Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-28-2012, 09:40 AM   #61
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I've been shooting film since the earth cooled. These things happen. I once "shot" an entire 40 shot cassette on my LX. When the counter hit 40 I began to wonder. Riiiiight! Sure enough, the film hadn't moved a bit. And I'd been marveling at the silky smooth film advance of the Mighty LX!

Stuff happens!

03-28-2012, 09:58 AM   #62
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by grhazelton Quote
And I'd been marveling at the silky smooth film advance of the Mighty LX!
LMAO
03-28-2012, 10:36 AM   #63
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Hahah. This happened to me not too long ago.
It's embarrassing when you send films to a lab, and they call you to say that the roll is empty XD
03-28-2012, 12:51 PM   #64
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
I forgot about that little Imp, he's visited me more than a few times, occasionally fortuitously, more often not
Ah, yes! The Dark Slide Demon. While in my teens I used a baby Speed Graphic to shoot a lovely girl's modern dance recital for the local paper. The camera was the paper's publisher's, and I'd used it only once or twice before, and for far less interesting subjects.

Yes, I forgot to pull the slide, and/or exposed the same sheet several times for most of the 5 or so holders I had along. So, I got perhaps 3 shots out of a possible 10. Tom Wheelwright, the publisher, was most understanding, fortunately. A good man, he.

03-28-2012, 01:07 PM   #65
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
If that's the dumbest thing you ever do then you'll be one of the smarter photographers.

I once spent ages taking quite a few long exposure night shots; did all the right things, tripod, MLU & 2sec timer. Only problem was I took them all from a floating jetty.
I did a 4 hour star trail shot (film) with the lens cap on but the best I ever did was another "4 hr shot" of star trails. Went inside for a coffee, sat down and nodded off. When I woke up, sun was well clear of the horizon and the camera was still out in the middle of the paddock, shutter still open.
03-31-2012, 07:00 PM   #66

Original Poster
Thankfully I haven't made the same mistake again.. yet. Thanks for sharing your screw ups guys, nice to know I'm not alone.
04-01-2012, 10:49 AM   #67
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Things could be worse. I once shot half a roll with one of my rangefinder cameras before I noticed that the lens cap was still on...

Steve

04-05-2012, 05:00 AM   #68
Forum Member

As for dumb things to do with film... I sometimes use bulk film, which i buy in 30meter rolls. I have a proper winder to transfer it to empty film containers. You can configure the winder to mark up to 40 frames but have to pay attention, because if you keep winding, it just keeps putting more film in the container until it's full. So I kept winding and winding... Ended up with a 48 frame film can! Decided to use it anyway... Good news is my Pentax Z1-p had no problem with correct frame count, film advance and rewinding in the end (real tough wind engine, by the way, and by the noise it made advancing the film, you noticed it was strugling...); Bad news is when I was developing the film, the development tank spool wasn't big enough to fit all those frames, so ended up with about 5 or 6 underdeveloped frames.
04-05-2012, 09:44 AM   #69
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Well, I had a hand in this screw-up, but ... some years ago I left several cassettes of C-41 to be processed by a local "lab." I like to support local business.

By error I included a cassette of E-6, a factory load so I know it was plainly marked Fujichrome. You can see where this is going!

Those folks introduced me to cross-processing! Not only did they refuse to replace the film, but they grumbled that I might have ruined their chemicals! I contacted Fuji; they were sympathetic but had no suggestions about how to print the film lacking the orange mask.

Not only was this "lab" the only show in town, it was owned by the local "media czar" who owned the newspaper and the radio station. He fancied himself as Hearst's spiritual heir; he and his wife and son, a well-known lout about town, were difficult to deal with, felt entitled to special privileges and considerations, and treasured grudges. So kicking my complaint up a notch would have been a bad idea in that small town.

I never dealt with the "lab" again.

I think I finally threw the negatives away. If I find them it would be interesting to see if a scanned image could be corrected.
04-05-2012, 10:07 AM   #70
Pentaxian

I think I finally threw the negatives away. If I find them it would be interesting to see if a scanned image could be corrected.
It can, more or less. The photographer at work was given a box of slides that had been accidentally cross processed. Using a second box of similar desert scenes he managed to work out how to correct the scans of the first box. I don't know the details but it seemed very successful from what I could see on screen.

K.
04-05-2012, 11:47 AM   #71
Veteran Member

Well, I had a hand in this screw-up, but ... some years ago I left several cassettes of C-41 to be processed by a local "lab." I like to support local business.

By error I included a cassette of E-6, a factory load so I know it was plainly marked Fujichrome. You can see where this is going!

Those folks introduced me to cross-processing! Not only did they refuse to replace the film, but they grumbled that I might have ruined their chemicals! I contacted Fuji; they were sympathetic but had no suggestions about how to print the film lacking the orange mask.

Not only was this "lab" the only show in town, it was owned by the local "media czar" who owned the newspaper and the radio station. He fancied himself as Hearst's spiritual heir; he and his wife and son, a well-known lout about town, were difficult to deal with, felt entitled to special privileges and considerations, and treasured grudges. So kicking my complaint up a notch would have been a bad idea in that small town.

I never dealt with the "lab" again.

In the right scenario i quite like cross processing, but I like it to be my choice
04-16-2012, 06:58 PM   #72

Not that I'm admitting anything, but don't forget to set the ASA / ISO
07-12-2012, 03:36 AM   #73
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
Digital photography is so uneventful by comparison. I mean, really the worst that can happen with digital is your hard drive crashes and you haven't made a backup (or the backup turns out to be bung) and you lose all 150,000,000,000 frames you've so promiscuously shot. Well, that and going out for a nice day / weekend of shooting and realizing the memory card is sticking out of your PC at home.
This is why I use more than one memory card in smaller sizes. If I have to change cards I know I actually have one in there. Though lately that's not so much of an issue. My K-x is pretty nice about telling me when I'm being a dummy. Second shot in the "No card in camera!!!" warning comes up. That little bit of programming saves a lot of us embarrassment I'd guess. :P
07-29-2012, 06:05 AM   #74

Speaking of screwing up stories, I have one as fresh as yesterday afternoon. I took my 645 (film, not digital) for a spin at a friend's party. I was in a hurry, so I popped in some Portra and off I went. I shot some potraits until the light went down, then had all the necessary fun and went home. Today it struck me that d'oh! Portra is rated 160 but of course the film I shot before that was rated 400 and I forgot to change the ISO so basically all the shots I took were underexposed.

I've successfully pushed b&w film before (and that was a fully conscious choice) but as I am a noob at colour film, do you reckon I should have it developed normally or have it pushed?
07-29-2012, 07:18 AM   #75
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by hooverfocus Quote
Speaking of screwing up stories, I have one as fresh as yesterday afternoon. I took my 645 (film, not digital) for a spin at a friend's party. I was in a hurry, so I popped in some Portra and off I went. I shot some potraits until the light went down, then had all the necessary fun and went home. Today it struck me that d'oh! Portra is rated 160 but of course the film I shot before that was rated 400 and I forgot to change the ISO so basically all the shots I took were underexposed.

I've successfully pushed b&w film before (and that was a fully conscious choice) but as I am a noob at colour film, do you reckon I should have it developed normally or have it pushed?
It is possible to push/pull color film, slide or c41, but not all labs do it. Expect added grain and/or color shifts. Anyway, c41 does have a wide exposure latitude, so even if you dont tell the lab to push it, you will probably not going to have serious underexposure - 160 to 400 is less then 2 stops.