Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-13-2012, 07:33 AM   #1
Forum Member

S1a problems

i've seen a S1a for £9 although it does have some problems. this is the discription: The camera has been standing in damp conditions for years and the back door hinge is stuck,the shutter button and winder do not work,top knob off,small dink to the top of the prism housing,needs a dam good clean etc etc. I was wondering if its worth buying it and doing a DIY job? what do you all think?

02-13-2012, 08:16 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Sounds like a better parts body than candidate for restoring. I don't know what the supply situation is there, but in the US I've picked up a few very nice H1a and SV cameras in the $35 USD range that looked new and worked fine. Doing a DIY on these makes more sense to me: replace the foam and CLA the bearings, etc.
It can be a pain to open a poorly stored camera and find rusty and damged parts that never clean up well.
02-13-2012, 08:36 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Hayob Quote
The camera has been standing in damp conditions for years and the back door hinge is stuck,the shutter button and winder do not work,top knob off,small dink to the top of the prism housing,needs a dam good clean etc etc. what do you all think?
I think they should pay you £9 to take it.
02-13-2012, 05:56 PM   #4
Giveaway winner!

Photos: Albums
Are you looking to do the diy of the S1a just as an educational project? It is one of the easier SLR bodies to take apart as it has few wires and no meter. Damp environments are not as bad as water damage so that is a factor in your project. If you have corrosion that causes pitting is not as bad as straight out loss of details to parts or loss of strength. The manuals are out there and the thing to make sure is that all screws are not forced... if the chrome is gone from the outer screws on the bottom shell, then you may have to worry about the screws being seized... well, all depends on what you are looking to do?

02-14-2012, 05:52 AM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks for replies everyone, i was hoping to do it for an educational purpose but if i could get it working then that would be even better, Also could anyone link me a dissassembly manual? i cant seem to find one

Last edited by Hayob; 02-14-2012 at 06:07 AM.
02-14-2012, 06:25 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Hayob Quote
i've seen a S1a for £9 although it does have some problems. this is the discription: The camera has been standing in damp conditions for years and the back door hinge is stuck,the shutter button and winder do not work,top knob off,small dink to the top of the prism housing,needs a dam good clean etc etc. I was wondering if its worth buying it and doing a DIY job? what do you all think?
If you are that into self flagellation, there are better ways to do it. If the camera has been sitting damp for "years", then there will be enough internal corrosion to make disassembly impossible and forget any chance of repair.
Film cameras are a dime a dozen now, get something that hasn't been abused if you want to play.