Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-15-2012, 05:34 PM   #1

Spotmatic 2 mirror cleaning - any advice? SUCCESS

Hello,

My mirror felt shock absorber has turned to jam and is stuck lots of goo to the mirror.

I know it is sensitive but I would like to know who has tried to clean their mirror and did it end in disaster or can it be done carefully.

I have the nice new seals from Jon Goodman but before I install them I would like to attach that mirror.

Note that am fairly comfortable with technical jobs, lens and shutter repairs etc etc.

Best regards

Brett

Last edited by bmf; 02-18-2012 at 07:03 PM.
02-15-2012, 10:36 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My standard answer is to leave that sort of cleaning to the pros. The mirror surface is very fragile by nature and may be even more so with age. Every scratch degrades the image in the viewfinder. I would see if a local camera repair can swab the mirror clean for you.

Steve
02-18-2012, 07:02 PM   #3
bmf

Original Poster
Update- SUCCESS

Thanks for the advice Steve but I was hard headed and went with Jon Goodmans steps and attacked the mirror with alcohol and pec pads letting the alcohol do the work and the pec pads do the very gentle lifting after a few minutes of soaking- it worked famously. My mirror is now sparkling. I replaced all the light seals and the camera shock absorbing foam at the same time (thanks Jon) and my Spotmatic II now looks good as new!

Now for some photography!!

Brett
02-18-2012, 08:57 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Glad you found a low-cost solution! If Jon Goodman says this is how it is done, then that is good enough for me! Jon is a great guy and knows what he is talking about.

Steve

02-18-2012, 09:13 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

Glad I found this thread! I'm in the same exact situation (Spot II, rotten foam, dirty mirror, seal kit coming from Jon) I'll be giving it a try myself soon. Thanks for passing on the info!

Last edited by paulh; 02-19-2012 at 07:20 AM.
02-19-2012, 01:09 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Jon Goodman to the rescue again. Top guy.