Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-29-2012, 09:24 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Got a free Auto 110

I've done a search and can't find much on this camera on this site, though I did find a handy pictorial on how to strip down and repair one on another site. I've been dreaming idly of getting one for ages now, but the availability of the discontinued film put me off until yesterday. I had a quick browse on ebay and well, the long and short of it is, that I ordered 5 films for 35 posted and they come with a free 110 with 24mm lens. To top it off, the guy e-mailed me to say that the auction went higher than he thought it would so he's chucking in a few extra spools of film, so grins all round in Plymouth last night.

I've found the manual online but I was wondering if there was anything in particular I should look out for as I'm new to film. The vendor said he's not used it in 15 years, but it winds on and the shutter trips so that's a good start. I hear that light seals can often go in older film cameras but is there anything else I should investigate before using it too heavily? Of course, I'll run one film through it and get it developed and printed before going crazy.

Also, I read a while ago about reloading the cartridges with 8mm cine film, has anyone else heard of this being done? I seem to remember the article I read saying that the perforations are off but will work, at the expense of excessively wide gaps between the negs. I also read that 35mm film has the right perforation spacing and can be split in half, and have come up with a hair-brained idea to use the laser cutter at work to make a device where I could feed in a 135 film at one end, and wind it over a razor blade to split it and spool it into two empty 110 cartridges in one easy action - obviously, I wouldn't be using the laser to split the film itself, just for the precision in making the splitter.

Any advice, comments or similar will be most welcome - already found 50 and 70mm lenses for a reasonable cost in a camera shop. They also have the winder and both types of flash but seeing as it's the very compactness of the system that's always appealed I think I won't bother with them.

Last edited by wildweasel; 02-29-2012 at 10:31 AM.
02-29-2012, 09:53 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by wildweasel Quote
I've done a search and can't find much on this camera on this site, though I did find a handy pictorial on how to strip down and repair one on another site. I've been dreaming idly of getting one for ages now, but the availability of the discontinued film put me off until yesterday. I had a quick browse on ebay and well, the long and short of it is, that I ordered 5 films for 35 posted and they come with a free 110 with 24mm lens. To top it off, the guy e-mailed me to say that the auction went higher than he thought it would so he's chucking in a few extra spools of film, so grins all round in Plymouth last night.

I've found the manual online but I was wondering if there was anything in particular I should look out for as I'm new to film. The vendor said he's not used it in 15 years, but it winds on and the shutter trips so that's a good start. I hear that light seals can often go in older film cameras but is there anything else I should investigate before using it too heavily? Of course, I'll run one film through it and get it developed and printed before going crazy.

Also, I read a while ago about reloading the cartridges with 8mm cine film, has anyone else heard of this being done? I seem to remember the article I read saying that the perforations are off but will work, at the expense of excessively wide gaps between the negs. I also read that 35mm film has the right perforation spacing and can be split in half, and have come up with a hair-brained idea to use the laser cutter at work to make a device where I could feed in a 135 film at one end, and wind it over a razor blade to split it and spool it into two empty 110 cartridges in one easy action - obviously, I wouldn't be using the laser to split the film itself, just for the precision in making the splitter.

Any advice, comments or similar will be most welcome - already found 50 and 70mm lenses for a reasonable cost in a camera shop. They also have the winder and both types of flash but seeing as it's the very compactness of the system that's always appealed I think I won't bother with them.

I forget anything I might have known about the mechanical works in those 110s, but at least it's the nature of 110 cartridges not to need a whole lot in the way of camera light seals: they're basically light-tight apart from the actual exposure that's in play. Mostly I'd just be sure that if there's a peep-window to see the frame count, that any seals for that are still in place. (I can't even remember if the Pentax 110 uses that or a mechanical counter.)

I believe you can still buy the stuff over here, I don't know what's involved there, if they respool something or what.
02-29-2012, 10:49 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks, good to know the cartridges are sealed. Should have figured that out for myself though, my mum had a 110 camera back in the '80s; forget the make but you pumped one side of the camera to advance the film, which I remember thinking was really cool as a 6 year old.

In case anyone does a search in future for the 110, and for my own reference (hopeless at bookmarking..), these are a couple of the sites I've found.

Process, print and scan. Welcome To Fuji Digital Imaging Service | 110 Film Processing |110 Film Processing by Mail

General info on the system and the tear-down guide. Pentax 110
02-29-2012, 01:35 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Auto 110

I personally wouldn't sink a large amount of money into anything 110 right now, but there is some talk of Agfa setting up a new production run of 110 film if the demand is high enough (agfa). The Film Photography Project store has a good sized stash of 100/200 ASA Fuji 110 for sale Film | Film Photography Project.

Auto 110 blog entry at FPP with additional links - Pentax Auto 110 SLR Film Camera | Film Photography Project

02-29-2012, 06:26 PM   #5

oh man, the old 110, my mom shot us kids all our childhood with one of those things. The first popular pocket camera. The negative was the size of your baby fingernail. The grain of the pics was always so bad ya can't help but love those old things now! lol. Man, I want one. I'll have to ask my mom if she can find a couple for me. I'm so jealous. Can't believe there's a place that can develop that stuff still? Good score you! I now this wasn't helpful I just had to comment. Sorry.
02-29-2012, 08:10 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
check this out. Pentax Auto 110/Auto 110 Super Users - PentaxForums.com
03-01-2012, 08:56 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
There is a lot of 110 related information here: Pentax 110

Tony Kemplin writes articles for Amateur Photographer and also posts a lot of pictures online (especially flickr as "pho-tony") has made a 135mm film splitter along the lines you describe, he mentions it in some of his posts.

K.
03-01-2012, 02:18 PM   #8
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Mine is not free and I currently have a number of Pentax Auto 110 items in marketplace

If you happen to have MFT, Pentax Q, or Sony NEX, the lenses can be adapted to other systems.

A picture with the Pano 18mm f/2.8 and Sony NEX 5N

Cheers,
Hin