Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-11-2012, 08:33 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Kodak Interview - Don't sell your film cameras yet!

Some interesting statements from Kodak:
Kodak phases out digital businesses, keeps film alive - British Journal of Photography

Of particular news it says:
However, the firm has moved to reassure film photographers. "Kodak's continuing consumer products and services will include the traditional film capture and photographic paper business, which continues to provide high-quality and innovative products and solutions to consumers, photographers, retailers, photofinishers and professional labs," it says in a statement.

02-11-2012, 08:50 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Kodak source for this is at Kodak Focuses Consumer Business On More Profitable Growth Opportunities

I had no intention of selling my film cameras anytime soon either as I am still in the growth stage . . .
02-11-2012, 08:53 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Intersting. I love film and this is reassuring.
However, isn't Kodak the supplier of the 645D sensor?
02-11-2012, 09:01 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ismaelg Quote
Intersting. I love film and this is reassuring.
However, isn't Kodak the supplier of the 645D sensor?
That division was sold to a private equity firm last year.

02-11-2012, 10:52 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Good news and a good move by Kodak. Stick to film which is something they have been a leader in for decades and still have many loyal customers. Though it has been a frustrating period the last few years with the various films Kodak has discontinued.

Phil.
02-11-2012, 11:10 PM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
frustrating period the last few years with the various films Kodak has discontinued.
...and encouraging in light of the new products that have debuted. Films like Ektar 100 don't come around all that often.

Steve
02-12-2012, 06:56 AM   #7
Banned

certainly nice news as I'm getting ready to purchase a stock of Portra for my up coming trip. but it was to be expected really, as everyone already knew that the film side of the business was still turning profits. and at the cost of film, I'm not surprised!

02-12-2012, 09:44 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

More encouraging news for film lovers

A Fuji spokesman says that film is still profitable for them, too:

Link here

Chris

Last edited by ChrisPlatt; 02-12-2012 at 09:55 AM.
02-12-2012, 10:05 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
...and encouraging in light of the new products that have debuted. Films like Ektar 100 don't come around all that often.

Steve
Yes Ektar was a step in the right direction. As long as Kodak keeps Ektracrome E100G going I’ll be happy, it’s the best slide film that I have used since Kodachrome. Kodak had cut Ektacrome down from four versions to only two, E100G and E100VS. They also did the same to the Elitechrome line of film.

Phil.
02-12-2012, 10:23 AM   #10
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
A Fuji spokesman says that film is still profitable for them, too:

Link here

Chris
well I wish they would stop discontinuing films then! fuji has a pretty limited selection now, and all the ones they've discontinued are disappearing fast off of shelves, whats left at least. Ive had to turn to Ilford for readily available high speed B&W. if its profitable, can I please have neopan 1600 back? please, fuji?
02-12-2012, 07:01 PM   #11

I think that black and white in particular will continue production for some time to come.

I hope freestyle is still able to get arista premium from Kodak. I love it and it's reportedly sourced from Kodak.

In any case, I plan on getting more film camera's in the future.

I still want to get the Pentax MZ-S, but am currently saving for a voigtlander rangefinder.

This all began with a Program Plus I received a year and a half ago, and now my apartment always smells of stop bath.
02-13-2012, 05:47 AM   #12
Pentaxian

That is good news. I wish they would start making BW400CN in 120 rolls again though. I love that stuff in 35mm.

I add my voice to the call for Fuji to bring back Neopan 1600. I only shot one roll before they stopped making it but rather liked the results!

K.
02-13-2012, 10:17 AM   #13
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by dj_saunter Quote
I think that black and white in particular will continue production for some time to come.

I hope freestyle is still able to get arista premium from Kodak. I love it and it's reportedly sourced from Kodak.

In any case, I plan on getting more film camera's in the future.

I still want to get the Pentax MZ-S, but am currently saving for a voigtlander rangefinder.

This all began with a Program Plus I received a year and a half ago, and now my apartment always smells of stop bath.
what model are you looking for? I have a Bessa R3a that I'm looking to sell.
02-13-2012, 11:49 AM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by womble Quote
That is good news. I wish they would start making BW400CN in 120 rolls again though. I love that stuff in 35mm.
Amen. Kodak BW400CN was my absolute favourite B&W film in 120 rolls. Astonishing tonality, huge dynamic range, virtually grain-free.... and developed+scanned in an hour!

I have been looking for a replacement in 120 since it was cancelled, and still haven't found anything (I really hate the look of XP2, it has a completely different curve.)
02-13-2012, 11:50 AM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by womble Quote

I add my voice to the call for Fuji to bring back Neopan 1600. I only shot one roll before they stopped making it but rather liked the results!

K.
You can still buy Neopan 1600 in the UK but the price has shot up in recent weeks from £5 to almost £7 a roll. Perhaps Fuji are cashing in on the "last of the stock" and will then start production again