Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-29-2012, 10:28 PM - 1 Like   #1

Photos: Gallery
I Screwed up Pretty Hard

I figured I'd share my film newbie screw up because I feel like an idiot right now and hopefully it can help someone who's new to film like myself. So I'm new to film and I loaded my third roll of tri-X. I guess I got cocky because it went in so easy and I was confident it was loaded right. The next night I went out and took a bunch of what I though where photos. I thought it was a great shoot and would give me some cool picture. Turns out I wasn't actually taking any pictures. Film veterans, Feel free to call me a dumb ass at this point. I was reading the K1000 manual today and it was talking about the rewind knob spinning when you advance the film. I realized that I forgot to check that when I first loaded the roll. I advanced the film and to my horror nothing moved. I guess what I learned from this is ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS MAKE SURE THE REWIND KNOB SPINS.

01-29-2012, 10:32 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've done this once as well- don't be too embarrassed

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
01-29-2012, 10:47 PM   #3
Veteran Member

If that's the dumbest thing you ever do then you'll be one of the smarter photographers.

I once spent ages taking quite a few long exposure night shots; did all the right things, tripod, MLU & 2sec timer. Only problem was I took them all from a floating jetty.
01-29-2012, 10:49 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
If that's the dumbest thing you ever do then you'll be one of the smarter photographers.

I once spent ages taking quite a few long exposure night shots; did all the right things, tripod, MLU & 2sec timer. Only problem was I took them all from a floating jetty.
LOL! That's the dumbest thing I've heard all day! But it's 12:48AM here, so there's time still...

01-29-2012, 10:53 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote

Live and learn I guess or shoot and learn in this case.
01-29-2012, 11:27 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bam431 Quote
I figured I'd share my film newbie screw up because I feel like an idiot right now and hopefully it can help someone who's new to film like myself. So I'm new to film and I loaded my third roll of tri-X. I guess I got cocky because it went in so easy and I was confident it was loaded right. The next night I went out and took a bunch of what I though where photos. I thought it was a great shoot and would give me some cool picture. Turns out I wasn't actually taking any pictures. Film veterans, Feel free to call me a dumb ass at this point. I was reading the K1000 manual today and it was talking about the rewind knob spinning when you advance the film. I realized that I forgot to check that when I first loaded the roll. I advanced the film and to my horror nothing moved. I guess what I learned from this is ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS MAKE SURE THE REWIND KNOB SPINS.
Don’t worry it’s happened to most film shooters, it’s part of the pleasures of shooting film! At some point or another you’ll also forget to rewind the film and open the back cover of the camera and fog the last few shots of the roll.

Welcome to the film club!

Phil.
01-30-2012, 12:14 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Some years ago I spent an hour or two taking film shots of a parade with a rangefinder camera. When it was all over I realised I had had the lens cap on the whole time.

01-30-2012, 12:16 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bam431 Quote
I realized that I forgot to check that when I first loaded the roll. I advanced the film and to my horror nothing moved. I guess what I learned from this is ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS MAKE SURE THE REWIND KNOB SPINS.
Hey, just did the same thing last week! Anyone knows how I could still use that roll of film now that it's fully rewinded inside the plastic box???
01-30-2012, 12:20 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Back in photo school there were these two students who had just been given their list of required materials to buy for photo class, one of which was photo paper for printing in the darkroom. The two students wanted to share the expense so they bought a box of Ilford, proceeded to open it up in plain light and started counting out the sheets -- one for you, one for me...
01-30-2012, 01:05 AM   #10

QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
Back in photo school there were these two students who had just been given their list of required materials to buy for photo class, one of which was photo paper for printing in the darkroom. The two students wanted to share the expense so they bought a box of Ilford, proceeded to open it up in plain light and started counting out the sheets -- one for you, one for me...

LOL, a classic.

One of the cool things with manual rewind of film, is that you can stop before all is in the box. Just stop turning until the rewind knob stops turning, then a flap of film will stik out. My Contax 167MT can't do that, auto rewind. But then again loading is also auto, that's great!
01-30-2012, 02:07 AM   #11
Pentaxian

How about shooting a roll of film to discover you hadn't loaded one?... 36... 37... 38... 39.... 40.... oh phooey...
01-30-2012, 02:40 AM - 1 Like   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by victordeamorin Quote
Hey, just did the same thing last week! Anyone knows how I could still use that roll of film now that it's fully rewinded inside the plastic box???
Yep, first take a paperclip straighten out one leg, with a pair of needle nose pliers bend the straight leg at a right angle with about 1/8 inch or shorter leg. Next rewind your film canister until you hear the leader just clear the round part of the canister. In theory the film leader should be laying flat against the flat part of the canister. Next insert paperclip into the film slot, rotate the paperclip 90 degrees to where the short leg is facing out and start fishing for a hole in long side of the leader. When you feel the clip engage a hole gently pull the film out to expose the end of the leader. It worked for me........Cliff
01-30-2012, 02:48 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Thanks Cliff, I'll definitely give it a try tonight!
01-30-2012, 02:56 AM   #14
Veteran Member

on a trip to Holland some 8 years ago, I only had the old Zenit 11 with me loaded with Fuji Superia 400
what happened was that after couple of shots, the edge perforation tore and the advance lever kept providing some resistance, which assured me that I was actually advancing the film, and of course I did not check the rewind knob
so, after some 5 - 6 shots I then took another 30 shots on one frame...you learn best on your own mistakes
01-30-2012, 04:32 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

OK, I'll join...
Many years ago, with my then relatively new K1000, I was in a park when a helicopter landed next to me. Being an aviation freak I started shooting approach and landing. Standing bravely (and foolishly) too close I almost got knocked out by the wind, but I got some GREAT shots!!!! or so I thought. When the helicopter took off, I started shooting again and realized it was already in frame number 38, 39, 40, 41... wait, the roll was a 24......
Yep! Never advanced.......
Welcome to the club!

Thanks,