Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-24-2012, 10:22 PM   #1

Will a 46mm polarizer vignette on the 43mm?

Hi,

I'm just getting stated in film photography with an MX and my 43mm. What a combo!

I have a 46mm B+W warming polarizing filter that I'd like to use occasionally. I got an step down ring and looking through the viewfinder I don't notice any obvious vignetting, but it's already darkened by the filter so I can't be totally sure.

I don't mind a little trial and error, but I know there are a lot of experts here who might be able to clue me in.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Chris

02-24-2012, 10:39 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Since you already have all the parts do 2 test shots on a paved road or other uniform surface and look for differences with and without
02-25-2012, 03:32 AM   #3

I don't know for syre, but I suspect that there will be at least a little vignetting when shooting at maximum aperture.
Follow Lowell's suggestion and make sure to shoot at max aperture and work your way down to 5.6 or so. And take notes--otherwise you won't know what you can get away with.
02-25-2012, 04:07 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Probably not I guess since the front element is rather small.

02-25-2012, 06:35 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Probably not as 43 mm is a full frame lens, on aps-c this image circle is reduced and the vignetting induced by the polariser should be hidden; it may be visible on a full frame SLR, but this is another debate
02-25-2012, 10:01 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
As I recall the MX finder covers about 95% of the actual film frame, so you can get vignetting on film that you don't see in the finder. This happened to me a few years back using the SMC 24mm lens with a filter and generic WA hood. All looked great in the finder, but I had to crop out the black corners on every shot. Since then I've found the Pentax rectangular hood made for the 24, and it eliminates the problem.
Most SLR finders don't show quite the entire frame.
02-25-2012, 11:32 AM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Do the test shots with a roll of cheap film. Any evenly-lit bland subject will do (blank wall, cloudy sky, etc.) Shoot at f/5.6 and narrower. Vignette from a hood or filter ring is more apparent as you stop down and is often not particularly visible in the viewfinder.

Steve

02-25-2012, 02:25 PM   #8

Original Poster
Thanks for everyone's advice

Looks like I'll have to try it to find out!

At the moment I have a nice roll of film in there, so I probably won't be taking too many test shots. Still, I'll snap at least a couple frames with the polarizer in place to see what happens.

I'll report back when I know how it turns out in case anyone is interested.

Thanks again,

Chris
02-25-2012, 02:34 PM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Unfortunately, experimentation is often the only solution in the matter of hoods and filters and vignette. I have a short hood that I use with my Jupiter-12 25/2.8 in LTM mount. It works great even with a filter mounted between the hood and the lens. I have also have a Jupiter-12 in Kiev/Contax mount and am uncertain whether the hood/filter combination will vignette, despite the similarities between the two lenses. The roll currently in the camera will tell!

Steve
02-25-2012, 03:54 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
Since you already have all the parts do 2 test shots on a paved road or other uniform surface and look for differences with and without
+1. Sometimes the simple answer is correct.