Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-28-2012, 11:07 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
@Julie - Maybe he was hoping for one of these: Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 Digital Camera (White) DMC-LX5W B&H

I'm pretty sure all of my cameras are either black or silver (or both) at the moment - I don't feel like pulling them all out to do a census. I do have a stack of brightly coloured kid leather samples in the closet that I picked up to re-cover several of my film bodies when time allows.

02-29-2012, 08:00 AM   #17
Veteran Member

On a recent business trip to Thailand I took along my Bronica C and it got lots of attention. Right off the bat during boarding another passenger gets a big smile on his face and says, "Nice camera! What is it?". I say "It's a Bronica C" and he mentions how beautiful it is, commenting that it looks like a Hassy. Then he says about the Hassy, "I have one in my bag right here" pointing to his back pack. To which I was tempted to respond, "And that's why you're in first class and I'm in economy!" but held my tongue and just said, "Cool!" and gave him a big smile.
02-29-2012, 08:14 AM   #18

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Julie Quote
where I got it, and how many megapixels it had.
I had this same question asked and received a strange look when jokingly answered anywhere around 20-30 megapixels. [ Don't take my word on the megapixel count as I don't know what the equivalent pixel count vs. 35mm film. I'm sure the count would differ with the film ISO/ASA/DIN. ]
02-29-2012, 10:04 AM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by revdocjim Quote
On a recent business trip to Thailand I took along my Bronica C and it got lots of attention. Right off the bat during boarding another passenger gets a big smile on his face and says, "Nice camera! What is it?". I say "It's a Bronica C" and he mentions how beautiful it is, commenting that it looks like a Hassy. Then he says about the Hassy, "I have one in my bag right here" pointing to his back pack. To which I was tempted to respond, "And that's why you're in first class and I'm in economy!" but held my tongue and just said, "Cool!" and gave him a big smile.
Heehee.

Though, actually I've considered that an older Hassie might be a viable alternative to my Mamiya 645, (An old 1000s: it's the chrome that makes people think Hassie, apparently) At least when there was a bit of a glut on the used MF market, it could have served the purposes I had in mind pretty well for not *that* much more. I'm kind of attached to the 110mm lens I've got there, and the fast 80mm you *can* get, but like one primo lens and a 45 degree finder would be pretty good for me.

It's funny in general how quickly people have forgotten about *film,* though.

02-29-2012, 02:09 PM   #20
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kaufeetime Quote
equivalent pixel count vs. 35mm film
The number at 4000 dpi (Nikon 5000 ED) is about 24 megapixels. With the Epson V700 (2400 dpi), the number is about 8.5 megapixels.

Steve
02-29-2012, 02:18 PM   #21
Veteran Member

My fave thing with film cameras is after taking someones pic, they ask if they can see it lol
When you then say they cant.... they think your lying and you can see them trying to see the veiwer on the back hehe
03-02-2012, 05:14 PM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by westmill Quote
My fave thing with film cameras is after taking someones pic, they ask if they can see it lol
When you then say they cant.... they think your lying and you can see them trying to see the veiwer on the back hehe
When taking pictures I often run into tourists who ask "Are you getting some good pictures?". When I say, "Well, I hope so" they look at me like there's something the matter with me, like, You mean you can't tell?
I need a better reply.

03-02-2012, 05:52 PM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Alliecat Quote
I need a better reply.
I usually tell people that I'll know how my photos turned out in a month or two.

It isn't worth the drive to the developer until I have several rolls to drop off.
03-02-2012, 08:16 PM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Alliecat Quote
I need a better reply.
"Won't know until I consult the chemicals." might be a tad misleading...
03-02-2012, 09:36 PM   #25

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
The number at 4000 dpi (Nikon 5000 ED) is about 24 megapixels. With the Epson V700 (2400 dpi), the number is about 8.5 megapixels.
How about when your using an enlarger?
03-02-2012, 09:39 PM   #26

QuoteOriginally posted by Steinback Quote
It isn't worth the drive to the developer until I have several rolls to drop off.
Where do you develop? I thought that in T.O. you would have lots of convenient options? Here in the Hammer, it's not a big deal for me to drop off one roll at a time.
03-03-2012, 01:57 AM   #27
Veteran Member

Millennium Photo in Mississauga. If I was downtown there would be lots of options, but I'm way out at the very edge of the GTA (but still on the GO line).
03-03-2012, 12:58 PM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Steinback Quote
I usually tell people that I'll know how my photos turned out in a month or two.
Haha. I hear ya. For me it's at least a 5-hour round trip, so it's definitely a couple of months
03-03-2012, 02:38 PM   #29
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have a weekend Boy Scouts camping outing planned for April (training for 225 adult leaders only). Including trainers (I am a Senior Training Staff member) that will be 375 adults in a bounded outdoor space, with a tightly-controlled agenda of workshops, to teach new adults how to be Boy Scout Leaders..

I usually take the K10D and do candids of my trainer friends and "my" participants. They enjoy simple shots of their speaking sessions and humorous asides. At least one adult being trained comments about his or her K1000 every time. I think I'll take the LX and K-01 this time, do some video, and just listen for comments - about both cameras. The LX should be more fun than the K-01!

The Adult Leader Training Staff has two official photographers to document the training weekends. One has a D3x (he's a big-shot retired executive) and the other a D700. I don't listen to their comments when I take the K10D, either.
03-03-2012, 03:25 PM   #30
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Simian Summit Quote
How about when your using an enlarger?
My enlarger is zero megapixels and is obviously inferior as a result.

In practical terms, the largest prints I ever made were 11x14 from a 35mm negative (the size of my trays and easel), though I am confident that I could have done 16x20 from the same negs. At 300 dpi for inkjet printing that would be somewhere between 13.8 and 28.8 megapixels.

Steve

(LPL 6x7 enlarger with Schneider Componon-S 50/2.8 lens)