Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-30-2012, 08:44 AM - 1 Like   #1

Asahi Pentax SL

Hi everybody,

I bought an Asahi Pentax SL 35mm film camera yesterday. I am new to Pentax so I'd like to get more information about this camera. Any reviews or instructions would be much appreciated!

Also, usually how much do these cameras go for? the lens is f1.8/55mm.

I just put a roll of Fujifilm color in it. hoping to develop this weekend. Wish me luck.

thanks all!

01-30-2012, 09:26 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The SL is just a Spotmatic with no internal light meter. Apparently it isn't crippled in any other way (shutter goes from 1s to 1/1000, self timer still present), so it might be actually a good thing. It is a 100% mechanical camera, no battery, less things that can go wrong (Spotmatics are renown for defective light meters), so it should be very reliable, provided that you know how to use it properly and it is in good condition. For proper exposure without a light meter, I usually use the sunny 16 rule, but more like "sunny 11". No problems at all, it actually trains your eye to guess the exposure. Now, the prices vary much depending on the condition of the camera. I have seen recently an auction for a nice SV (similar to yours, but older) plus that Super Takumar 1,8/55 ending at $20. But don't be fooled by the price, I once had the chance to use that lens (bought it as a present for someone) and I lusted for it ever since.
You can find a manual here.
01-30-2012, 09:30 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Here is the information on that camera from the forum database: pentaxforums.com/camerareviews/pentax-sl

As you probably know that is an M42 screw mount camera so it cannot use modern lenses. The M42 lenses though can be used on modern cameras with an adapter. The 55mm f/1.8 is a very nice lens. I have one in the S-M-C variety and like it a lot. Even if you don't keep the camera consider hanging onto that lens.
01-30-2012, 10:14 AM   #4

"Spotmatics are renown for defective light meters"

If a Spotmatic were to have a defective light-meter after 40 years of service, that's not at all bad! I have about ten Spotmatics from various years of production. On only one of them was ever a problem with the light-meter.

The Spotmatic is a highly reliable camera in every respect, as is its meterless sibling, the SL.

Have fun.

Chanel

01-30-2012, 12:20 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
While I have had to replace a CDS cell in a Spotmatic meter, overall I'm amazed at how reliable they have proven. And CDS cell failures in Spotmatics are much rarer than in the Leicaflex SL of the late 60s. The usual lightmeter problems are corrosion in the battery compartment caused by leaving batteries in place while stored. Spotmatics also don't need the Wein cells or recalibration to work with today's 1.5V batteries.
On the other hand, I do appreciate the older, all mechanical models, as they are simpler to work on.
01-30-2012, 03:04 PM   #6

To jatrax:

Nice line-up of Takumar lenses you are sporting there!!!

From another Takumar-fanatic,

Chanel
01-30-2012, 03:18 PM   #7

Original Poster
I have 2 Holga cameras (one is a 110 that I am still having trouble finding films for). Also have my dad's old school 35mm but I think this Pentax is a lot better built than that one. I primarily shoot Mark II but I think a film camera is what true photography is all about.

I hope this lens is sharp and colors good. I can't wait to develop this roll....
01-30-2012, 04:25 PM   #8
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by kcobain1992 Quote
(Spotmatics are renown for defective light meters)
id really like to know how you've come to that conclusion. when one considers just how many spotmatics were manufactured, just how many still survive today and are in use, the number of bodies with a possibly 'defective' light meter is likely so minuscule as to not even be worth counting. also, there is a very big difference between 'defective' and simply 'broken'. I personally think this statement is just downright false. I have owned probably close to 20 different spotmatics over the time that I have been using film, and I have never come across a single one with a 'defective' meter system.

01-30-2012, 04:28 PM   #9
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by AsahiSL Quote
I hope this lens is sharp and colors good. I can't wait to develop this roll....
you don't need to worry about that. the Pentax bodies and lenses were true professional equipment. the Takumar lenses are just as good as any lens from any high end manufacturer. even better in some cases. the 55mm 1.8 is a lens that most people here own, some of us own several of them. your holgas aren't even in the same league as the Pentax and Takumar lenses, your other camera may not be either depending on what it is. your only real concern should be the body, as it may need a CLA or need a light seal replacement, if it hasn't been serviced anytime in the recent past. both of these things are part of the normal maintenance thats required to keep a mechanical camera in proper working order.
01-30-2012, 06:33 PM   #10
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Chanel Quote
Nice line-up of Takumar lenses you are sporting there!!!
Thank you! All I need is a S-M-C 500mm to complete the line but sadly the prices have risen so much for Takumars that I cannot justify the expense.