Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
01-31-2012, 04:25 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Whats up? Prices going sky-high?

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

I just came across this item on ebay.. is the guy crazy?

Pentax SM 35/3.5 Super-Takumar Jack-Pot no. #777777 | eBay

And I found another one who is stealing quotes from our forum members:

eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices

Nice uh?

01-31-2012, 04:31 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Baard-Einar Quote
I just came across this item on ebay.. is the guy crazy?

Pentax SM 35/3.5 Super-Takumar Jack-Pot no. #777777 | eBay

And I found another one who is stealing quotes from our forum members:

eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices

Nice uh?
That guy is shooting for the sky on nothing but the serial number, ha. It will not sell at that price. Last I checked, that lens was worth about 60 bucks.
01-31-2012, 04:40 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That seller lists a lot of rare stuff, always at prices considerably above the going market. Sometimes 10 times what the same thing goes for at auction. But he always has cool stuff and I suppose he sells things once in a while. Check his website sometime, I wish I knew where he gets this stuff. There are a few lenses I would like to own but not at those prices.
01-31-2012, 06:21 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Free market economy.........

01-31-2012, 06:24 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

That lens has been on eBay once or twice before over the last 10 years.
02-01-2012, 07:40 AM   #6
Veteran Member

That seller, "gokevincameras", always lists his stuff at insane prices. Don't use him as a guide to figure out current market pricing.
02-01-2012, 09:56 AM   #7

There are so many crazy listings on eBay there is no way to use them as a guide for current market pricing. I always look at completed listings (items that sold or didn't sell) for a better gauge.

02-01-2012, 04:48 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by adelorenzo Quote
There are so many crazy listings on eBay there is no way to use them as a guide for current market pricing. I always look at completed listings (items that sold or didn't sell) for a better gauge.

That is oh so true. I wanted to pick up a cpu to test a couple of boards that I have. I found a new one for 1/3 the price of what they were selling on Ebay for.
02-01-2012, 08:49 PM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by sameagle Quote
That seller, "gokevincameras", always lists his stuff at insane prices. Don't use him as a guide to figure out current market pricing.
His prices are insane, but if you must have a particular item in mint condition and want it ASAP, he Kevin may be your man. There are a few people on this forum who have purchased from him.

Steve
02-01-2012, 08:57 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Yes Kevin's prices are high but my sense is Pentax prices both used and new seem to be up a bit.

If the rumors about a full frame Pentax in a K mount are true the prices of used glass (Takumar, K, M, A , FA etc.) will likely go up.

This assumes Pentax/Ricoh continue to support legacy lenses.

Tom G
02-01-2012, 09:30 PM - 1 Like   #11
Veteran Member

There has been a definite upward trend the past year or so towards older SLR gear selling for a lot more than it used to. You can't hardly find a K1000 and a kit lens locally for less than $200. It's just insane. I look on CL and all I see are people asking $150, $200 and up. Even at the thrifts all of a sudden every lens they get $20 and up, every camera $60 and up. I don't shop on Ebay at all but everywhere else I go prices are up all over. It's got to be the using all lenses/mirrorless thing and people using adapters to put them on those and DSLR's. There's no other explanation for it. It's not like everybody has suddenly gone back to using film 100% of the time.

What amuses me most? Is that I can't even sell my unwanted gear at half that and yet I never see anyone listing anything for less. I've got several cameras and sets of lenses I just don't even want now and yet I can't seemingly do anything with them except give them away pretty much. I thought it was just the lack of paypal thing? It's not. Can't sell anything locally either and that's despite 3 local colleges having photography courses...

If I wanted to sell the couple of more rare items I own I could probably do that but otherwise likely I'm just going to be sitting on my extra gear for the rest of my life apparently unless I chose to donate it at some point which honestly I'm not all that inclined to do. I don't really know why a lot of the people I see even bother. Unless you're selling on Ebay with Pay Pal and you're prepared to lose half in fees and/or potentially risk losing your merchandise to scam artists using Pay Pal to their advantage you're not going to likely sell much anyway no matter how much value you think your old gear has.

FYI, even my CU and Pay Pal apparently didn't loathe each other for some reason I think I'd be rethinking my decision to use Pay Pal anyhow. I basically felt forced to go there when I signed up. No one wanted to pay with anything else. But every other day on one of my doll boards it seems someone is popping up and reporting being scammed via Pay Pal and Ebay. I'm talking in some cases 100's of dollars and Pay Pal is just apparently letting people get away with it.

Winning an auction and then using the "not as described" clause as a way to extort a certain percentage off the winning bid is apparently getting very common. Or people will send back dolls supposedly and send Pay Pal a tracking # saying that they did to get a refund and all the seller gets back is a box full of paper or whatever. Or they claim they never got the doll at all, (Sometimes despite a delivery confirmation notice.) and again Pay Pal refunds regardless. In the end it's the word of one person versus the other and Pay Pal always seems to put the buyer before the seller.

Even the die hard Ebay/Pay Pal people on the boards are not very happy with the status quo. More and more they're turning to doll meet ups, shows, and conventions, face to face contact to do their selling. There are certain sections on Ebay now that have a fraction of the ads they used to for certain highly collectible dolls because the doll people are just too leery of selling on there to want to go there anymore.

I don't know if it's the same with camera gear but between the higher prices and the potential for being scammed I admittedly don't even look at Ebay anymore. I rarely even look at the Marketplace here when I want something. I just don't feel it's affordable for me anymore and while I trust the members here for the most part I don't know that I'd feel the same way about people on my other photo boards. Besides which everyone wants Pay Pal. It makes it difficult for me to go there even when I do have money to spend. I used to think nothing of buying and selling doll stuff online but lately? I see people selling and or trading I'm much more likely to pass than I used to be. It's not just camera gear. Everything has gone up a lot lately.

Dolls that used to sell for $20-30 they're commonly asking twice that used now and new I can't afford much either unless I hit some kind of deep clearance sale I can't afford to buy anything new. It doesn't matter if it's a camera bag or a Barbie really. Retail prices, used prices, they've just gotten so high that I can't afford to hardly shop at all anymore...
02-01-2012, 10:08 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Well what have you got Meg? Shot me a PM or the for sale forum here is excellent I think.