Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-13-2012, 11:16 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
R.i.p. K1000 :(

Hello everyone! Although I rarely ever post here, I do read and attempt to learn from so many of you guys. I hope I can get some advice on this.

My dear K1000 has developed a fault in which every time I wind the film, the mirror flips upward which prevents me from properly framing my images. I have tried

composing then winding and shooting, but anything gets you out of focus when shooting the 50mm at 1.4.

It does not occur 100% of the time, but a good 85% maybe. I have no experience in attempting to repair a camera, so which would be the best way to go here?

I would like to keep using my K1000 if possible. Any thoughts on this greatly appreciated...

02-14-2012, 12:26 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Send it to Eric.

Home
02-14-2012, 12:32 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks for the link! Is he as good as he sounds?
02-14-2012, 12:50 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Yehoyaqim Quote
I don't think you'll find anyone here who doesn't think so.

02-14-2012, 03:44 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Yehoyaqim Quote
Better! .....

02-14-2012, 05:16 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have never heard a bed word about his work.
02-14-2012, 05:28 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Best in the business and fair.

02-14-2012, 06:25 AM   #8
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by LesDMess Quote
Best in the business and fair.
indeed. best in the business.
02-14-2012, 07:03 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Joaquin, I see you're a mechanic. You might be able to do the repair yourself. In your place I would first look around the web for some info, it might be a simple repair in the end.
Matt's Classic Cameras: Repair Tips
Viewfinder - FixYa
The Classic Camera Repair Forum: Pentax K1000 stuck
http://www.pentax-manuals.com/markroberts/k1000_man.pdf
02-14-2012, 08:16 AM   #10

He is fantastic. He even rush ordered me an ME Super CLA before christmas on trust - I hadn't left an email or phone number for him to get a hold of me with the estimate, and timeframe with the rush request didn't afford him time to send a post letter. He did it on my request and trust that I would pay him after.

I did, plus a little extra. You don't often get service like Eric provides anymore.
02-14-2012, 11:30 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It's hard to put in a mild word of caution against a figure the community here treats as a camera-demiurge, but I'll do so for the sake of perspective.

I have found that while Mr. Henderson's work is technically flawless, he takes rather longer to do it than advertised. Also, at least from where I stand, e-mail exchanges were a little slow and somewhat non-responsive. This despite the fact that in my repair order, for a camera and lens together, I did everything his web site asks for to the letter.

Bottom line about Mr. Henderson's work. Expect it to take a month for this simplest of adjustments. Expect it to cost a bit more than expected. Expect the camera to look and perform like new when it does come back.

Of course, you could luck out and have your expectations surpassed. Then all is good.
02-14-2012, 12:45 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I've only had one of several cameras take longer than 2 weeks by Eric. That one I had mis-printed my email address, so I didn't get his estimate in order to give a go-ahead and PayPal payment.
02-14-2012, 01:25 PM   #13
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by asaru Quote
I have found that while Mr. Henderson's work is technically flawless, he takes rather longer to do it than advertised. Also, at least from where I stand, e-mail exchanges were a little slow and somewhat non-responsive. This despite the fact that in my repair order, for a camera and lens together, I did everything his web site asks for to the letter.
Not my experience. A little over two weeks for a full CLA and minor repair on a KX.

Steve
02-14-2012, 03:54 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've had well over ten Pentax bodies and perhaps a half dozen lenses serviced by Eric Hendrickson.
Almost invariably I have had them back within two weeks of sending them to him.

As mentioned his work is excellent. IMO Eric is a irreplaceable asset to the Pentax community.

Chris

Last edited by ChrisPlatt; 02-14-2012 at 06:36 PM.
02-14-2012, 06:01 PM   #15
Veteran Member

@Yehoyaqim...my K1000 was just recently CLA'd by Eric Hendrickson. AFAIK, he is a one man shop, and his turnaround time will depend on workload. Given a choice between an unknown and a service recommended by many in this forum, I chose the recommended guy.

Here's a play-by-play of that transaction:
January 11th - emailed Eric to indicate my intent to send the body to him for CLA
January 12th - email reply from Eric indicating he could do the work (not timeline given)
January 13th - shipped the body to Eric via FedEx two-day
January 16th - email received from Eric with estimate for CLA
January 16th - paid invoice via PayPal
February 4rd - Received body from Eric via USPS

Based upon my experience and the comments of others, I would expect that asaru's results are, unfortunately for him, the exception to the rule.