Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-09-2012, 09:09 AM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
LX grip alternatives

My LX has been newly refreshed by Eric, and I'm thinking about a grip for it. It currently does not have a grip.

I'll be honest, I never liked the look of the original Grip B or Grip A. They seem like an ugly and uncomfortable appendage on the clean lines of the Pentax LX. I wish there was something more like the grip from the Pentax Super Program available. I am even more turned off when the price of an original grip in good condition is twice the price of my LX camera body.

What alternatives have you found? I'm thinking of two.

A Camera Grip for Canon S100 and Nikon V1

This looks like an intriguing option, if the 39mm length will cover the span between the two grip lugs on the LX. The groove underneath this grip will allow it to straddle the lug. I like that this grip is low-profile, and is finished with a leatherette-like texture.

The other alternative is an ebay grip that attaches to the bottom plate of the camera.

[KIM] Best handmade Grip for Pentax LX (black) | eBay

It's handsome, I like that it is made of metal. But it's a bit of an overkill and costs as much as an original Pentax A or B grip.

Has anyone found any other options? And does anyone know what the distance is between the top and bottom grip lugs on the LX?

02-09-2012, 09:52 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

I got a used Grip B in the box for $40 on eBay last month. At that price it can look as . . . whatever . . . as it wants. There was also a NIB uncarved Grip A for $189 BIN (right) and several carved ones in the $40ish BIN from Jandjvenckus.

What are you paying for a grip? (Or what did you pay for your LX?)
02-09-2012, 11:32 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I paid $50 for my LX, and have spent a lot more than that getting it CLA'd and getting a like-new finder for it.

KEH seems to have grips in nice condition for >$100. Ebay seems to range from $60 to $120.

The FlipBac grip is $10.99 which I like
02-09-2012, 11:55 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by filmamigo Quote
I paid $50 for my LX, and have spent a lot more than that getting it CLA'd and getting a like-new finder for it.

KEH seems to have grips in nice condition for >$100. Ebay seems to range from $60 to $120.

The FlipBac grip is $10.99 which I like
The Flipback looks interesting. Grip B's show up here every now and then around $60. I'm not sure how I feel about attaching the strap to the right side lugs instead of the top lugs.

Prices sound about right but you got a deal on the LX. I paid $425 incl. FA1 Finder, original strap and lugs, the correct ER case and a recent (like 6 months) Eric CLA. Late version 3, very clean body, caps, so we're about even all-in. I haven't fitted the grip yet.

I also bought an FB-1 / FC-1 from KEH. Company is reassuring, eh?

I'm contemplating going to selling ALL my other film bodies and a lot of (what would then become) redundant mf lenses.

02-09-2012, 01:55 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Yeah, I'm thinking of doing exactly the same thing. I have been clearing out the collection slowly but I should get serious about it. I'll probably keep an MX for backup.

I figured my final all-in price for the LX was about right. I took a chance on an as-is LX at a really cheap price, because it was so new and clean. As long as it was fixable (and it was) I would have a better LX than I otherwise would have gotten.

Sounds like you've got a nice (and complete) kit put together.
02-09-2012, 02:03 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I've used the B grip, and if you like grips it is pretty good - but I learned to hold cameras LONG before grips and the flat body just feels better to me.
I still use the end lugs for the strap, as I got used the camera hanging from my shoulder that way with my Leica CL and M5, which both attach the strap on the end.
02-09-2012, 02:18 PM   #7

Yes, the Pentax grip B is ugly and too large. The other one that screws into the bottom of the camera looks better, but also looks too large to me. The wooden one that you need to give a shape yourself, hmmm, I would like to see it. Maybe I go the same way as I did with my Olympus OM1: this one had no grip, but the OM3 and OM4 did have a beautiful small grip, that screws into the side of these cameras. I showed the OM1, and the grip and an OM4 to a repairer friend (retired Leitz repairman) and he smiled and said: ' may I ' . . . it took him 10 minutes, to drill a hole in the right place, to give it a screwthread, to glew back the leather . . . and my OM1 had it's grip (picture enclosed).

I bought the grip of the Pentax Super Program with that in mind, but it does not fit around the side and front of the LX. So, all I want is to find a decent looking small grip that does fit. I also have the idea that there will be a glew that is strong enough too, I realise drilling a hole is a little drastic (my LX, mint, late model, also cost me a lot).

So, if anyone finds any small grip that fits the LX, I would love to hear . . .

For those who are cleaning out the cameras: I am looking for a K2 DMD
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
Canon EOS 350D DIGITAL  Photo 
02-09-2012, 02:21 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by filmamigo Quote
Yeah, I'm thinking of doing exactly the same thing. I have been clearing out the collection slowly but I should get serious about it. I'll probably keep an MX for backup.

I figured my final all-in price for the LX was about right. I took a chance on an as-is LX at a really cheap price, because it was so new and clean. As long as it was fixable (and it was) I would have a better LX than I otherwise would have gotten.

Sounds like you've got a nice (and complete) kit put together.
Yeah - I just stumbled across your original post when you got the LX on some other thread. Sounds like a gem! I'm really torn about the K2DMD - they're so rare - and I'll have to keep the KX, which was my college graduation present.

Shuold we coordinate our sale dates so we don't flood the Marketplace on each other?

P.S. if you had two friends you would have the perfect user names.

02-09-2012, 02:27 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Yeah - I just stumbled across your original post when you got the LX on some other thread. Sounds like a gem! I'm really torn about the K2DMD - they're so rare - and I'll have to keep the KX, which was my college graduation present.

Shuold we coordinate our sale dates so we don't flood the Marketplace on each other?

P.S. if you had two friends you would have the perfect user names.
QuoteOriginally posted by Hilo Quote
For those who are cleaning out the cameras: I am looking for a K2 DMD
Heh - you can see how I feel about that idea.

Last edited by monochrome; 02-09-2012 at 03:26 PM.
02-09-2012, 03:10 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Most of the time I leave my grip off so that the ever-ready case fits. I only use it when I think I might be using something like the K300 which unbalances the camera somewhat!

I, too, would like a K2DMD but I'm not planning to sell any of my cameras apart from a couple of extras I got in a job lot (a minty MX and a ME Super).

K.
02-09-2012, 03:27 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by womble Quote
Most of the time I leave my grip off so that the ever-ready case fits. I only use it when I think I might be using something like the K300 which unbalances the camera somewhat!

I, too, would like a K2DMD but I'm not planning to sell any of my cameras apart from a couple of extras I got in a job lot (a minty MX and a ME Super).

K.
I like that suggestion. I hadn't thought to consider the grip a removeable attachment.

You're not helping me sell the K2DMD either, but if I do I'll give you two private PM's first.<g>

Last edited by monochrome; 02-10-2012 at 08:51 AM.
02-09-2012, 04:23 PM   #12
Pentaxian

The bottom portion of the original LX eveready leather case can be used alone as a so-called "half case".
Half cases are extremely popular as a grip alternative for the rangefinder (e.g. Leica) crowd.

Chris
02-09-2012, 09:26 PM   #13
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Oh, good idea ChrisPlatt! That's how I use my Spotmatic F, with just the half case.

Now how much would an LX case be
02-09-2012, 09:47 PM   #14

Ok, I just ordered two of these FlipBack grips, nr. 1 and 4 . . . I will post pics when I got them, which will take an eternity with today's bizarre Dutch post ways (they keep packages from outside the EU for about 10 days extra, to do a 'socalled' clearing customs and charge close to 20 euros for that . . . )

The LX actually has a nice large enough space to mount these grips. Anyway, I figured there is only one way to find out . . .

Your initial post made me think it over again. Apart from that I find the grip B an ugly shiny plastic piece, it really is too large. It is true what someone said in these post: there was a life without grips once. This means to me the grip can be small. The OM grip is so minimal, but it works perfectly. Let's hope the FlipBack grips do too . . . to be continued
02-10-2012, 08:46 AM   #15
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Way to go Hilo! I look forward to seeing pictures of the result.