Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-10-2008, 03:19 PM   #16
Inactive Account

I have an SV I bought new in 1964. Have several lenses for it. Does anybody know someone in the US who does repairs/reconditions on them? It is frozen - can't cock and trip the shutter.

01-10-2008, 08:13 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by timamcd Quote
I have an SV I bought new in 1964. Have several lenses for it. Does anybody know someone in the US who does repairs/reconditions on them? It is frozen - can't cock and trip the shutter.
Best service or least expensive? Answer is yes... and some folks in between as well... Common issue.

I'' send you a PM ...

woof!
02-17-2008, 10:42 PM   #18
Pentaxian

I have a Pentax s1a, bought new by me, in 1968. Still works. One model below the SV, no light meter, self timer, just 1/500 of a second top speed. Rugged, been all over the world with me.
02-18-2008, 04:38 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Original Poster
The SV came out in 1962 so predates the camera you mention. Might that have been the "SL" in Japan, I wonder? That was a Spotmatic minus the light meter.

02-18-2008, 06:44 AM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
The SV came out in 1962 so predates the camera you mention. Might that have been the "SL" in Japan, I wonder? That was a Spotmatic minus the light meter.
Actually, I am certain lesmore49 has an S1a as stated. Here's the history lesson for today (not really trying to be pedantic, just an FYI):

The early type SV came out in 1962. In 1964, a later version of the SV came out, and production continued through 1968. The model of which lesmore49 speaks is NOT the SL but rather just as quoted... S1a. And just like the SV, it came out originally in 1962, was improved in 1964 and ran through 1968.

Just as the SV was known has the H3v here in the states, the S1a was known as the H1a. On the S1a/H1a, Pentax did not really want to have two widely divergent models in production, as that is simply not cost effective. So the 1/1000th shutter speed is there, but it is "hidden." The dial only shows shutter speeds up 1/500th, there is an unmarked click for 1/1000th.

The late types of both of these cameras which started production in 1964 incorporated improvements to allow them take the then new 1.4/50mm lens. Also the back catch was changed to be attached to body instead of back. Both SV/H3v and S1a/H1a later models can be recognized by an orange "R" on rewind knob. Have a look at yours Mike. You may have a later model that is actually a contemporary of lesmore49's S1a.

So both ran concurrently. The only other Pentaxes produced during this period were the Super S2 and the Spotmatic. The Super S2 was only sold in Japan and the Spotmatic was different enough to be in a totally different class. So the SV/H3v and the S1a/H1a were competing in essentially the same space and were therefore perceived as choices much as the K100D and K10D might be today. The S1a/H1a of course was perceived at the time as the "budget" model since it had less features and cost less. It is however, basically an SV without the self-timer and no 1/1000th shutter speed (not marked anyway).

Oh, and just a little corroboration that they are esentially the same camera... Pentax produced a manual for both. I have one. See this url:

http://www.dear.com/schreppler/pentax_sv/frt_cvr_s.jpg

Respectfully,

woof

Last edited by woof; 02-18-2008 at 06:50 AM.