03-01-2012, 02:38 AM   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Another Ektar shot.

K.

03-01-2012, 11:46 AM   #32
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

So much for Kodak continuing to support film. They just discontinued their entire line of slide film today. Thanks guys!

KODAK PROFESSIONAL Color Reversal Films

Phil
03-01-2012, 12:03 PM   #33
Pentaxian

Flippen' heck.
03-01-2012, 12:27 PM   #34
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by womble Quote
Flippen' heck.
Yeah it’s a sad day when Kodak stops making reversal film of any kind. That’s what made them famous! I suspect we have not seen the end of film culling at Kodak. I wouldn’t be surprised to see their consumer print film also get nuked.

Phil.

03-01-2012, 01:08 PM   #35
Banned

as long as portra still exists, I'm ok.
03-01-2012, 01:24 PM   #36
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
It makes senses actually as I believe Kodak was positioning Ektar as the slide replacement in terms of grain and vivid color. Certainly exceeds all slide film in terms of latitude and obviously convenience. Prior to that I was hoping that Kodak 100UC was going to be Velvia in C41 based on their examples at the Las Vegas PMA back when. Portra 160 and 400 are unprecedented films so their C41 offering is very modern and capable and hopefully sustainable. IMO, to round out their portfolio, I hope they add an Ektar 400 and possibly a Portra 1600.

Of course TMAX 100 is simply an awesome b&w with unbelievable range of use in terms of pushing and pulling.
03-01-2012, 01:55 PM   #37
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
as long as portra still exists, I'm ok.
Asahi Pentax SV - Carl Zeiss Planar T* 1,4/50 ZS
What mount is this Zeiss 50/1.4 ZS lens you have in your signature?

03-01-2012, 02:09 PM   #38
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
What mount is this Zeiss 50/1.4 ZS lens you have in your signature?
it is m42 mount.
03-01-2012, 08:08 PM   #39
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by LesDMess Quote
It makes senses actually as I believe Kodak was positioning Ektar as the slide replacement in terms of grain and vivid color. Certainly exceeds all slide film in terms of latitude and obviously convenience. Prior to that I was hoping that Kodak 100UC was going to be Velvia in C41 based on their examples at the Las Vegas PMA back when. Portra 160 and 400 are unprecedented films so their C41 offering is very modern and capable and hopefully sustainable. IMO, to round out their portfolio, I hope they add an Ektar 400 and possibly a Portra 1600.

Of course TMAX 100 is simply an awesome b&w with unbelievable range of use in terms of pushing and pulling.
Yes and no.

While Ektar may be a substitute for the modern vivid/saturated colour slide films like Ektachrome VS/Elitechrome Extra Colour, it’s no replacement for E100G. E100G has more detailed and correct colours than Ektar and is more like the traditional Kodak transparencies. Portra 160 would be closer to E100G.

Like Kodachrome, Ektachrome E100G is also better for achievability and is rated for image stability greater than 80 years. The vivid films like Ektar will not last that long.

Phil.
03-01-2012, 09:53 PM   #40
Pentaxian

This seemed the path Kodak was preparing for at the time of Ektar's release and can be found at KODAK PROFESSIONAL EKTAR 100 Film: Questions and Answers
It stated, "It sounds like EKTAR 100 Film might be an alternative to high color reversal films? Exactly. And that’s important as E-6 processing becomes less readily available."

BTW, I am renew to film (since 2002) but I believe Kodak E100G/GX was first released about that time and believe it too replaced something else but don't recall which.

The biggest problem I see with the discontinuance of slide is that Kodak itself states there is no standard for scanning of C41 but yet state these films are great for scanning - whatever that means. For instance I read the reviews of Kodak Ektar 100 on Shutterbug magazine and even those "experts" got it wrong in every point. In other boards, I always see the seemingly poor interpretation of Kodak Ektar not only by newbies but others that were seemingly long time film users. Kodak Ektar is an awesome film but if people can't realize the results it won't be successful. Perhaps Kodak can reintroduce scanners too?
03-02-2012, 08:49 AM   #41
Pentaxian

The biggest problem I see with the discontinuance of slide is that Kodak itself states there is no standard for scanning of C41 but yet state these films are great for scanning - whatever that means.
I wrote Kodak asking if was possible they could make Q60 (their version of IT8) target profiles for scanning their color negative film. I got the usual we'll look into it thing. But any effort on their part to help people digitize film easier and better would be good for their business, I'd think.

Last edited by tuco; 03-02-2012 at 11:19 AM.
03-02-2012, 09:28 AM   #42
Pentaxian

I understand Kodak has put out some competent scanners in the past. At one point they even tried a kiosk that would process your film just enough to scan then give you a CDROM only - your film apparently stays in the kiosk for disposal. I believe they may tried this in the Chicago area at the same time they released the Kodak Portra 100UC (renamed 100UC) and I never got to try it. I have a Coolscan and as good as that is I would not destroy my film after I scan it. There were a few rolls that I have thrown out after seeing the results from scans but those were just test rolls to begin with.
03-02-2012, 11:06 AM   #43
Banned

I understand Kodak has put out some competent scanners in the past. At one point they even tried a kiosk that would process your film just enough to scan then give you a CDROM only - your film apparently stays in the kiosk for disposal. I believe they may tried this in the Chicago area at the same time they released the Kodak Portra 100UC (renamed 100UC) and I never got to try it. I have a Coolscan and as good as that is I would not destroy my film after I scan it. There were a few rolls that I have thrown out after seeing the results from scans but those were just test rolls to begin with.
that whole idea makes no sense. why in the world would anyone throw away their negatives?
03-02-2012, 02:18 PM   #44
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
that whole idea makes no sense. why in the world would anyone throw away their negatives?
Non-photographers often do. A friend of mine used to go through her enprints, mount the ones she liked in an album, then binned everything else, negs and extra prints. If later she wanted more prints she got them made from the surviving print, not the neg. Now she has "gone digital" she does essentially the same thing: prints the photos she likes direct from the memory card and then wipes the card.

Sometimes we forget that for most people the snapshot is all they want.

K.
03-02-2012, 03:23 PM   #45
Pentaxian

I understand the kiosk idea allows processing and scanning cut down to about ten of minutes. I understand that some processing steps were cut out of it so returning the film to you would not have been worthwhile. I would have tried it just to see how good it was. Of course a bad scan leaves you no choice to rescan. Seemed pretty daring to me given all the assumptions the machine had to make.