Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-27-2012, 08:47 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
K1000 Help

Hi, last time I put a new roll of film in my Pentax K1000 the film rewind knob went in at a bit of an angle and doesn't sit flat at the top is this a problem??
It still moves when I advance the film and worked okay when I unloaded the film. Not sure if it affected the film as it hasn't been developed yet.

I will post picks soon.

01-27-2012, 09:09 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Hi,

That usually means the film canister is not properly seated in position. It should snap in place and the film should be aligned within its "channel". You will usually see that the film leader is not properly aligned. It happens to me occasionally so I make sure the rewind knob is properly seated before closing the back. I don't recall shooting a roll like that but if you did my guess is that the images may be a bit "crooked" to an angle in the film. The back plate should have kept it in place but if it was not I guess the focal plane could be compromised and the image may be slightly out of focus. But that is just my guess. It may be OK.
Best of luck!

Thanks,
01-28-2012, 12:18 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ismaelg Quote
Hi,

That usually means the film canister is not properly seated in position. It should snap in place and the film should be aligned within its "channel". You will usually see that the film leader is not properly aligned. It happens to me occasionally so I make sure the rewind knob is properly seated before closing the back. I don't recall shooting a roll like that but if you did my guess is that the images may be a bit "crooked" to an angle in the film. The back plate should have kept it in place but if it was not I guess the focal plane could be compromised and the image may be slightly out of focus. But that is just my guess. It may be OK.
Best of luck!
Okay the film is out of the camera and there is no film in there now but when it is clicked back in it won't go straight
01-28-2012, 12:24 AM   #4

Original Poster
Here are some pics https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/members/46143-tom-hawthorne/albums/4456-camera-problem/

01-28-2012, 05:37 AM   #5
Pentaxian

When you pull the knob out to its full extent, does the shaft look bent?
01-28-2012, 06:38 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

If those pics are without film, then something is wrong. It should be straight without film.
Like Vendee said: Extend the shaft completely and see if it is bent.
If it works, the film canister snaps in place and the film is kept properly placed, it may not be that big of an issue. Not sure if a light leak problem could be caused, but not likely.
Let us know how the roll turns out.

Thanks,
01-28-2012, 11:58 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

If the shaft is OK, and the crank-knob isn't just partly unscrewed from the shaft, could be the guide bushing that holds it. This is a flanged bushing that mounts (under the meter circuit board) to the top of the body casting with three screws. Perhaps these mounting screws are loose.

02-01-2012, 03:01 AM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Vendee Quote
When you pull the knob out to its full extent, does the shaft look bent?
No it doesn't.