Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
01-30-2012, 04:55 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
And I have managed with my K1000 somehow to tear the perforation holes upon loading. Took some 20 exposures in a single frame, before I noticed that the rewind knob didn't turn as it should.

01-30-2012, 05:41 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Welcome to the club.
It has a pretty large membership.

Mickey
01-30-2012, 05:45 AM   #18
Veteran Member

You could buy a film extractor.
Or, if you are lucky, your friendly photo shop might have one and extract the leader for you.

Mickey
01-30-2012, 06:12 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I don’t have an “ OH s**t, I dropped a lens moment” but I think this one qualifies in this category.. My story goes back to my film days. Rick Hansen was doing his "Wheels in Motion" tour crossing Canada in a wheelchair for charity and passed through our town. It was –30 C that day as I positioned myself to catch him silhouetted against the sky coming up the overpass. The light was perfect as I blasted away with my MX/winder combination. He later spoke at the local arena to a gathering of students. I was close enough to see the filthy rags of adhesive tape he used to protect his hands, They were hanging down like dirty icicles as he gripped the wheel and I thought wow that image tells the whole story. I zeroed in on the hands and top of the wheel. I took multiple shots. I was certain I had nailed the shot. I arrived home later that day only to find the leader in the film canister had ripped off due to the cold. I suspect I lost some of the best shots I (almost) ever took that day. The images are still burned in my mind but I have no evidence.

Tom G

01-30-2012, 06:12 AM   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Who knew that "photo shop" can also be used to extract film . . . ;-)

Done it myself a few times but I wonder how much more of this were attributable to some camera designs like the Nikon F, F2 & F3 (and others?) where the rewind knob can be covered-up by a flash as it is also the flash mount? Or how about the take up sppol design of the ME Super and the like?
01-30-2012, 06:22 AM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Getting to frame 42 is always an eye-(and brain)-opener. Happened to me after capturing the sights in Washington DC in 1970. I blame it on the Army - it had been a wile since I handled a camera.
01-30-2012, 06:30 AM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Been there done that. The other one is to open the back not realizing that the film hasn't been rewound. Done that too.

01-30-2012, 07:04 AM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

As mentioned by others we've all done this.

In fact this is an official 35mm film shooter's rite of passage.

Welcome to the club!

Chris

Last edited by ChrisPlatt; 01-30-2012 at 07:12 AM.
01-30-2012, 07:07 AM   #24
Veteran Member

I toured Europe years ago with an Olympus XA2 in my fanny pack. Yes, a fanny pack - they were cool back then. Anyways, I would sometimes pass the time at train stations and on trains pressing the little button on the bottom of the camera, the one that you press when rewinding a finished roll, and ended up with a lot of double-exposures as a result! Doh!
01-30-2012, 07:17 AM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Did it just a few weeks ago in on the first roll of film I loaded after many years! I even wrote down all the exposure info for the first time ever. Something wasn't right when I hit 28 on a 24 experience roll. I am sure it wasn't the first time I did it.

Last edited by jimmm18; 01-31-2012 at 12:23 AM.
01-30-2012, 07:19 AM   #26

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by victordeamorin Quote
Hey, just did the same thing last week! Anyone knows how I could still use that roll of film now that it's fully rewinded inside the plastic box???
I did that on my first roll by accident after about 4 shots. This time around I managed to save the roll.
01-30-2012, 08:28 AM   #27
Veteran Member

Do you know what this is?

Yes, this is film loading failure resulting in 15 overlapped photos on the first frame. Now that frame looked almost black, but the lab that scanned it managed to pull this out of it. Immense dynamic range, I might say. Digital would have hit pitch white after the second shot.
01-30-2012, 08:47 AM   #28
Veteran Member

Back in the late 80s (1980s that is) I had a new Minolta Dynax 7000i and it did everything of course, 1 button automatic film rewind as well.

However, it also used little plug in programming cards (like SD cards) and it came with the 'Custom Function' card that would let you set various options. One of the most useful options it let you set was to rewind the film by pressing the rewind button BUT leave the leader sticking out. I set that option the first day and left it set.

You could accidentally rewind the film and then reload it and advance to about the frame you'd left it at (as long as you remembered) by taking a load of photos with the lens cap on and the viewfinder covered.

I don't know who the genius at Minolta was who put that option in it but it did save me embarrassment several times.
01-30-2012, 09:00 AM   #29

Well just recently I decided to take my MX for a ride... but on the back window there was still a piece of cardboard indicating I had some Ilford FP4+ inside. The counter, though, was set on the dot before the 0, so I was immediately assailed by doubts: "is the film inside?", "have I loaded it but haven't forwarded it yet?", "have I rewinded it already but left it in the camera?". So I spent the next 20 minutes trying to remeber what the case was, all the while searching online for frame indicator signals that could point me in either direction. As I eventually found out, the camera resets the counter to the dot every time you open the back, so I popped it open, and sure enough, nothing was inside... but I had just wasted enough time that the light outside was gone!
01-30-2012, 09:08 AM   #30
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bam431 Quote
. . . I feel like an idiot right now . . . ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS MAKE SURE THE REWIND KNOB SPINS.
The difference between chagrined and Doh! - Idiot! is whether it was the first or second time you did it.

And yes, it is a VERY large Club.