Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-13-2012, 01:54 PM   #16

Thanks for this; the Preston Cook link was the one I couldn't seem to get to.

Bob Palmieri

02-13-2012, 04:52 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by snapwell Quote
While we're talking about these things... I've been trying to get to the bottom of some Spotmatic II Motor Drive issues.

I have one of these (in fact, the one you see on the Forum page is my unit) and am about to go through the battery handle/motor drive section before applying power. Does anyone know of any service data available for these things? Also, I could use a definitive key to the differences between Versions I & II, etc.

In addition, I noticed that mine has a mirror lockup. The data lists this camera as not having had one of these as standard, but you'd think that it would have been a normal feature of such a camera, considering the blazing-fast 2-3 FPS transport. Anyone know about this?

Bob Palmieri
The mirror lock-up on a Spotmatic was a Honeywell USA modification. It was not done in the Pentax factory. Honeywell also did camera engraving and focusing screen changes.

Phil.
02-13-2012, 05:09 PM   #18

Thanks, Phil!

This makes sense, seeing as how they did this for the other non-MD cameras. It just seems like it's a feature that one would really want on a motor driven camera of that era.

So, I guess what I'm wondering is if the US importer just did this mod as a matter of course for the MD cameras.

Anyone have a Honeywell Pentax Spotmatic II Motor Drive camera without a mirror lock?
02-13-2012, 05:32 PM   #19

Photos: Albums
Thanks, Phil!
Anyone have a Honeywell Pentax Spotmatic II Motor Drive camera without a mirror lock?
Yes. I have both an Asahi Pentax SP II Motor Drive and a Honeywell Pentax SP II Motor Drive and while there are a lot of minor differences between them, neither has mirror lock up

02-13-2012, 08:32 PM   #20

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul Ewins Quote
Yes. I have both an Asahi Pentax SP II Motor Drive and a Honeywell Pentax SP II Motor Drive and while there are a lot of minor differences between them, neither has mirror lock up
Now that's what I call Definitive Evidence.
02-13-2012, 11:00 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks, Phil!

This makes sense, seeing as how they did this for the other non-MD cameras. It just seems like it's a feature that one would really want on a motor driven camera of that era.

So, I guess what I'm wondering is if the US importer just did this mod as a matter of course for the MD cameras.

I have a Honeywell book from August, 1975 and it indicates the MLU mod is available for:

Pentax Spotmatic II, IIa and SP500 for $40.00

Pentax Spotmatic F for $50.00

It was for any Spotmatic body, including MDs.

Phil.
02-13-2012, 11:03 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Interesting - that camera store is only a few miles from my house. Maybe I should go down there and give it a whirl

02-14-2012, 08:57 PM   #23

Do report back if you do.