Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-07-2012, 09:04 AM   #1

shutter lock insert on/off MX

well, presently it's off. Missing from my MX. Not the lock, but the insert. I have seen other cameras in eBay for sale with this plastic insert missing as well. Seems like it was just pinched and glued in, but not really fastened well. The camera and lock get along ok without the insert, but it hurts my feng shue or whatever that it's gone missing. Is this common ? Anyone got one of these little plastic inserts to part with ? Prob. not, but I thought I'd give it a shot.

02-07-2012, 02:24 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Plastic insert on the shutter lock on off? What plastic piece? The DOF and self timer lever? thats plastic...
02-07-2012, 02:50 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Extremely common. Why didn't they make it a single piece of solid metal? I don't know.
02-07-2012, 04:23 PM   #4
Alx

Original Poster
bmonki, The later MX cameras had a one-piece shutter lock, but earlier MX cameras have a black plastic serrated insert in the protrusion .... which falls out, and leaves two very sharp edges with which to turn the lock. My hands and fingers don't mind due to years of carpentry and mechanical work, but the edges are very sharp.

02-07-2012, 08:29 PM   #5

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Alx, I'm currently carrying around a parts MX in my car. If you PM me your address I'll see if I can pop it in the mail to you. Hopefully then you'll be able to save on those annoying fingertip bandaids .
02-08-2012, 02:51 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If it fell off on mine I might fill the gap with some black silicone sealant.

Chris
02-11-2012, 09:02 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Mine came off years ago and I just glued it back in place.

Its been there ever since.

Tom G

02-11-2012, 05:20 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I have two MX's and both are missing the insert. Both fell off during use and are lost. One is still missing; for the other, I fashioned a replacement out of soft plastic and glued in place.

Too bad there isn't a supply of those inserts; I'd like to restore those with original parts.
02-15-2012, 04:39 PM   #9

Mine are missing the black dot on the selftimer lever, seems also very common. Also a lot of these M-cams are missing the top part of the wind lever, also common on M's, who did say these were sturdy build cameras?
02-17-2012, 01:03 PM   #10
Alx

Original Poster
Elliot, see the PM I sent you. US MAIL must have tried to machine process the envelope you sent the part in, it is missing, broken out of the sealed envelope, right thru the middle of the face of the envelope.
02-17-2012, 01:30 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
My MX was quite late in the series (bought new in early 1981) and had this part. I fell off after a year or so, but I noticed at the moment it came off and was able to keep it. Glued it back with a 2-part epoxy (Araldite). And that will hold most hard plastics to metal for a life-time (a human one, not the life of the glue).

The MX is still sturdy, in my judgmeent, because this was the only fault I had, and it was totally inconsequential for photography. Just like the Zeiss Ikon Contessa (early 1950s) hwich was tough. The one I use had several faults, including pieces such as the flash connector totally torn off. Soemone gave it a rough life! But it still got pefect pictures.
02-17-2012, 06:20 PM   #12
Alx

Original Poster
Does anyone else have an MX parts camera that would be willing to sell me the shutter lock ring button and insert from ?
02-18-2012, 04:57 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Alx Quote
Elliot, see the PM I sent you. US MAIL must have tried to machine process the envelope you sent the part in,
it is missing, broken out of the sealed envelope, right thru the middle of the face of the envelope.
Today all mail is normally processed by machine. For special handling (e.g. nonmachinable) you must place it in
an appropriate mailer, request same from clerk at post office and pay additional. Or you can take your chances...

Chris
USPS Automation Maintenance employee

Last edited by ChrisPlatt; 02-19-2012 at 07:06 PM.
02-18-2012, 08:47 PM   #14

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
Today all mail is normally processed by machine. For special handling (e.g. nonmachinable) you must place it in an appropriate mailer, request same from clerk at post office and pay additional. Or you can take your chances...
This was just a mental malfunction on my part. I should have known better.

Elliot
02-18-2012, 10:30 PM   #15
Alx

Original Poster
But a very generous intention, for a fellow Pentaxor, and I appreciate it.