Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
02-18-2012, 11:04 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The look... and whispers

For your entertainment...

Was just down at the outlet mall in Niagara Falls - took a moment to occupy my short men with some french fries while their mom was shopping for a bathing suit.

While standing in line, a couple of thirty something guys are staring at me... I, with my K1000 on original strap around my neck, somewhat obscured by folds of my car coat.

I smile to myself, as they then look at each other and chat softly, I overhearing... "whisper.. whisper.. Pentax... whisper.. whisper".

The laugh of this to me, I think they originally thought it may have been one of those new digital rangefinder type bodies from Fuji or similar. No boys, 30 yr old tech, full stop increments, 100% OVF with real DoF preview. ISO up to 3600 but only if you finish the roll thats in the body first.

I know, probably belongs in the "are we really that rare" thread...

02-18-2012, 11:23 AM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

So much fun

It often surprises me the attention that my KX attracts when I am out in public. Often enough, old gents (like me) will come up and tell me about the desirability of the camera and the Nikon they used to own. Younger people will stare and whisper. No its not a Nikon or a Canon. It is a Pentax and it has mystique.

Steve

BTW...your K1000 has DOF preview?
02-18-2012, 11:28 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
well, I have seen bokeh lights through the viewfinder before.. that is good enough for me...
02-18-2012, 02:20 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I find people staring at my FED2 either trying to work out if it really is a camera (younger folk) or is it a Leica (older folk)...

02-18-2012, 02:54 PM - 1 Like   #5
Veteran Member

Sometimes I wonder whether people are staring at the camera or at me...
02-22-2012, 11:11 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I have found that some people, that stare at film cameras, are actually film shooters themselves, and they are actually checking your gear out. Not because they have never seen it before, but because it is on their list of "next body to buy".

I find the only time I get a condescending reaction to my film gear is when the "better" photography is wielding a Rebel or D40. Funny how that works.

My K1000 has DOF preview, but I need to release the lens, and give it an 1/8 of a turn...
02-23-2012, 06:40 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Most reaction I get (not a lot) is from older folk (like me) who used to shoot film, and are amazed someone is still doing it. I usually hear "I used to have a XXXX, and really enjoyed it. Great camera." Of course they all ask if you can still buy film and get it processed, etc.

02-23-2012, 07:36 AM   #8

Take out your Bronica S2a or Rollei and see what they say!
02-23-2012, 06:05 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by TomB_tx Quote
Most reaction I get (not a lot) is from older folk (like me) who used to shoot film, and are amazed someone is still doing it. I usually hear "I used to have a XXXX, and really enjoyed it. Great camera." Of course they all ask if you can still buy film and get it processed, etc.
I sort of fall into this category. Late last summer I was de-cluttering some closets and stumbled across my K1000 and that J.C. Penny zoom. It had been in the closet since 2000, and I rarely used it before then, except for those first couple years of ownership. My first reaction was "I wonder it this is worth anything". So, onto the internet I went to see if this old thing had any value. It wasn't long before I found this forum and realized there were lots of people shooting film today, and film was still readily available. It wasn't long after that I realized I how much I had enjoyed photography with an SLR - loading the film, finding a subject, choosing an aperture/shutter speed, focusing, and finally capturing the moment. Why I put it aside, I'll never now. I suppose youthful priorities just took over.

Now seven months later, I've already shot more rolls in seven months than I had in the previous 33 years I've used a 35mm SLR. Along the way I've collected a handful more lenses and another body. And I'm looking for more.

So, if you happen to find yourself in the neighborhood of Hollywood, MD, and some greybeard is checking you out, it could be me. But don't worry, I'm just looking at that camera you're toting.
02-23-2012, 09:06 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by hollywoodfred Quote
Now seven months later, I've already shot more rolls in seven months than I had in the previous 33 years I've used a 35mm SLR. Along the way I've collected a handful more lenses and another body. And I'm looking for more.
Yep it sounds like you have a case of CBA and LBA!

Dr. Phil.

PS There is no cure!
02-23-2012, 11:35 PM   #11
Veteran Member

I find that my 645 is the only body that attracts attention, probably because the shape is unusual. I took it to a comic book show last year and the artists kept wanting to play with it.
02-25-2012, 01:33 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by KungPOW Quote
My K1000 has DOF preview, but I need to release the lens, and give it an 1/8 of a turn...
Haha, yep, I also figured out after using it for a while, that you could do that.
What hollywoodfred said... the process... of choosing your exposure, focusing, finally capturing the moment. I enjoy that too. I feel like I accomplished something with that decisive shutter clack (no wussy little beepbeep & simulated 'click'). I took the picture; the camera didn't take it for me
02-27-2012, 05:14 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by womble Quote
I find people staring at my FED2 either trying to work out if it really is a camera (younger folk) or is it a Leica (older folk)...
Hee. Last I was much walking around with my Mamiya 645, I did get the 'Is that a Hassie' bit an awful lot in a rather remote place.
02-28-2012, 09:50 PM   #14
Veteran Member

I was out downtown a few weeks ago with my little cream-colored Canon Demi Color... a man asked me what the model was, where I got it, and how many megapixels it had. He was a little bummed and surprised when I told him it was film (what I didn't tell him is that I got it at Goodwill for $9.99). Guess it looks a bit like those new, fancy, "retro" point and shoots?

02-28-2012, 10:41 PM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Julie Quote
I was out downtown a few weeks ago with my little cream-colored Canon Demi Color... a man asked me what the model was, where I got it, and how many megapixels it had. He was a little bummed and surprised when I told him it was film (what I didn't tell him is that I got it at Goodwill for $9.99). Guess it looks a bit like those new, fancy, "retro" point and shoots?
Does a bit I guess. Cute looking thing! Even better when it costs $9.99! K.