Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-26-2012, 12:08 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Mates Pentax Kit

Hello,

Just been down a friend place and mentioned I just bought a Pentax, he went out and dug out some of his old kit, and wondered If I could find out if it was worth anything, here is what he has got.

The camera is a Pentax MX with (I think) 55mm f1.8 lens.
The two other genuine SMC Pentax lenses are 28mm and 135mm fixed, can't remember aperture.
Then there are a couple of non-Pentax zooms - from memory a Zeiss (Jena) 35-70mm and a Takumar 28-80mm.

Had a quick look for the MX online and with a 50mm F1.7 lens prices seem to be quite positive for him, though not good for me Im looking at the lenses for my new pentax, so a idea of price would be nice.

Cheers Steve

02-26-2012, 12:19 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Always hard negotiating prices with friends! It can get too much in favour of one over the other, and that sours the relationship. But then it is nice to buy stuff from a trusted person. Online s/h market prices vary wildly. I think if you have the time to use it you could take the average of the first 6 or 10 eBay auctions (internationally convereted to local currency) for each item. Most of those come up fairly often. That way the negotiation is about a way to determine the market value, not the prices themselves. Prices actually sold matter for determining a market, not the asking prices of 'for sale'.
02-26-2012, 12:21 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The MX was a good camera and still sells at market if in good shape. Depending on where everything was stored he could have a few 100 dollars or a pile of junk. Cameras and lenses do not take well to being stored in damp dark places for example.

You do not provide enough information on the lenses. I am assuming these are K series. If they were M they would say Pentax-M on the lens. Both the 28mm and 135mm came in two different variants and the values are quite different. The 28mm f/3.5 might bring $100 - $150 but the 28mm f/2 can go over $500 easily for example. The 135mm came in f/2.5 and f/3.5.

The Zeiss will bring some money just because of the name but zooms of that era are not highly regarded so I would not expect too much from the Takumar.

You can check the lens data base here for more information.
02-26-2012, 12:29 PM   #4
Veteran Member

All those lens are useful and potentially desirable in the right hands.

Prices in the lens database would be indicative of fair value, but you would have to know the exact model.

The 55 f1.8 is likely a K model, and average price is listed as $58.

The other pentax lenses are most likely M or K models, but price would be very dependent on f-stop and other details.

02-26-2012, 03:18 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Ok thanks for the info, I have called my friend and requested some more information on the lenses.

Cheers, Steve
02-26-2012, 04:20 PM   #6
Veteran Member

You should go and take a look at them, see if the aperture and focus rings work, if there is dust, scratches or fungus on the optics. Some of those lenses could be quite nice, as older lenses tend to have a lot of character. This can be a good or a bad thing.
02-26-2012, 09:15 PM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
The Zeiss will bring some money just because of the name but zooms of that era are not highly regarded so I would not expect too much from the Takumar.
Most likely not a DDR Zeiss Jena, but a no-name Asian zoom labeled as Zeiss Jena by a British entity who had name branding rights for Zeiss Jena name in Britain. To the best of my knowledge, the Zeiss entity in the DDR did not make K-mount lenses. Value for the zoom would be under $35 USD.

The 55/1.8 would be Pentax-K unless it is an adapted screw-mount Takumar and a $35 - $55 USD value would be appropriate. Ditto for the other two Pentax lenses. The body would be worth between $50 and $120 USD depending on condition.

Steve

02-29-2012, 12:12 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Little bit more info...

AFAIK they are K mount M Prime lenses.

There is a F2.8 28mm
F3.5 135mm

The 55mm seems to be a K mount K prime lens F1.8 55MM

Hmm, will have to see what cash I got, quite fancy the F1.8 55mm and F2.8 28mm

Wouldnt mind the MX body as well, depend if SHMBO wants to learn how to take photographs.....

Cheers Steve
03-03-2012, 02:38 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Just had the 2 SMC Pentax-M Lenses given to me.

A F2.8 28mm and a F3.5 135mm

Had a little play on my K-r and after reading how to do the metering Im really pleased.

I did get the old Double Slap when I 1st tried the lenses but seems ok now, hopefully the weather will hold so I can use it in anger!

Cheers Steve
03-03-2012, 03:18 PM   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by skankin_giant Quote

Had a little play on my K-r and after reading how to do the metering Im really pleased.

I did get the old Double Slap when I 1st tried the lenses but seems ok now, hopefully the weather will hold so I can use it in anger!

Cheers Steve
Looks like you scored the "classic kit". Very nice.

What is the "Double Slap"??

Steve
03-03-2012, 03:22 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Shutter going off twice while taking a picture.

QuoteOriginally posted by Philoslothical Quote
Nothing that a lil bit of fine silica sandpaper won't fix. Just observe what part of the mount is over the camera contacts, then remove it and lightly sand the surface of the lens mount in that spot so the contacts get shorted.
Cheers Steve
03-03-2012, 03:32 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by skankin_giant Quote

Cheers Steve
I'd try to get my hands on that 55mm if I were you. market price is well worth the quality.
03-03-2012, 03:44 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Il see how much he wants for the rest of his kit, feel a bit bad asking just for that as it is the kit lens for his MX.

Cheers Steve