Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-01-2012, 05:40 AM   #1

how do i achieve this effect?

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Hello everyone!

Total photography noob here, and I randomly stumbled upon this photo:

I'm guessing this photo used a semi-fish eye type lens or lens attachment? I was just wondering how can I achieve this effect with a Pentax SF-1 camera. Is it is even possible with my model/current lens?

The lens I'm using is a "SMC Pentax-F zoom 35-70mm lens"

02-01-2012, 06:21 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sigma make a 4.5mm fish eye that I think can do this. Take a look in the lens reviews section for sigma primes.

As for lens attachments, there are loads of fish eye attachments out there. You can kind of tell they have a HUGE attachment on by looking at the top photo. So it's probably doable at 35mm on your zoom if you find the strongest fisheye adapter you can and stick it on the front.
02-01-2012, 06:22 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Looks to me like they were shot with a screw on fisheye adapter on a wide angle lens. Maybe ~28mm.
02-01-2012, 06:23 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

As in like this:

Well you have to have some sort of circular fisheye lens. I shot this on my Pentax PZ-1p with a Sigma 8mm lens. It has a 180 degree field of view.

02-01-2012, 07:12 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Is it the image distortion or the vignetting you're asking about?

I think the image distortion is the result of using a fish-eye lens; vignetting could be using a fish-eye lens designed for full frame on a cropped sensor camera, OR using a long lens hood, OR a 'mask' added in post production.
02-01-2012, 07:14 AM   #6

Photos: Albums
Well you need some kind of circula fish-eye lens or some apropriate converter.

This one was made with Sigma circular fisheye 8mm f4 filtermatic on K-7 (it is a circular fish-eye lens for full-frame thus cropping the circle on the top and bottom)

This one was made with Spiratone 0.15x fish-eye converter. In this case the converter was attached to Pentax DA 18-55mm WR lens (kit lens) and Pentax K-7.

02-01-2012, 08:13 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery

I took this one through a peephole, but it still kinda gets the effect you are looking for. A hardware store might have peepholes for cheap, if you are looking for a super budget alternative.

02-01-2012, 10:05 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Besides a peephole lens (which has LOW image quality) I have three full-circle fisheye options.

1) Kenko (also sold as Spiratone, Vivitar, etc) 180 Degree Fisheye adapter (0.16x) f/3.5-90. I mount this on a midrange zoom (~35-80mm). At ~40mm I get full-circle fisheye; at ~60mm and beyond, it's frame-filling. Aperture MUST be stopped down for any edge sharpness, so it's mostly a tripod lens, and the edges are never great. Can probably be had for around US$50.

2) Precision Design Super AF Fisheye adapter (0.25x). I mount this on my DA18-55 or DA18-250. At 18-20mm it's full-circle fisheye. More CA than the Kenko but better edge resolution and it doesn't eat light. This is now my preferred full-circle fisheye. I got mine new on eBay a couple months ago for US$20 shipped.

3) Vemar-Sigma (also sold as Spiratone, Vivitar, etc) 12mm f/8-16 lens in T2 mount. This is a fixed-focus lens with Waterhouse stops -- aperture is a wheel with holes for f/8-11-16, no iris. It's full-circle fisheye on a full-frame camera, not quite full-circle on APS-C. Mine cost about US$100 and is misaligned; its DOF at f/16 is about 10cm-2m. Definitely another tripod lens. NOT RECOMMENDED!

Besides fisheye lenses and adapters, the full-circle effect can also be achieved in software. Shoot a 180-degree panorama series and stitch them together into one big frame, then use a fisheye filter in whatever editing warez you use. Takes a little more time; costs nothing.
02-01-2012, 10:24 AM   #9
Veteran Member

there is the Holga rout too for $99 you get Fish eye, tele, wide, normal and macro

Buy Digital Holga Kitchen Sink Kit - Digital Holga Lens and 5 Holga Lenses including new Fisheye for DSLR cheap online - HolgaDirect

and dreamy (read crap) image quality to go with it
02-03-2012, 12:49 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stanislav Quote
This one was made with Sigma circular fisheye 8mm f4 filtermatic on K-7 (it is a circular fish-eye lens for full-frame thus cropping the circle on the top and bottom)
That's kinda cool.
Would you put the same kind of attachment on for a film SLR?
Is this the kind of thing Mareket means by loads of lens adapters?
02-03-2012, 01:07 AM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
there is the Holga rout too for $99 you get Fish eye, tele, wide, normal and macro

Buy Digital Holga Kitchen Sink Kit - Digital Holga Lens and 5 Holga Lenses including new Fisheye for DSLR cheap online - HolgaDirect

and dreamy (read crap) image quality to go with it
intriguing! but out of my price range =(

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
2) Precision Design Super AF Fisheye adapter (0.25x). I mount this on my DA18-55 or DA18-250. At 18-20mm it's full-circle fisheye. More CA than the Kenko but better edge resolution and it doesn't eat light. This is now my preferred full-circle fisheye. I got mine new on eBay a couple months ago for US$20 shipped.
would that be able to fit onto any lens?

QuoteOriginally posted by Mareket Quote
Sigma make a 4.5mm fish eye that I think can do this. Take a look in the lens reviews section for sigma primes.

As for lens attachments, there are loads of fish eye attachments out there. You can kind of tell they have a HUGE attachment on by looking at the top photo. So it's probably doable at 35mm on your zoom if you find the strongest fisheye adapter you can and stick it on the front.
would any adapter be able to fit on my lens? or do i have to get a specific kind?
02-03-2012, 01:39 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ajyp Quote
QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico:
would that be able to fit onto any lens?
That fisheye aattachment has a 58mm thread. With step rings, it can be used on lenses with front threads anywhere from 72mm on down. Yes, I've tried it on such lenses, with no vignetting. And it came with a set of rings, I think 55-52-49mm.

QuoteOriginally posted by ajyp:
QuoteOriginally posted by Mareket:
would any adapter be able to fit on my lens? or do i have to get a specific kind?
The only adapters needed are cheap step-rings. You can find sets of multiple rings over a wide range for like US$10 shipped. HINT: Lightly rub a wax candle on the threads so the rings won't stick together.
02-03-2012, 01:44 AM   #13

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Alliecat Quote
That's kinda cool.
Would you put the same kind of attachment on for a film SLR?
Is this the kind of thing Mareket means by loads of lens adapters?
Well, I do not understand what you mean actually.

If you are talking about the Sigma lens (Sigma Fisheye Circular Image 8mm f4 Filtermatic), then you can reed a review on Sigma Fisheye Circular Image 8mm f4 Filtermatic Lens Reviews - Sigma Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database

Now that is a lens it is not an adapter, and as such it is used mounted on the camera as any other lens. It is a circular fisheye lens meaning that it project a hemisphere (everything in front of the camera with 180 degree coverage) on a circle on film plane. Since this is a full-frame lens, the diameter of the circle is made so that it fits on the film (film size is 36x24mm whereas pentax aps-c size is 23.6x15.7mm). From the photo above I can estimate that the diameter of the projected circle is little less then the width of the sensor or about 23mm.

Since I have also some film bodies (MZ-7) I have tested the lens on the film as well, and yes it gives a full circle with 180 degrees coverage. So I hope that i have answered your question if that was your question, otherwise, pleas ask again.