Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-13-2012, 01:54 PM   #16
New Member




Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: chicago, illinois, USA
Posts: 23
Thanks for this; the Preston Cook link was the one I couldn't seem to get to.

Bob Palmieri

02-13-2012, 04:52 PM   #17
Site Supporter
gofour3's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Vancouver, Canada
Posts: 5,124
QuoteOriginally posted by snapwell Quote
While we're talking about these things... I've been trying to get to the bottom of some Spotmatic II Motor Drive issues.

I have one of these (in fact, the one you see on the Forum page is my unit) and am about to go through the battery handle/motor drive section before applying power. Does anyone know of any service data available for these things? Also, I could use a definitive key to the differences between Versions I & II, etc.

In addition, I noticed that mine has a mirror lockup. The data lists this camera as not having had one of these as standard, but you'd think that it would have been a normal feature of such a camera, considering the blazing-fast 2-3 FPS transport. Anyone know about this?

Bob Palmieri
The mirror lock-up on a Spotmatic was a Honeywell USA modification. It was not done in the Pentax factory. Honeywell also did camera engraving and focusing screen changes.

Phil.
02-13-2012, 05:09 PM   #18
New Member




Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: chicago, illinois, USA
Posts: 23
Thanks, Phil!

This makes sense, seeing as how they did this for the other non-MD cameras. It just seems like it's a feature that one would really want on a motor driven camera of that era.

So, I guess what I'm wondering is if the US importer just did this mod as a matter of course for the MD cameras.

Anyone have a Honeywell Pentax Spotmatic II Motor Drive camera without a mirror lock?
02-13-2012, 05:32 PM   #19
Senior Member




Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Photos: Albums
Posts: 212
QuoteOriginally posted by snapwell Quote
Thanks, Phil!
Anyone have a Honeywell Pentax Spotmatic II Motor Drive camera without a mirror lock?
Yes. I have both an Asahi Pentax SP II Motor Drive and a Honeywell Pentax SP II Motor Drive and while there are a lot of minor differences between them, neither has mirror lock up

02-13-2012, 08:32 PM   #20
New Member




Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: chicago, illinois, USA
Posts: 23
QuoteOriginally posted by Paul Ewins Quote
Yes. I have both an Asahi Pentax SP II Motor Drive and a Honeywell Pentax SP II Motor Drive and while there are a lot of minor differences between them, neither has mirror lock up
Now that's what I call Definitive Evidence.
02-13-2012, 11:00 PM   #21
Site Supporter
gofour3's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Vancouver, Canada
Posts: 5,124
QuoteOriginally posted by snapwell Quote
Thanks, Phil!

This makes sense, seeing as how they did this for the other non-MD cameras. It just seems like it's a feature that one would really want on a motor driven camera of that era.

So, I guess what I'm wondering is if the US importer just did this mod as a matter of course for the MD cameras.

Anyone have a Honeywell Pentax Spotmatic II Motor Drive camera without a mirror lock?
I have a Honeywell book from August, 1975 and it indicates the MLU mod is available for:

Pentax Spotmatic II, IIa and SP500 for $40.00

Pentax Spotmatic F for $50.00

It was for any Spotmatic body, including MDs.

Phil.
02-13-2012, 11:03 PM   #22
Pentaxian
jsherman999's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2007
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 8,228
Interesting - that camera store is only a few miles from my house. Maybe I should go down there and give it a whirl
02-14-2012, 08:57 PM   #23
New Member




Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: chicago, illinois, USA
Posts: 23
Do report back if you do.

Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:09 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top