Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-09-2012, 04:40 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Ok, I'm pretty damn excited!

So I picked up a Super Program in the late summer thinking it would be basically a lens cap since I took it as a part of a deal getting me a screw mount 400mm f6.3 and a Pentax M 50mm f1.7
I had this sitting around with the shutter not working and the winder not being able to wind.. so after looking into it, it simply didn't have batteries in it! Perfect! So Now I'm VERY eager to get out and shoot some rolls of film with my 43Ltd on the format it was intended for! I mainly shoot landscape photography, other than wanting 100 ISO or lower, what film should i be looking for?

02-09-2012, 04:41 PM   #2

Photos: Albums
Film? Whats film?
02-09-2012, 04:45 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
It's the only way to get FF on the Pentax format.. the GIANT market segment they abandonded and are too daft to get back into.
02-09-2012, 05:06 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Very cool. I now have three lens caps that can also take film.....hmmm..... how does an SF1 work anyway?

02-09-2012, 05:16 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
hehe I have an old SF 500 as well ( in MINT, knew the owner who has had it since new.. also how I aquired my Super Takumar 28 f3.5, 55 f2 and 200 f4).. But comparing the SF500 and the K-mounted Super Program, there's not much of a choice as to which I'd rather use. Just mounting my 43Ltd to it and checking out it FoV is quite amazing.. then I threw on my 24mm Tamron Adaptall and was shocked at the barrel distortion on FF! The 28mm Super Tak does a better job... but 4mm is 4 mm! Now I'd LOVE to get a FF lens like a Pentax-M or-A 20mm (or 15/18mm) but those are pretty hard to come by for a decent price!
02-09-2012, 05:32 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Chex Quote
So Now I'm VERY eager to get out and shoot some rolls of film with my 43Ltd on the format it was intended for! I mainly shoot landscape photography, other than wanting 100 ISO or lower, what film should i be looking for?
Cool!

I'm a newbie too, but FWIW you could try some Kodak Ektar 100 which turns the colours up a bit. I like Portra 160 too, but it's more a portrait film and the colours are muted. Depends on the look you are after.

Have fun :-)
02-09-2012, 05:36 PM   #7
Veteran Member

hehe I have an old SF 500 as well ( in MINT, knew the owner who has had it since new.. also how I aquired my Super Takumar 28 f3.5, 55 f2 and 200 f4).. But comparing the SF500 and the K-mounted Super Program, there's not much of a choice as to which I'd rather use. Just mounting my 43Ltd to it and checking out it FoV is quite amazing.. then I threw on my 24mm Tamron Adaptall and was shocked at the barrel distortion on FF! The 28mm Super Tak does a better job... but 4mm is 4 mm! Now I'd LOVE to get a FF lens like a Pentax-M or-A 20mm (or 15/18mm) but those are pretty hard to come by for a decent price!
I've tried a couple of my lenses on the SF1 this evening - the focusing screen is really nice - really nice. I'm tempted to try to find a K223LA battery for it Which I just discovered is rechargeable.......

02-09-2012, 06:10 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

You are in trouble. I can see it coming. Another LBA victim in the making.
02-09-2012, 06:12 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

New technology! Awesome!
On a more serious note... Ektar 100 is great, but I also like the UC 100 and Portra 160. Still shoot more Ilford though.

Hey, just thought about it, I need to dust off my film camera's also. Need to try out my "new to me" FA 17-28 fisheye on the 35mm format.
02-09-2012, 06:19 PM   #10

Frst I'd bung some cheap colour print film through it and get it processed and check there are no issues with the shutter or anything... then, well, velvia for colour, FP4 or one of the chromagenics for b/w. The later Velvia 100 is decent, toned down from the kind of saturation y'got with Velvia 50, but very good. I have two super-programs (Super-A in the UK) and they really are super cameras. One of mine, I've had for over 20 years, the other is the same vintage, acquired as a spare. The battery will last for ages. The mirror foam gets sticky, and they eventually suffer from Pentax sticky-mirror syndrome - my original one is in need of service. I also have an LX and a couple of Nikon FM2s, which supplanted the Super-As for me, but all this generation of cameras were exquisite, I reckon, wouldn't part with any of 'em.
02-09-2012, 06:20 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
I've tried a couple of my lenses on the SF1 this evening - the focusing screen is really nice - really nice. I'm tempted to try to find a K223LA battery for it Which I just discovered is rechargeable.......
The focusing screen is the part of film cameras I miss the most. Give me a DSLR with a real prism (not mirror) and I'd be very happy!
02-09-2012, 07:45 PM   #12

I still have my Super Program that I bought new way back when. Still going strong! And I still shoot it from time to time. Love that little guy! Feels like a real camera.
Ektar is great for landscape, just don't shoot people with it. Velvia too. Or any of the B&W films from Ilford, Kodak, Fuji. They all have different looks to them, so try 'em all to see which you like best.
02-09-2012, 08:55 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Love my SuperPROGRAM. I mostly shoot B/W with mine - TMax, Tri-X, Neopan.

I call mine "Tiny"...
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K20D  Photo 
02-09-2012, 09:20 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for all the replies guys! I do prefer the saturated colors, so some of those mentioned I'll be looking into, seeing your setup Venturi makes me appreciate how nice and compact the bare body with 43 Ltd really is! I also threw on my Tamron Adaptall 60-300 SP.. it looks more natural on this old hot rod than my K-5 for sure!
Attached Images

Last edited by Chex; 02-09-2012 at 09:44 PM.
02-09-2012, 10:33 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks for all the replies guys! I do prefer the saturated colors, so some of those mentioned I'll be looking into, seeing your setup Venturi makes me appreciate how nice and compact the bare body with 43 Ltd really is! I also threw on my Tamron Adaptall 60-300 SP.. it looks more natural on this old hot rod than my K-5 for sure!
The FA43/1.9 is great on film, a perfect FL. In addition to the other film mentioned try Kodak Ektachrome E100G, it is very similar to Kodachrome.

Phil.