Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-25-2012, 11:24 AM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
In Praise Of Ferrania

The whole Lomography scene (and philosophy) generally gets little respect on serious sites (like PF) where we are obsessed with quality gear and quality results. Despite its shortcomings, I was thinking that it might be good to post a few comments in favor of that favorite film of the plastic camera crowd, Ferrania Solaris.

Ferrania is an Italian company and until fairly recently was the maker of low-end consumer-grade film under the Solaris name. Solaris films were made in a selection of speeds (100, 200, and 400 IIRC) and have a characteristic grain and color rendition. While the films are fairly capable in good light (a notch or two below Kodak Gold and a notch or two above Lucky), the color mix is always a bit out of the norm. I can't really easily characterize except to say that celadon and bronze are a strong presence. Contrast is also variable by color. Interested yet? Can I sweeten the deal by adding that the scans are very amenable to wild acts of PP?

As noted above, Ferrania recently went out of the consumer film business and while its products are still available as house brands (Four Corners Store, Lomography.com and elsewhere...the cassette design and country of origin are the clues), what there is is what there is. There won't be any more.

So...If you have ever shot Ferrania Solaris and/or want to share your comments/examples, post them here as a tribute to an interesting and addictive product. (I generally use it with my FSU 35mm rangefinders. It somehow seems appropriate for those bodies )

To start things off, here are a few of my favs with this film (mix of both ISO 100 and ISO 400 ... see if you can tell which is which!):

Tree Facade, v2

Tree Facade

Flying Fish Fatality

Anarchist Book Store

Star Tree in Color

Anarchist Cat

For many more see Ferrania Wonderland (Pool) on Flickr

Steve

(...thank you Jussi (Nesster) for hooking me on this stuff...)

02-25-2012, 07:54 PM   #2
Site Supporter

I haven't a clue which is which - just wanted to say, "Nice images" - I especially like the tree facade.
Thanks for sharing.
02-25-2012, 08:14 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Nice images Steve, and nice idea for a thread.

I haven't been shooting much film lately but I do currently have one of my last 2 rolls of Ferrania 200 (Four Corners branded) in my MZ-S. I've only ever shot 5 roll of Ferrania, but I do like the results.
Here are a few of mine, all Ferrania 200.

02-25-2012, 09:57 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Original Poster
@Jford...the star tree is the 400. The others are ISO 100. That is one of the weird things about Ferrania, the 400 shoots about the same as the 100. I have never shot the 200 and based on Colton's work, I can see that it is an entirely different beast.

@Colton...that Ferrania 200 is every bit as good as Kodak Gold 200 from the look of your shots. Are you sure it was made in Italy Nice work.

I just noticed that Four Corner Store apparently is no longer selling the stuff as a house brand. Lomography.com has house brand film in ISO 100, 200, and 400 that is reputably Ferrania, but it may well be Lucky brand instead. The key is the simple B&W film canister with no DX encoding and "Made in Italy" in small print (may be missing).

Steve

(...has about 30 rolls in the freezer...)

02-25-2012, 10:10 PM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
@Colton...that Ferrania 200 is every bit as good as Kodak Gold 200 from the look of your shots. Are you sure it was made in Italy Nice work.

I just noticed that Four Corner Store apparently is no longer selling the stuff as a house brand. Lomography.com has house brand film in ISO 100, 200, and 400 that is reputably Ferrania, but it may well be Lucky brand instead. The key is the simple B&W film canister with no DX encoding and "Made in Italy" in small print (may be missing).

My stuff came in plain black cannisters and also had "Ferrania" on the film edge outside the sprocket holes.
02-26-2012, 10:53 AM   #6
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Swift1 Quote
My stuff came in plain black cannisters and also had "Ferrania" on the film edge outside the sprocket holes.
I should have qualified by saying black with white lettering. "Ferrania" on the film margin? Cool! The rolls I have shot just have numbers. I should probably see if there is an identifiable pattern.

Steve
03-06-2012, 02:57 PM   #7
Pentaxian

So my most recent roll of fourcornersdark film (was advertised as Ferrania) had the same black canister with white writing, but had "Made in E.U" written on it and didn't have "Ferrania" written in the margins. The colors definitely seem Ferrania though.

MZ-S, D-FA 100/2.8
07-03-2013, 10:43 PM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter

Original Poster
In celebration of the recent rumor that Ferrania film may become available again, I have decided to give this thread a bump with a few more Solaris 100 shots (I have a stash)...

North Coast Seedy

Metal Werke II

]

Dancing!

All with Kiev 4A rangefinder mounted to LZOS Jupiter-12 35/2.8.

Steve