful

01-24-2012, 03:00 AM - 1 Like   #9

Original Poster
Just to say I did shoot a film in this Spotmatic F. After developing it, I was surprised to see all is fine, the exposures, regular spaces between the negatives, no light leaks, no sticking mirror. The previous and first owner bought it in the middle of the seventies, used it for about ten years and had it sitting in it's bag until now. To me that speaks for itself about the build quality . . .
Attached Images