Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-13-2012, 06:44 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by magkelly Quote
Hmm, 303/357, huh? I think I saw those at Target or Walgreens or somewhere near here. I got a 625 from Amazon with some other stuff just so I could see if the light meter was still functional but I'm thinking that if the other works too I might just go for it. Thanks!

I just found this. I've definitely got to try this. This is a mod so easy even I can't get it wrong I don't think and I do like the idea of the LR44's being in there. They're common as dirt and right now I have like 2 dozen of them because I picked up a bunch of them around just after Christmas at Big Lots when they were selling them off at like a buck for a pack of 5...

no pain, no gain... - Pentax Spotmatic F Battery Mod
The 303/357 alkaline cell is available pretty much anywhere. I get mine from Home Depot, 3 for $6.

03-21-2012, 11:29 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
I got the one battery from Amazon just to test the meter but I am going to try the 357's later this week and also that little trick with the LR44's to see if that will work too. So far so good. Camera really needs a good clean, tech and lube job I think, but the meter still works. For now I'm doing the light seals this weekend and then I'm putting a bit of money by now and again. When I get enough it's going off to Eric. I eventually want this one in tip top shape like my best SPII. My first and likely only black Spottie? It deserves a bit of respect and a good overhaul I think.
03-23-2012, 06:27 AM   #33
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by magkelly Quote
I got the one battery from Amazon just to test the meter but I am going to try the 357's later this week and also that little trick with the LR44's to see if that will work too. So far so good. Camera really needs a good clean, tech and lube job I think, but the meter still works. For now I'm doing the light seals this weekend and then I'm putting a bit of money by now and again. When I get enough it's going off to Eric. I eventually want this one in tip top shape like my best SPII. My first and likely only black Spottie? It deserves a bit of respect and a good overhaul I think.
I find that with any film camera I'm going to use, and use often, a good CLA is a must. I don't like the idea that I'm going to be shooting one day and it'll break. A CLA costs money, that once-in-a-lifetime photo is priceless.
03-23-2012, 07:06 AM   #34
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by unixrevolution Quote
I find that with any film camera I'm going to use, and use often, a good CLA is a must. I don't like the idea that I'm going to be shooting one day and it'll break. A CLA costs money, that once-in-a-lifetime photo is priceless.
when one considers the number of years a camera will be good for after a CLA (barring insanely heavy use or abuse of course) I think a general CLA is a no brainer, if you actually plan to use the camera often. there are very few things in this modern world that get you so much for so little, when you really think about it. a camera that itself can last a lifetime without becoming completely unusable (unlike modern electronic cameras) and something that will likely cost a hundred dollars or less (not counting expensive shipping for those who live in places that such is required) can get you a camera that will likely keep on churning out amazing photos for 10-15 years or more, with no issues. thats what you call a bargain, when you consider the memories such a device can capture.

03-23-2012, 12:40 PM   #35
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-film-slr-discussion/135112-asahi-s...mendation.html

These worked for me but others claim not (Pickles and seamius would know) pickles says Excell XP400

Silver Oxide battery comparison table:
Mitutoyo Part# 541980
Duracell: D357/303
Rayovac: 357
Panasonic: SP357
Renata: 357
Sony: SR44W
Toshiba: SR44W
Varta: V357
Maxell: SR44W
GoldPeak: 357
Timex: J
AWI: S05
Bulova: 228
Seiko: SR44W
Other: EPX76/S76, GS13/GP57

Last edited by monochrome; 03-23-2012 at 12:45 PM.
03-23-2012, 01:09 PM   #36
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-film-slr-discussion/135112-asahi-s...mendation.html

These worked for me but others claim not (Pickles and seamius would know) pickles says Excell XP400

Silver Oxide battery comparison table:
Mitutoyo Part# 541980
Duracell: D357/303
Rayovac: 357
Panasonic: SP357
Renata: 357
Sony: SR44W
Toshiba: SR44W
Varta: V357
Maxell: SR44W
GoldPeak: 357
Timex: J
AWI: S05
Bulova: 228
Seiko: SR44W
Other: EPX76/S76, GS13/GP57
what I have in my Spotmatic right now is a Maxell SR44W Silver Oxide. I specifically asked Eric Hendrickson wether a 1.55v battery in a Spotmatic SP would affect the meter, but I didn't get a clear answer. he stated that he could adjust the metering, but I actually do not know if it was or wasn't adjusted on mine when he CLA'd it. I have also been told on many occasions that even the original SP is in fact not affected by a higher voltage battery. I have a CRIS adapter as well that can reduce the voltage of a 1.55v battery down to 1.35v. when I use that and a Maxell SR626SW silver oxide, also at 1.55v, I notice no difference in the metering. therefore my conclusion is at either 1.5 or 1.3v my meter registers no difference. both are maxell and both are silver oxide cells. if all of these are also 1.55v silver oxide cells, I do not see any reason why any of the above listed will not work and give accurate readings in a Spotmatic meter.

so my personal recommendation is if you are planning on letting Eric CLA it. request to have the meter adjusted to 1.55v, won't cost extra as far as I know, but in my experience a 1.55v or a 1.35v will not make a difference in a spotmatic's meter. and only use silver oxide cells, if you can. alkaline cells don't have a linear discharge curve and this will affect your meter reading as the battery nears the end of its life. they also do not last as long as silver oxide cells for camera meters. any brand of silver oxide cell is ok, I don't know of any brand that outright won't work if it is a 357/SR/LR44 type button cell.

Last edited by séamuis; 03-23-2012 at 01:22 PM.
03-24-2012, 07:15 PM   #37
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
when one considers the number of years a camera will be good for after a CLA (barring insanely heavy use or abuse of course) I think a general CLA is a no brainer, if you actually plan to use the camera often. there are very few things in this modern world that get you so much for so little, when you really think about it. a camera that itself can last a lifetime without becoming completely unusable (unlike modern electronic cameras) and something that will likely cost a hundred dollars or less (not counting expensive shipping for those who live in places that such is required) can get you a camera that will likely keep on churning out amazing photos for 10-15 years or more, with no issues. thats what you call a bargain, when you consider the memories such a device can capture.
Absolutely right. 10-15 years is a minimum. The reccomended service interval on my Leica M2 is a quarter-century.