Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-04-2008, 02:57 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
New Pentax K-mount camera from Kenko

Film purists, Kenko has announced a new 35mm film camera made for different lens mounts, Pentax included. The camera is Chinese made OEM by Phoenix.

ケンコー フィルム一眼レフカメラ KF-4PK

01-04-2008, 03:51 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Thank you very much! I've just read the info thoroughly, including the owner's manual.

Vertical run metal shutter, flash synch 1/125. Hotshoe and PC terminal. 100% mechanical....battery only operates the meter.

And.....I can use most of my lenses on it, including my screwmounts (with adapter, of course).

Wonder if I can have it shipped to work so I can sneak it past my wife? I've got so many cameras lying about the place right now that she'd never notice another one....unless the delivery man brought it.

Last edited by Mike Cash; 01-04-2008 at 04:17 AM.
01-04-2008, 04:44 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Nice!

I looks like Pentax sold them the 1970's K series designs.
Or they reverse engineered the lot, the housings have cosmetic differences.
It brings back some old memories....

- Bert
01-04-2008, 05:12 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Is there a price already?

01-04-2008, 05:21 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Looks like a nice camera. It looks very much like a Chinon CM-4.

http://kitatoma.pepo.jp/hobby_room/1_camera/image/CHINON/CHINON-CM-4.jpg
01-04-2008, 05:37 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by blende8 Quote
Is there a price already?
It's on the market and off the shelves already here in Japan. Prices are between 22,000 and 24,000 yen. The official Kenko online outlet store has none in stock and one of Japan's largest and most famous camera/electronics stores, Yodobashi Camera, also has none in stock (but can order them).

Shutter speeds B ~ 2000. The Pentax version of the camera lacks a multiple exposure mode and DOF preview lever. The self-timer runs about 10 seconds and, if I understood it correctly, does mirror lock-up prior to the shutter opening.

I've just been seriously looking at getting either a Spotmatic or an SV, or perhaps a KM so I can use my K-mount lenses on it as well. But this does look like an alternative that deserves serious consideration. I googled around a bit on Japanese pages but was unable to find user comments from actual owners of the camera, just mention of the camera's existence. But since it was only released a month or so ago, it may be too early to expect much online feedback.
01-04-2008, 05:45 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Price is about 24,000 Yen in Japan (conservatively about US$230). A very reasonable price I must say.

。レウレナキサヤセ。ロ・ユ・」・・牴エ罕・ユ・ォ・皈鬘。」ヒ」ニ。ン」エ」ミ」ヒ、ホセワコルセハ。ァ・ア・・ウ。シクウリ・キ・逾テ・ラ。。ウレナキサヤセナケ

As Kenko has close affiliation with the HOYA Group, I would say the new Kenko KF-4PK is like a close cousin to Pentax. Certainly the camera has a close resemblance to the venerable Pentax MX. Obviously this is a smart move by Kenko to cater to film purists as I am told by my Japanese client that the Nikon mount versions are selling quite well and flying off the shelves of camera shops.

01-04-2008, 07:33 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Check out this sales ranking chart.

No wonder practically everywhere I look they say "Backordered". I don't think Kenko had any idea this would happen.
01-04-2008, 08:39 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Wow, very intriguing.

I wonder though, even new, will one last as well as a decent late Spottie for example?
01-04-2008, 08:58 AM   #10
Veteran Member

One does have to remember it is a Chinese made camera which takes Pentax lenses.....not a Pentax camera. Still, it is made under the auspices of Kenko, which is under Hoya, which is now over Pentax, so who knows?

It seems the release date on these was sometime around the middle of December. I read one blog comment from someone who mentioned he had been in a camera shop in Yokohama and seen three of them for sale.....used.
01-04-2008, 09:07 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
On price alone, the Kenko is a clear winner. It is definitely better value compared to the vintage Pentax film cameras, imo. One gets a new, all mechanical camera compared to a used camera that probably is failing or worn. Add the issue of dwindling spare parts and it is a no brainer to go with the Kenko. Plus Velvia 50 and Velvia 100 beckons...
01-04-2008, 09:28 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Get one Mike and keep us informed!

01-04-2008, 09:33 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Oh I don't know about the Kenko being a better value... for the price, and selecting my bids based on the attached lens, I bought two SP1000's with Takumar lenses for an average price of $43 delivered. Both work fine, with no problems. The one I kept I did have to soak the bottom plate to loosen the battery cover.

Even spending $75 every 5 years to have a CLA and whatever fix, the camera costs me less than a new Kenko would. Granted, this is a screw mount setup. (However, I think I paid even less for my mint Program Plus with smc-a 28mm lens)

Further, spare parts are likely to remain plentiful for Pentax as broken cameras get cannibalized. I wonder just how available spares are for the Chinon from 10 years ago?

That said, if B&H had one for sale I'd be over there, fondling and figuring out how to smuggle one home
01-04-2008, 09:48 AM   #14
Veteran Member

I did find an online dealer who ships internationally. Oddly, a search on regular Google revealed nothing about this camera. Apparently it is only being sold in Japan. I read one blog entry which I took to be relating an exchange between the blogger and someone at Kenko. If what I read is correct they only expected to sell about 10,000 units of this camera (whether in Pentax mount or including the others, I don't know). That it is doing well is attested to by the fact that it is beating out several cameras from The Big Boys in the film SLR rankings.
01-04-2008, 05:27 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
Oh I don't know about the Kenko being a better value... for the price, and selecting my bids based on the attached lens, I bought two SP1000's with Takumar lenses for an average price of $43 delivered. Both work fine, with no problems. The one I kept I did have to soak the bottom plate to loosen the battery cover.

Even spending $75 every 5 years to have a CLA and whatever fix, the camera costs me less than a new Kenko would. Granted, this is a screw mount setup. (However, I think I paid even less for my mint Program Plus with smc-a 28mm lens)

Further, spare parts are likely to remain plentiful for Pentax as broken cameras get cannibalized. I wonder just how available spares are for the Chinon from 10 years ago?

That said, if B&H had one for sale I'd be over there, fondling and figuring out how to smuggle one home
Well good for you to be able to get your M42 mount cameras cheap. I guess there are plenty of estate and garage sales for unwanted old screw mount cameras in your area.

However I feel a comparison with more recent K-mount cameras is more appropriate. Just compare the price of a used Pentax MX in good condition and it makes getting a NEW Kenko a serious choice.

Last edited by creampuff; 01-04-2008 at 05:33 PM.