Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-09-2012, 06:22 PM   #16
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by sparkston Quote
I have an LX which exhibits mirror problems which do not seem to be "classical" sticky mirror, which I understand is due to the aging of rubber pads supporting the mirror in the down position.

When I release the shutter of my camera for the first time after a period of non-use (an hour is enough), the mirror lifts v..e..r..y s..l..o..w..l..y. I don't think this is the usual problem a) because I have had the pads replaced, and b) because the mirror lifts of the pads immediately- it is the entire movement to the "mirror up" position that is slow. If I take another shot immediately it is much faster, and a third shot is at usual speed.

Can anyone suggest what the problem might be here?

Sparkston
That is exactly the LX sticky-mirror syndrome. Mine was like that for years, and I began to also notice that the focus was always off - which is because the mirror angle changes.
A trip to Eric has cured it for the next several years at least.

05-05-2012, 09:01 AM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LesDMess Quote
philippe, since you have the three variants, can you show a picture of the variant with the two white dots on the curtain? I believe mine is at least the second (ASA 3200) but I don't see these dots and it doesn't have the circular trigger lock.

Perhaps these variants are further identified by year of manufacture and/or serial numbers? If anyone is aware of a database that would be great.
Sorry, LesDess, for the rather late reaction, but it's only now I had the time to shoot a few pictures (made in a hurry) to show the differences of the three versions.
First, the release button lock of the original version (#01) and the the original mirror support (#02), on the right side, seen from the front.
Then, in the second version, the 'reenforced' variant of the mirror support (#03), again on the right side, seen from the front. This version had an extra light meter switch added, incorporated in the prism unlock button. No change of the release button lock yet.
Then the third version, having the new variant of the release button lock (#04) and the shutter curtain of which two white dots where eliminated, up and down on the border (#05). But the mirror support and the light meter switch was the same as in the second version.
I hope you understand what I am trying to say...
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
05-05-2012, 12:53 PM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
One of my LX's had the sticky mirror syndrome, since repaired by Eric and working great. Based on Phillipe's pictures this one was the second variant with the mirror support reinforcement but with the original shutter locking ring. This one is serial number 5289977, for whatever that is worth. At least one of my LX's has had the bottom plate replaced at some point in the past.

The second may or may not have had the sticky mirror problem. I am not sure since I purchased it direct from Eric and it was CLA'd as part of the purchase.

My first LX was $380 with another $180 spent with Eric. The second cost $425 complete with CLA so the $500 per working example estimate may be a touch high. I do find it interesting to look back at the sale ads in my August 1981 Popular Photography to see the LX Body advertised for around $450 at the time. You could actually buy the Pentax 6x7 Body for about $90 less than the LX. Keeping things in perspective, the K1000 Body was going for less than $100, with a 50mm f2 lens for less than $140, so the LX was certainly at the top of the heap at the time.

Still is at the top in my book.
05-05-2012, 03:38 PM   #19

I have two LXs (both ISO 3200). One is the same as the second example in philippe's example with the re-enforced mirror support and the MX style shutter lock (serial 5276xxx). The other (serial 5289xxx) has the circular shutter lock, re-enforced mirror support and also the two dots on the shutter blind, same as the other.

Last edited by johnha; 05-05-2012 at 05:38 PM.
06-22-2012, 04:21 AM   #20

My LX suffers from sticky mirror from time to time.

If you have this problem, how often does it occur?
I can't get it to happen when I test...it seems to strike when I'm actually shooting film (how convenient)

Out of 36 shots, 4 came out over-exposed, completely white on the negative therefore undeveloped (or is this under-exposure?)
I thought the shutter closes when the mirror gets stuck, therefore preserving the image?

All in all, will sticky mirror syndrome ruin an exposure?
06-22-2012, 05:41 AM   #21
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by zerotonothing Quote
Out of 36 shots, 4 came out over-exposed, completely white on the negative therefore undeveloped (or is this under-exposure?)
I thought the shutter closes when the mirror gets stuck, therefore preserving the image?
This sounds like a shutter problem rather than the usual sticky mirror. The LX mirror tends to stick down, before the shutter activates, so that you press the release, then lens stops, and the viewfinder image shifts just a bit and hesitates, but the shutter doesn't fire until the mirror finally decides to rise. The shutter is interlocked so it won't fire until the mirror is up.

If your shutter is firing before the mirror rises I'd expect at least some fogging on the negative from stray light going around the mirror. It the film is completely clear on these frames the film was not exposed at all. That usually means both curtains traveled together without opening; meaning the second curtain didn't delay the xxx thousands of a second that it should have before following the first curtain. I've seen this happen on several old mechanical bodies when the shutter timing mechanism needs CLA, and it often is intermittent.

The LX shutter is both electronic timed (in automatic mode) and mechanical (in manual mode), so is unusual. Do you know if you were in auto or manual? I guess in either case it should have a trip to Eric to sort it out.
06-22-2012, 05:00 PM   #22
Giveaway winner!

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by TomB_tx Quote
The LX shutter is both electronic timed (in automatic mode) and mechanical (in manual mode), so is unusual. Do you know if you were in auto or manual? I guess in either case it should have a trip to Eric to sort it out.
60th down to 4 seconds is electronic as well as Auto.

QuoteOriginally posted by TomB_tx Quote
The LX mirror tends to stick down, before the shutter activates, so that you press the release, then lens stops, and the viewfinder image shifts just a bit and hesitates, but the shutter doesn't fire until the mirror finally decides to rise.
that could be the seldom talked about form. It is the arm that stops-down the lens and it is stuck and can't move.

Last edited by MysteryOnion; 06-22-2012 at 05:06 PM.