01-08-2008, 06:32 PM   #16
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
won't hurt to try, thanks!

06-08-2008, 02:03 PM   #17

Fixing P30t shutter

Hello all,
I read this thread with real interest, as one of my P30t s failed in just this way while out shooting today. I cocked the shutter and all was well: - it just wouldn't fire.
Now, other p30t s may be suffering with problems with the circuitry etc. Unfortunately, there's no way to check this, since Pentax didn't put ANY mechanical speeds on this model (a real pain). The much maligned Nikon EM has three mechanical speeds (inc. bulb) - much more sensible.
Anyway, it appears mine was a shutter curtain problem. Yours may not be, but the symptoms are exactly the same as those mentioned on this forum. After trying all these suggestions and using a remote cable release (with no luck) I stroked down on the shutter curtains using a cotton bud (Q-tip) while pressing the shutter release button. Fired; jammed on the next operation, but then didn't jam after that. So far, anyway.
Seems like quite a well constructed shutter (unlike some similar models such as the basic Ricoh KR 10 and the Practika BMS) and seems to take this manipulation fine. Just make sure you don't get any grease on it and don't push down hard enough to knock any of the blades out of their fitting!

Good luck.

RB.
06-09-2008, 12:35 PM - 1 Like   #18
Forum Member

Original Poster
thanks RB, i'll try your suggestion and update if it's successful!
11-02-2017, 09:19 AM   #19

I have exactly the same problem as Kentax with my newly arrived from ebay P3n.
I tried everything mentioned above and now I left the camera with new batteries and power switch on as Arjay Bee wrote.
Anyone solved this problem somehow?
Especially dear Kentax - any news?

11-02-2017, 11:20 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Well, since it has been 9 YEARS since Kentax said he would update us "if it's successful," I would guess that he didn't have any luck with it.
11-02-2017, 01:17 PM - 1 Like   #21
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ctrout Quote
Well, since it has been 9 YEARS since Kentax said he would update us "if it's successful," I would guess that he didn't have any luck with it.
Perhaps Vitaly bought Kentax's P3N?
11-03-2017, 04:56 AM   #22

Best just get something else, this was not a good era for consumer camera reliability. I've had decent luck with the Phoenix P1, but I avoid the 1/2000th speed. Some of them lock up with most lenses, something broken with the stop down mechanism I think.

11-13-2017, 09:49 PM   #23

QuoteOriginally posted by Ranchu Quote
Best just get something else, this was not a good era for consumer camera reliability. I've had decent luck with the Phoenix P1, but I avoid the 1/2000th speed. Some of them lock up with most lenses, something broken with the stop down mechanism I think.
Yeah, screw that, another P1 I have started having this problem. I think the stop down mechansm is just weak on this camera. Avoid it.
02-06-2018, 06:13 PM   #24

Hello I am brand new to this site. I was having the exact problem with my Pentax P3N will not advance and will not fire. So after tiring everything I had read in this post nothing worked. I decided to take off the lens, lift the mirror use my fingers one from the back of the open camera and one from under the lifted mirror and I hit the trigger and guess what she fired! You have to giggle the shutter just a little be very careful and the mirror lifted resting on-top of my finger now I am in business! Lens back on and working. Give that a try

Thank you
Markov