Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-17-2012, 11:07 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
And 1 more question for now: I'm finding several PZ10/20/70s for between 20-45 bucks by cant find any information on these bodies. What's the difference in them?

02-18-2012, 01:37 AM   #17
Pentaxian

a lot of technical info and reviews: Autofocus Film SLRs - Pentax Film Cameras - Pentax Camera Database and Reviews - DSLR, Digital, and Legacy Cameras
here's a huge list of K mount bodies and specs: Other brands with K-mount
02-18-2012, 01:49 AM   #18
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jbuck92 Quote
Those aren't a necessity for me Pablom. I just saw a Ricoh KR-10. How's that body?
I never handled that particular model but It looks like a typical 1980's full manual, sturdy body. you probably can't go much wrong with it, but I wouldn't know from personal experience.
02-18-2012, 01:56 AM   #19
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Jon, for ease of use, and learning the basics of photography, I would recommend the K1000, a sturdy old workhorse. After 32 years, I still carry mine around, with my K-x

02-18-2012, 02:47 AM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by altopiet Quote
Jon, for ease of use, and learning the basics of photography, I would recommend the K1000, a sturdy old workhorse. After 32 years, I still carry mine around, with my K-x
+1 for the K1000
02-18-2012, 06:35 AM   #21
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Pablom Quote
the good Pentax bodies usually cost more than $15-$50.
I picked my ZX-7 up about 6 months ago for $35 at KEH E condition. The P30t was $15 on e-bay. so they are available in his price range. They are not spotmatics but they are still good bodies .
I would also recommend checking out the camera reviews here to learn more about bodies You are interested in.There is a large amount of info there along with reviews of the different bodies.
02-18-2012, 08:24 AM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jbuck92 Quote
And 1 more question for now: I'm finding several PZ10/20/70s for between 20-45 bucks by cant find any information on these bodies. What's the difference in them?
As far as I know there are few differences amongst the PZ10, PZ20 and PZ70, although now I check, the PZ10 does not offer control of DA lenses. The PZ70 has a plastic lens mount - I think that's pretty much the only other difference. My PZ70 cost me about $16.

MZ6 and MZ7 have similar full forwards and backwards lens compatibility, and are a little smaller and more 'classic' looking - but they tend to be slightly more expensive as a result.

Here is a full list of Pentax lens and body compatibility - The Pentax Camera Lens Compatibility Chart

The ones with full lens compatibility, offering actual control of DA lenses rather than merely a 'program' mode where the camera decides the aperture for you, and also with full usability with M and K lenses, are as follows.

Super A, Super Program *
SFX, SF1, SF7, SF10, SFXn, SF1n *
Z-1p, PZ-1p, Z-1, PZ-1
Z-5p, Z-5
Z-20, PZ-20, Z-50p, Z-70, PZ-70
MZ-S *
MZ-M, ZX-M *

MZ-3, MZ-5, ZX-5, MZ-5n, ZX-5n, MZ-10, ZX-10
MZ-6, MZ-L, ZX-L, MZ-7, ZX-7

* control of DA lenses in Tv mode only

Of the cameras on the list, the Super A / Super Program is the only one really resembling a classic, metal bodied manual focus film camera. It also has a really nice viewfinder. Be careful though, the older metal bodies may need new light seals, especially if bought cheap from ebay. The plastic bodies do not have this problem as they do not have foam light seals.
02-18-2012, 08:46 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Great thanks everyone. I'll probably snag a PZ70 then or look into the k1000. I already have a K-r that I've been using for a few months to learn what all the settings do.

02-18-2012, 09:17 AM   #24
Pentaxian

A Pentax PX-series will offer you the greatest combination of versatility and useability if you're coming from a DSLR. Me, I learned on a K1000 before I bought my first DSLR and it did me a world of good.

Also, don't forget if you buy a film lens, it will work great on your K-R, so if you get tired of your kit lenses vignetting on full-frame, there are thousands of cheap Pentax film lenses out there. Also, your Super Tak will work on any K-mount body, film or digital, in stop-down metering mode in Manual or Av.

I know you're looking in the $50 and under range, and there are a ton of great manual and autofocus cameras in that range:

Manual Focus, Manual Aperture cameras that can be bought all day for under $50 include the ME, MV, MG, MV-1, ME Super, and K1000.

A great manual focus, auto or manual aperture camera is the Program Plus or the ZX-M.

YOu can also get the cheaper MZ/PZ series SLRS for that kinda money.

However, if you can save up a bit...there's a couple really excellent film bodies that may even give your K-r a run for its money!

Manual focus, manual aperture cameras you should consider spending real money on:

Pentax KX: The first one. A Mid-seventies manual-everything SLR, a step up from the venerable K1000.
Pentax MX: A tiny, all-mechanical SLR with interchangeable focusing screens. Mine is one of my favorite cameras.
Pentax K2: An early, auto-exposure SLR. Very reliable and well rated.
Pentax LX: The first, last, and only word in Pentax film cameras. Interchangeable viewfinders, interchangeable focusing screens, available data backs, bulk film backs, winder and motor drive. Weather-sealed, stepless automatic shutter curtain, and magically accurate off-the-film-plane metering. The best manual-focus film SLR of all time. These are VERY expensive for a good copy, but so, so worth it.

Manual Focus, Auto Aperture cameras:

The Super Program is the only one I can think of. It's a compact, fairly lightweight, classic chrome-and-leather SLR. It's super-comfortable to hold and has the most simplistic and wonderful controls of any SLR I've ever handled. All cameras SHOULD work like this. On top of that, it has exposure info in the finder and aperture preview on manual lenses, plus TTL flash metering.

Autofocus, Auto-aperture cameras:

Pentax PZ-1/PZ-1p: A motor-driven SLR with great features. This camera is the genesis of pentax's famous "Hyper-Program" shooting mode, has an offset flash shoe, a built-in AF spotbeam in the pop-up flash, it fits the hand amazingly well, and it has the highest flash sync speed and top shutter speed of ANY pentax SLR to date: 1/250 sync and 1/8000 top speed. Plus, it has interval shooting mode, interchangeable screens and a generally wonderful view through the finder. The PZ-1p is more expensive of the two, but has a slightly higher continuous framerate and "Panorama" mode. I would go with the PZ-1 to save money. Also, this is a bit nerdy of me, but I think the PZ-1 has the most pleasing sound of any Film SLR. It makes this awesome, semi-quiet click-zrrrrk, an authoritative and definitive automatic 35mm camera sound.

Pentax *ist: The very last film SLR pentax made is also the smallest autofocus 35mm SLR ever. The *ist is a tiny, adorable little silver SLR. It's lightweight and very, very small, but it also has a ton of features: Scene and Automatic modes, pop-up flash, an available battery grip, P-TTL flash metering, center/spot/average metering, continuous shooting, auto-bracketing and multi-exposure. It's the closest to a Pentax Digital SLR that takes film you can get, and they are fun to use. The only drawbacks are that a lens has to have an A on the aperture ring and be set there, or the *ist won't fire at all, and the VF is a little squinty.
02-18-2012, 09:49 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Wow thanks for the info unix! I did not know any of that information. I'm perfectly fine with something that is fully auto (honestly, I find myself using my K-r in mostly manual as well!). I did find a few really good deals on ebay with the k1000 that includes a few good lenses. Now I definitely have some decisions to make with which body I would rather get!
02-18-2012, 10:38 AM   #26

If You are looking for a nice lightweight walkaround AF film slr that accepts all DA/FA/K pentax lenses look at zx-l (mz-6) 1/4000 shutter is handy sometimes and AF is really not bad got mine on ebay for 30$ or build like a tank Z-1P but it costs more
02-18-2012, 10:59 AM   #27
Site Supporter

RE: Ricoh KR-10

Ricoh bodies from the late 1970s through the 1980s are an excellent value and are equivalent (in my mind anyway) to most Pentax product of the same vintage. It is mostly a matter of price and features to determine the best camera for your needs. The KR-10 is a decent body and is equivalent to a Pentax ME Super in regards to most features (KR-10 does not have 1/2000s shutter or power winder support).

If you are curious about a particular body, the Butkus site is a great resource. He has user manuals for just about everything (donations accepted). Here is the link to the KR-10:

ricoh kr-10 users manual, sears KSX

Steve

BTW...I own both a Ricoh XR-2s and Ricoh XR7 and can strongly recommend both bodies as an alternative to the Pentax product. In fact, I purchased my first XR7 in preference to a ME Super back-in-the-day. I would caution, however, that no Ricoh camera supports P or Sv modes with Pentax "A" contact lenses.