Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-20-2012, 08:30 AM   #1

pentax super program service manual is INCORRECT!

the service manual diagram clearly shows part# bo 1.5mm ball to be used in the shutter lock button along with spring f20... the 1.5mm ball IS TO LARGE!! it must be a 1mm ball. can someone CONFIRM THIS?? I would add that the 1.5mm ball is used in the self timer assembly. but the service manual states only one (1) 1.5mm ball is used in the entire camera. if what the manual states is true two 1.5mm are used (shutter button and self timer)

02-21-2012, 06:00 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Sorry, I suppose there is no Pentax repair expert around who would know this kind of stuff.
02-21-2012, 07:31 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Before anyone wastes their time with this question of "balls", read this:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/forum-suggestions-news-help/176379-group-...ml#post1837192
02-21-2012, 11:33 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Okay, I will try but this is off my distant memory.

The grey colour button on the dial will pop up at M position (or A?) as it is rotated. For that position, the hole is larger than the rest for the spring to sit inside with the metal ball on top. I believe this is why you thought the ball was too big because the metal dial inside is at the wrong position. The small holes are meant to prevent the ball and spring flying out (your 1st mistake).

For the spring to sit inside, you have to rotate that metal piece until you see a big enough hole. Set the spring in then with the ball on top. Obviously the ball will slip so you might apply a little grease on the spring top so that the ball will stick. Then carefully assemble the main dial will do. DON'T threadlock the screw. It doesn't need to be super tight. Hope it will work for you.

02-25-2012, 03:46 AM   #5

Wlachan: That was very generous of you to offer that technical advice to the above mentioned question. The question was a very specific one which most people reading this thread would not know, it's also generous of them not to pretend to know and offer incorrect advice.
02-25-2012, 04:05 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Pity the OP is probably gone for good. Well...
02-25-2012, 06:23 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Patience is a virtue as is kindness. Wlachan was kind, unfortunately the OP was not patient.